Theists: Which of these opinions best represents your views on Hell?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:52:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Theists: Which of these opinions best represents your views on Hell?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Hell is a real place where souls are tortured for all eternity.

Hell is a literal place, but it exists as a state of 'separation from God,' and not as a place of fire and brimstone.

Hell is merely a figurative place - it does not actually exist.

I take an agnostic view towards the existence of Hell.

Other

Not a theist

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 41

Author Topic: Theists: Which of these opinions best represents your views on Hell?  (Read 2968 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 14, 2013, 12:49:08 PM »
« edited: September 15, 2013, 07:46:05 PM by Scott »

I'm pretty agnostic about the existence of Hell.  I imagine Hell, if it exists, as a state of separation from God... not a place of fire and agony.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2013, 01:28:33 PM »
« Edited: September 14, 2013, 01:42:59 PM by HagridOfTheDeep »

Don't believe in it. There is no way humans can know Hell, let alone what it is or what it looks like. I have doubts about any kind of afterlife though, even though I'm pretty confident that there's some kind of god or god-force that governs "everything."

If there is an afterlife, I'd tend to assume that it welcomes every soul as a kind of "universal law." But maybe I'm bringing some of my biases from the physical earth into the equation, so who knows? I still have a hard time believing God judges morality though, considering I think of him as being the force behind everything. It would seem awfully superficial.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2013, 01:41:16 PM »

Separation from God is eternal torture and fire, in a sense.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 02:30:23 PM »

My church teaches that hell is eternal separation from God. We also view the fire and torture as an improvement over separation.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

Other: Hell is a place where the wicked will be punished and annihilated.  The Annihilationist viewpoint held by Seventh-Day Adventists and others I think accords best with a literal reading of the Bible. In that viewpoint, the punishment of hellfire is eternal not in the sense that it is everlasting but that its effects are everlasting and irrevocable. It's not a firm point of doctrine for me, as I've focused more on this life than the afterlife, but it is an internally consistent viewpoint, so its serves as a reasonable working theory until such time as I an able to study it further.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »

Doesn't exist of course. The early Christians viewed 'hell' along Hellenistic lines more as a domain for the dead. It wasn't really of any concern of them until the fifth century blah blah blah, well researched stuff, blah blah no one reads blah blah blah.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 03:24:25 PM »

Separation from God, and thus fire and agony.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2013, 03:45:10 PM »

Probably gradations of torment and differing styles for the unforgivable sins. It would be relatively slight for such people as druggies and drunks (they would get to stumble over each other), somewhat more dreadful for brawlers (they are beating each other incessantly and without purpose), and incredibly horrible for such horrid creatures as Holocaust perpetrators, slave traffickers, and Stalinist butchers.

Man has created Hells far worse than anything that Dante could imagine:

http://documentaryaddict.com/Alfred+Hitchcocks+Documentary+German+Death+Camps-10571-documentary.html

Alfred Hitchcock, master of dark humor as horror, narrates. Images are graphic, and not to be viewed lightly.

Another horror:

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history/ralph/resource/22slaves.htm

If God is worth believing in, then He is merciful enough toward people who worshiped the wrong God or Gods or worshiped Him the wrong way. It is hard to imagine Holocaust perpetrators or slave traffickers in the same Heaven as their innocent victims.    

Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2013, 07:17:52 PM »

In the afterlife, we'll be exposed to and see through the eyes of God all of our sins... all our imperfect thoughts, words, and actions from an objective point of view. We'll all be "naked" before the Lord.

So we will "burn" with a sense of shame, and that burning shame will separate us spiritually from God...
unless/until we find it in ourselves to accept God's love and forgiveness, and forgive and love ourselves...
as well as forgive the faults of everyone else we'll then be interacting with for eternity too.

So... a mix of option 1, option 2, and I guess purgatory. I believe eventually everyone will move beyond "hell," I'm universalist. Some may barely be there at all. But as Jesus said, the most painful punishment on Earth is better than one moment in this place/state of mind.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2013, 10:30:39 PM »

Anything other than #3 is inexcusably unreasonable.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2013, 12:38:12 AM »

#3 is reasonable only if there is no such thing as an afterlife in which our essence remembers what we did while alive.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2013, 08:10:26 AM »

It's worth pointing that this poll presupposes that 'theists' have or that forms of theism require an abstract concept of hell at all. Or is conflating the concept of an underworld or a domain of the dead with that of a doctrinal 'hell.'
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 08:49:29 AM »

It's worth pointing that this poll presupposes that 'theists' have or that forms of theism require an abstract concept of hell at all. Or is conflating the concept of an underworld or a domain of the dead with that of a doctrinal 'hell.'

It doesn't even list all the Christian views on Hell, so that's not too surprising.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2013, 11:30:17 AM »

Hell does not exist, and the soul is mortal.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2013, 11:45:57 AM »

Dead go to Hades. Until Christ returns. Righteous lives on earth with him.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2013, 07:41:32 PM »
« Edited: September 15, 2013, 07:44:46 PM by DemPGH, V.P. »

Voted 3, although 6 also applies. But I like option 2 since eternity worshipping a deity does not actually appeal to me anymore than being roasted over a fire. Well, maybe slightly, given the choice. Tongue

I think Carl Sagan had made a lovely statement about an afterlife without capital-G God; as in, one is completely free to explore the mysteries of the universe without temporal limits. Yes!

The concept of hell that exists in the popular culture was invented by Medieval "scholastics" (that term goes in major quotations because it is an abuse of the word) who also happened to be most interested in scaring the bejesus out of their audience. Well, and Dante. He made the whole thing up to get at people he didn't like. Wink Poor Celestine V. All that dude tried to do was abdicate once he realized how damn corrupt the office of the Pope was!! Probably.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2013, 08:23:04 PM »

I imagine that  it probably looks a bit like Basingstoke.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »

Well, I'm a Mormon, and we have three different levels of heaven all described to be better than Earth, so...

Basically, all but the very worst (the completely unrepentant about the most monstrous of acts, though the scriptures don't specify what those acts are) and those who have seen God/felt his presence for a fact (literally seen God), and still reject him. We call our version of Hell "outer darkness", and it's alternatively described as "lakes of fire" and simple cutting off of an individual from God, which is considered to be the worst possible fate. The "cutting off from God entirely" interpretation seems to be the dominant view at this point, and has been for decades.

Even then, there's been various implications and hints by the prophets throughout the years that an individual can escape outer darkness and possibly advance through the heavens if they're repentant enough and righteous enough. Eternity is a long time, after all.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 02:05:03 PM »

Separation from God
Sirius
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 08:01:51 PM »

My church teaches that hell is eternal separation from God. We also view the fire and torture as an improvement over separation.
Can you explain this logic to me? As an atheist, you would say I am separated from God. I certainly don't think fire and torture would make me feel any better.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 08:21:09 PM »

Can you explain this logic to me? As an atheist, you would say I am separated from God. I certainly don't think fire and torture would make me feel any better.

Well, I'd use separation in two ways; to describe man in it's fallen state and to God rejecting someone and removing casting them out of his presence.

You are separate in the former sense, but so is everyone else affected by original sin. You are not in the latter sense.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 09:37:12 PM »

I think Realisticidealist once explained his view (or rather, the Roman Catholic view) on 'separation from God.'  It goes like this: God, according to Christian teachings, is omnipresent.  Therefore, if one is 'separated' from God, they exist in a void in which He does not.  In other words, your consciousness, your personality, your thoughts, your feelings, everything - cease to exist.  Your soul does not go into a literal pit of fire and brimstone, because your soul does not go anywhere.

Either that, or you go to New Jersey.

(Couldn't resist.)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 09:39:31 PM »

I think Realisticidealist once explained his view (or rather, the Roman Catholic view) on 'separation from God.'  It goes like this: God, according to Christian teachings, is omnipresent.  Therefore, if one is 'separated' from God, they exist in a void in which He does not.  In other words, your consciousness, your personality, your thoughts, your feelings, everything - cease to exist.  Your soul does not go into a literal pit of fire and brimstone, because your soul does not go anywhere.

Either that, or you go to New Jersey.

(Couldn't resist.)

Bah dum tshhs
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2013, 09:15:34 PM »

Option 2
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2013, 08:28:29 PM »

The Roman Catholic teaching is that hell is an eternal separation from God and often understood as a "place" or "state". Eternal separation from God is believed to be torment for our souls. So options 1 and 2 both apply.

Another interesting thought is the Eastern Orthodox teaching (which the Catholic church neither concurs with nor denies) is that upon death we come to meet God and whether that is heaven or hell depends on the state of our souls.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies