Miss America 2013
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:55:29 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Miss America 2013
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Miss America 2013  (Read 1297 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 15, 2013, 09:19:18 PM »

I'll admit I'm watching it, who else is?

Miss Kansas has received a lot of press around the state - all good. I've heard of a lot of viewing parties going on here - folks are really excited about her.

As a backstory, she's an Army girl, only the second to ever compete in the pageant. She is also a proud hunter and has two tattoos that are visible, breaking a typical pageant taboo. She also just sang an incredible opera piece that she learned from YouTube.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:53:07 PM »

All these girls are always so vapid and proud of their ignorance.  I can't say I care, but props to Miss Kansas if she breaks the trend and presents herself as a positive for the world. 
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 09:59:29 PM »

Vapid celebration of the objectification of women and the imposition of beauty standards on said half of humanity.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 10:56:32 PM »

Unfortunately, she didn't make the Top 5...

Miss New York won, the girl who didn't seem to realize before the talent competition that she was Miss New York. I didn't find her impressive at all, and didn't like her answer. Oklahoma and California were the strongest in my opinion, though California probably shot herself in the foot by favoring action in Syria (a question she shouldn't have been asked).
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 02:35:16 AM »

Miss Minnesota literally never wins.  America just can't handle our strong Germanic women

Like here, she just got done saying

"Hi there.  My name is Carol.  I make a mean hotdish and I run a tight ship.  If you cross me, I will literally bulldoze you into the ground.  Yous have a nice day now."
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 03:02:06 AM »

Miss New York won, the girl who didn't seem to realize before the talent competition that she was Miss New York. I didn't find her impressive at all, and didn't like her answer. Oklahoma and California were the strongest in my opinion, though California probably shot herself in the foot by favoring action in Syria (a question she shouldn't have been asked).

Assuming she was a stereotypical beauty queen (I don't know, even if I had a TV setup to watch it, I wouldn't have.) she may have done in by the mantra of "Doing." It doesn't matter what the topic is, beauty queens typically say they'll do something about it.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 03:06:11 AM »

Assuming she was a stereotypical beauty queen (I don't know, even if I had a TV setup to watch it, I wouldn't have.) she may have done in by the mantra of "Doing." It doesn't matter what the topic is, beauty queens typically say they'll do something about it.
like cuz distributing like maps to impoverished children in South africa and the Iraq and such as
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:07:57 AM »

It apparently generated a lot of racist comments because the winner was Indian-American.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 09:14:23 AM »

Miss Minnesota literally never wins.  America just can't handle our strong Germanic women

Like here, she just got done saying

"Hi there.  My name is Carol.  I make a mean hotdish and I run a tight ship.  If you cross me, I will literally bulldoze you into the ground.  Yous have a nice day now."
What about Gretchen Carlson? Smiley
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 12:13:10 PM »

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/a-lot-of-people-are-very-upset-that-an-indian-american-woman

... please send out the drones Obama
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 12:29:12 PM »

Yay racism!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 12:29:34 PM »

Time to check how many of those Twitter accounts have been deleted.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 12:48:23 PM »

About half it seems. Par for the course. People who get hounded because of really stupid tweets they make often just end up deleting the account. Kind of works out.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 02:07:45 PM »

Vapid celebration of the objectification of women and the imposition of beauty standards on said half of humanity.

Will you drop the crap and learn how to like women again? It seems like you're systematically trying to castrate yourself.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 04:14:51 PM »

Some of the racist accounts I saw seemed to have been created solely for those tweets.

I watched too, at least the second half once I'd gotten home from work. I really wanted Miss Oklahoma to win; we have the same alma mater.

The range of questions for the final 5 were just ridiculous. And Miss Florida took a question about minorities in America and made it about herself. I'm not even sure there is a good pageant answer to the Syria or Miley Cyrus questions.

Damn Carol
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies