|           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 10:24:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1968  (Read 4029 times)
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2005, 06:03:08 AM »

1968: What if Hubert Humphrey had won over Nixon and Wallace?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 02:37:19 PM »

I think the Vietnam War would have ended pretty much the same way, only sooner.  Democrats would not have been as free to abdicate responsibility for the mess they created in Vietnam as easily under a Democratic president as they did under a Republican president.

We would not have had the bold foreign policy moves that Nixon made.  A Democrat would never had been able to open relations with China the way Nixon did, so that would have been a detriment.

Other than that, I'm not sure there would have been a huge difference.  Humphrey would have continued to pursue liberal policies that had failed, but Nixon didn't do much to turn these back anyway.

It's very hard to say.
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 09:02:35 AM »

I think the Vietnam War would have ended pretty much the same way, only sooner. Democrats would not have been as free to abdicate responsibility for the mess they created in Vietnam as easily under a Democratic president as they did under a Republican president.

We would not have had the bold foreign policy moves that Nixon made. A Democrat would never had been able to open relations with China the way Nixon did, so that would have been a detriment.

Other than that, I'm not sure there would have been a huge difference. Humphrey would have continued to pursue liberal policies that had failed, but Nixon didn't do much to turn these back anyway.

It's very hard to say.

You forgot one big thing; no Watergate. Surely that would have been a major plus?

The long term effects that has had on the national psyche continue to be very important to this day (distrust of organizations and institutions, political and non-political alike).
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 04:38:49 PM »

I think the Vietnam War would have ended pretty much the same way, only sooner. Democrats would not have been as free to abdicate responsibility for the mess they created in Vietnam as easily under a Democratic president as they did under a Republican president.

We would not have had the bold foreign policy moves that Nixon made. A Democrat would never had been able to open relations with China the way Nixon did, so that would have been a detriment.

Other than that, I'm not sure there would have been a huge difference. Humphrey would have continued to pursue liberal policies that had failed, but Nixon didn't do much to turn these back anyway.

It's very hard to say.

You forgot one big thing; no Watergate. Surely that would have been a major plus?

The long term effects that has had on the national psyche continue to be very important to this day (distrust of organizations and institutions, political and non-political alike).
Not only that, but union membership would be stronger today and the income gap would not be as great.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2015, 12:23:57 AM »

It's very hard to say.

Not only that, but union membership would be stronger today and the income gap would not be as great.

How so?

One thing that happens if Humphrey wins, in 72 he gets serious primary challenges from McCarthy or McGovern on the one hand, and George Wallace on the other.  With a President Humphrey, segregation and busing would have been even more contentious than with Nixon.  Humphrey's war policies would have been different, no Operation Menu, but I don't know enough about it to say if the US would have gotten out any sooner.  Humphrey would not be eager for an unconditional retreat.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies