Interesting PRRI survey numbers on religious left/religious right
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:48:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Interesting PRRI survey numbers on religious left/religious right
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Interesting PRRI survey numbers on religious left/religious right  (Read 839 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2013, 12:20:27 PM »

Do Americans Believe Capitalism and Government are Working?: Religious Left, Religious Right and the Future of the Economic Debate
Religious left/right/moderate statistics are on the latter half of the page.

Some highlights:
  • A newly developed religious orientation scale that combines theological, economic and social outlooks finds that 28% of Americans are religious conservatives, 38% are religious moderates, and 19% of Americans are religious progressives; additionally, 15% of Americans are nonreligious.
  • Religious progressives constitute nearly twice the proportion of Millennials (23%), compared to the Silent Generation (12%). Among Millennials, there are also roughly as many nonreligious (22%) as religious progressives.
  • Catholics (29%) constitute the largest single group among religious progressives, followed by white mainline Protestants (19%), those who are not formally affiliated with a religious tradition but who nevertheless say religion is at least somewhat important in their lives (18%), and non-Christian religious Americans such as Jews, Buddhist, Hindus, and Muslims (13%).
  • Nearly 8-in-10 (79%) religious progressives say being a religious person is mostly about doing the right thing, compared to 16% who say it is about holding the right beliefs. By contrast, a majority (54%) of religious conservatives say being a religious person is primarily about having the right beliefs, while less than 4-in-10 (38%) say it is mostly about doing the right thing.

A lot of it is stuff we already know, but it's good to have a thorough overview of where America is and where it is headed religiously.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 12:24:59 PM »

I fail to see why that's good news, but whatevs brah.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 12:45:24 PM »

Have fun being surrounded by religious progs. Grin
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 12:47:53 PM »

Interesting figures on the millenials. For comparison the non religious figure in the UK according to the Social Attitudes Survey for millenials sits at 60%. I hope to post on that soon.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

Scott, did you write about this a few months ago?

Anyways here's my quick response

1) Religious conservatives, particularly evangelicals are demographically similar to mainline Protestants in the 1950's and are poised for a similar decline.

2) There's a big difference between a "religious liberal" and a liberal who is religious. The former has a much brighter future in America than the latter.

3) Religious progressives (the kind that are liberal on theological issues) tend to be less involved on average. They may believe in God/Jesus but are less likely to attend church, give money, volunteer for a ministry etc. That sort of person is secular in all but name.  What I mean is that they'll be useful at the ballot box, but completely useless if you're trying to change a church or congregation.

tl;dr Religious conservatives have a poor outlook, an religious progressives have a positive one, but the picture is not nearly as rosy as it seems for them.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 03:16:11 PM »

I posted another survey dealing with this, yes.  This one is just more detailed and has some interesting factoids.  I personally didn't expect that there would be so many American Catholics self-identifying as 'progressive.'
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 04:52:08 PM »

I posted another survey dealing with this, yes.  This one is just more detailed and has some interesting factoids.  I personally didn't expect that there would be so many American Catholics self-identifying as 'progressive.'

Why not? At least according to most surveys that I've seen in the recent past, Catholics have been roughly on par with or slightly to the left of America as a whole for a while now. (In the more distant past they were obviously a strongly partisan Democratic group but not really a strongly ideological 'progressive' or 'liberal' one in the sense that more recent surveys usually purport to measure.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

Why not? At least according to most surveys that I've seen in the recent past, Catholics have been roughly on par with or slightly to the left of America as a whole for a while now. (In the more distant past they were obviously a strongly partisan Democratic group but not really a strongly ideological 'progressive' or 'liberal' one in the sense that more recent surveys usually purport to measure.)

I don't deny that a significant number of American Catholics differ with official church teachings, I'm just a tad surprised that mainline Protestants don't outnumber them, what with the increasing number of Protestant churches adopting moderate-to-liberal political stances.

To be fair, though, this article isn't specific about what churches these mainline Protestants are affiliated with, so I suppose that has to be considered as well.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 08:17:42 PM »

I don't deny that a significant number of American Catholics differ with official church teachings, I'm just a tad surprised that mainline Protestants don't outnumber them, what with the increasing number of Protestant churches adopting moderate-to-liberal political stances.

To be fair, though, this article isn't specific about what churches these mainline Protestants are affiliated with, so I suppose that has to be considered as well.

Mainlines as defined in the media can be a pretty broad range. Let's not forget that UMC member George W. Bush could be considered a mainline Protestant.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »

Mainlines as defined in the media can be a pretty broad range. Let's not forget that UMC member George W. Bush could be considered a mainline Protestant.

Fair enough, although Bush has considered himself an evangelical Christian for most of his life, I believe.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 08:42:46 PM »

Perhaps because the UMC is a mainline denomination?  Granted it is probably the least liberal of the mainline churches, but it is still one of them. Indeed, it's the largest of them nationally, tho locally they're about equal with the ELCA.

However, it's clear that Dubya joined the UMC because Laura was already a member.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 02:14:56 AM »

Remember that something like two-fifths of American Catholics are Hispanic.

Also it's not necessarily a question of differing from official Church teachings. It's certainly not impossible to walk the line on Catholic social theory pretty much entirely and still align oneself with the left rather than the right.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 11:04:55 AM »

Catholics are not only not in any way a homogeneous political group, they're not even a "bloc" group. Neither are mainline Protestants for that matter (and I think people tend to forget that mainline Protestants are not uncommon in the South). Also pretty much any political patterns within them comes from demographics and locations also correlated with those groups and nothing inherent to being Catholic/Protestant, essentially there shouldn't be a correlation/causation confusion here.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 10:56:45 PM »

Neither are mainline Protestants for that matter (and I think people tend to forget that mainline Protestants are not uncommon in the South).

Yeah. Like Ernest was saying above, the largest mainline denomination is also the least liberal, and is geographically distributed fairly broadly over the country, being pretty thick on the ground in parts of Appalachia, the Lower Midwest, and the Great Plains. The mainlines are also, traditionally, really overwhelmingly white.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 09:31:00 AM »

Maybe it is bad news to you because the Religious Right can no longer convince non-Christians and those with liberal or progressive beliefs that they are going to Hell if they fail to toe the theological and political line.

Aside from the Sermon on the Mount and the Crucifixion and Resurrection the rest of the New Testament is either banality or nonsense. I see no reason to believe that Jesus stood for corrupt, cruel, dishonest, rapacious elites -- they very people who judged Him deserving of death by crucifixion.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:13 PM »
« Edited: September 20, 2013, 02:50:59 PM by asexual trans victimologist »

Aside from the Sermon on the Mount and the Crucifixion and Resurrection the rest of the New Testament is either banality or nonsense.

Entirely leaving asides the Acts, the Epistles, and Revelation and limiting ourselves to the Gospels for now, you find the parables banal or nonsensical? The Nativity? The Transfiguration? (I can see nonsensical more easily than I can see banal, for what it's worth. In particular I would expect somebody who finds material of interest in the Sermon on the Mount to find at least some in the parables as well.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies