What's your Abortion Policy?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:38:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What's your Abortion Policy?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Poll
Question: Abortion Policy?
Pro-Choice

Pro-Choice, with exceptions

Somewhere in between

Pro-Life, with exceptions

Pro-Life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: What's your Abortion Policy?  (Read 14322 times)
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: December 28, 2013, 07:01:00 PM »

Appoint federal judges who are willing to uphold Roe v. Wade but also willing to give states a lot of leeway to pass their own laws, such as those recently passed in TX. 
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #76 on: December 29, 2013, 03:34:17 AM »

Abortions for some, miniature American flags for others.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #77 on: December 30, 2013, 05:12:35 PM »

So, I wonder if the pro life movement died a bit after the partial birth abortion ban act. I mean, surely many people are just content with that?
What do you guys think about this?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »

So, I wonder if the pro life movement died a bit after the partial birth abortion ban act. I mean, surely many people are just content with that?
What do you guys think about this?

I disagree for the most part. First, the pro-life hasn't really died, people have just been fixated on other issues lately. The type of people who would be content with a partial birth abortion ban are swingy moderates on the issue of abortion rather than part of the pro-life movement. Part of it too is that gay marriage has to some extent become a distraction from abortion as the most polarizing social issue. The general reaction against Christian morality that seems to be the popular trend has undoubtedly cut into the pro-life movement since the pro-life movement, for better or worse, is often associated with Christianity in the popular media. I certainly don't think the pro-life movement has been doing anything but awful at driving the media narrative surrounding abortion of late and anecdotally the last couple years don't seem to have gone well.

That being said, I can't imagine anyone who is pro-life and really values that position is content with a partial birth abortion ban. It just doesn't make all that much sense logically to believe fetuses are human lives, or deserve a chance at life, or some variation thereof, and decide that outlawing a practice that almost never happened anyway settles the issue of abortion once and for all when we still have about 800,000 of them annual in the US.
Wolverines34
Rookie
United States
« Reply #79 on: January 01, 2014, 07:03:23 PM »

Pro life. My only exception would be in cases where the mother's life is threatened. I'm unconvinced by arguments for abortion in cases of rape/incest.

Agreed here.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #80 on: January 01, 2014, 07:07:33 PM »

My policy is prevention stop it from ever happening in the first place. Strong sex education, free birth control and contraceptives are very effective at doing that. This should be the view of both parties especially Republicans it's beyond me why they are promoting abstinence over sex ed and are against birth control, supporting both is the easy way out of the whole abortion debate let's stop it from ever happening.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2014, 01:01:15 AM »

Pro-choice during the first two trimesters, pro-life except for risk to the mother's life in the third trimester.

This.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2014, 06:51:59 PM »

My policy is prevention stop it from ever happening in the first place. Strong sex education, free birth control and contraceptives are very effective at doing that. This should be the view of both parties especially Republicans it's beyond me why they are promoting abstinence over sex ed and are against birth control, supporting both is the easy way out of the whole abortion debate let's stop it from ever happening.

Completely Agree
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2014, 08:47:55 PM »

I'd allow people to have the choice the first two semesters or until the baby develops, then they must have it.

Abortion should be consider defiantly if a woman is raped by someone they have no interest in, or if incest occurs by either rape or choice (yes this happens, and not just in the south or rural areas either,) and the probably for defect is high. If a woman has a chance of going wrong with health defects then it should be ID'ed early or a C-section at the earliest chance to save the baby should be considered.

Technology in the pregnancy field is a lot better off.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2014, 09:29:30 AM »

Abortion is a medical procedure that should be included in universal healthcare coverage regardless of income level.

I don't support restrictions on abortion if that's what the poll is asking.
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #85 on: January 10, 2014, 09:35:33 AM »
« Edited: January 10, 2014, 09:38:05 AM by HockeyDude »

I find myself moving left on this issue, too.  Honestly.  Whatever.  A woman can do whatever she wants.  If not going to pretend that I ever lose sleep over the unborn because I don't.  If that makes me an HP, whatever, but I refuse to play a martyr and feign personal concern where there is none. 

Partial-birth abortion is a bit sick, but other than that... rock and roll, ladies.  
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 10, 2014, 09:49:20 AM »

Partial-birth abortion is a bit sick, but other than that... rock and roll, ladies. 

Dilation & extraction (aka partial birth abortion) can actually be a safer method of performing a late termination than dilation & evacuation as the latter risks leaving parts of the fetus in the uterus, increasing the risk of infection.  It is grisly, but they were rare enough prior to the uproar resulting in the 'PBA' ban that it should be recognized as a smokescreen to advance an agenda that threatens reproductive autonomy.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: January 10, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »

Dilation & extraction (aka partial birth abortion) can actually be a safer method of performing a late termination than dilation & evacuation as the latter risks leaving parts of the fetus in the uterus, increasing the risk of infection.  It is grisly, but they were rare enough prior to the uproar resulting in the 'PBA' ban that it should be recognized as a smokescreen to advance an agenda that threatens reproductive autonomy.

Of course, but that doesn't take away from it being grisly and that the infant should be viable at that point.  Child rape is relatively rare... shall we leave that unpunished and permissible? 
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: January 10, 2014, 10:20:30 AM »

Of course, but that doesn't take away from it being grisly and that the infant should be viable at that point.  Child rape is relatively rare... shall we leave that unpunished and permissible? 

Well, if your concern is with the age of the fetus, your problem is not so much with 'partial birth abortion' as a procedure and more to do with its viability regardless of how the termination is conducted.  What I'm trying to say is that a ban on 'partial birth' doesn't target these late term abortions, but rather a specific way of performing them.  The comparison to child rape is not helpful.

If you lack a desire to prohibit late-term terminations but still support a ban on the D&X procedure, I recommend researching the opposition to this ban, as it was actually extraordinarily rare and generally used only for reasons to protect the health of the mother.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »

Well, if your concern is with the age of the fetus, your problem is not so much with 'partial birth abortion' as a procedure and more to do with its viability regardless of how the termination is conducted.  What I'm trying to say is that a ban on 'partial birth' doesn't target these late term abortions, but rather a specific way of performing them.  The comparison to child rape is not helpful.

If you lack a desire to prohibit late-term terminations but still support a ban on the D&X procedure, I recommend researching the opposition to this ban, as it was actually extraordinarily rare and generally used only for reasons to protect the health of the mother.

I was under the impression that partial birth abortion was the preeminent method of performing any kind of late-term termination.   That said, to clarify; I am opposed to any method of abortion that would terminate a fetus that is viable with exception to rape, incest, and life of the mother.  (I include rape and incest because in such dreadful situations I would not think to put some kind of time limit on the woman to have the abortion, as I can imagine the entire situation has been, and will continue to be, quite traumatizing.)  So, that being said, if partial-birth abortion is rare, and used mainly in cases where it would help to save the mother's life, than I can't be opposed to it IN THOSE CASES. 
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2014, 08:07:48 PM »

Pro-life, unless the mother's life is severely threatened.
This.
New_Conservative
United States

« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
« Edited: January 21, 2014, 07:58:19 PM by BrandenCordeiro »

Pretty interesting to see most of this board, by a wide margin is pro-choice even though the country is basically split on this.

I am pro-life, except in cases of rape/incest and if the mother's life is threatened.

I have moved right on this issue, 2 years ago I was pro-choice.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »

Pretty interesting to see most of this board, by a wide margin is pro-choice even though the country is basically split on this.

I am pro-life, except in cases of rape/incest and if the mother's life is threatened.

I have moved right on this issue, 2 years ago I was pro-choice.

This board is very liberal on almost all social issues. Compared to other social issues, it's actually kind of moderate on abortion. This is one of the few issues where the socon side can muster double digits on here Wink
Repub242
Jack982
Rookie
United States

« Reply #93 on: May 22, 2014, 03:55:25 PM »

I'm pro life, only exception is when a woman's life is at risk.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies