What's your Abortion Policy? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:37:33 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  What's your Abortion Policy? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Abortion Policy?
Pro-Choice

Pro-Choice, with exceptions

Somewhere in between

Pro-Life, with exceptions

Pro-Life

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: What's your Abortion Policy?  (Read 14380 times)
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« on: September 16, 2013, 10:11:29 PM »

Pro-life, only exception being to save the mother's life. As a prudential matter, I would accept the rape exception as well if it meant getting a ban otherwise passed. The rape exception is illogical but so is politics.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:51:54 PM »

So, I wonder if the pro life movement died a bit after the partial birth abortion ban act. I mean, surely many people are just content with that?
What do you guys think about this?

I disagree for the most part. First, the pro-life hasn't really died, people have just been fixated on other issues lately. The type of people who would be content with a partial birth abortion ban are swingy moderates on the issue of abortion rather than part of the pro-life movement. Part of it too is that gay marriage has to some extent become a distraction from abortion as the most polarizing social issue. The general reaction against Christian morality that seems to be the popular trend has undoubtedly cut into the pro-life movement since the pro-life movement, for better or worse, is often associated with Christianity in the popular media. I certainly don't think the pro-life movement has been doing anything but awful at driving the media narrative surrounding abortion of late and anecdotally the last couple years don't seem to have gone well.

That being said, I can't imagine anyone who is pro-life and really values that position is content with a partial birth abortion ban. It just doesn't make all that much sense logically to believe fetuses are human lives, or deserve a chance at life, or some variation thereof, and decide that outlawing a practice that almost never happened anyway settles the issue of abortion once and for all when we still have about 800,000 of them annual in the US.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 01:05:04 AM »

Pretty interesting to see most of this board, by a wide margin is pro-choice even though the country is basically split on this.

I am pro-life, except in cases of rape/incest and if the mother's life is threatened.

I have moved right on this issue, 2 years ago I was pro-choice.

This board is very liberal on almost all social issues. Compared to other social issues, it's actually kind of moderate on abortion. This is one of the few issues where the socon side can muster double digits on here Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies