Opinion of runner's highs?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:50:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of runner's highs?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Schyeah!
The best

Too lazy to run

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 22

Author Topic: Opinion of runner's highs?  (Read 1506 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:22:51 PM »

It's like far out man. Don't bother spending money on drugs when you can just run a mile.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:24:01 PM »

It is a good high. Pumping iron is too. In fact, it has certain similarities to sex. That is why guys dig it I suspect, along with the obvious benefits.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:35:15 PM »

The furthest I've ever gone is five miles and I hated every bit of it. Some idiot convinced me to enter a 5k in November, though, and I'm curious to see how I'll do after a year of basically nothing but weightlifting and grilled cheese sandwiches.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:37:37 PM »

I ran one freakin' mile and I'm still messed up from it. This is awesome. Why do people pay for this thing when they can get it by exercising and not sleeping?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:09 PM »

My personal best is slightly more than 10 miles. It's great (and, during the school year, jogging is my only constant source of exercise). I try to do at least 3 miles every day.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »

What you're experiencing is literally a mix of an opiate and a cannabis high. The reason I'd rather pay for that than exercise is because I find the menial conveyor-belt labor needed to make money for most people in modern America to be the lesser of two evils compared to intense physical work. Both are terrible though, which is why we need a single-payer healthcare system that covers "recreational" drugs as well as legal ones.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:42:31 PM »

I cramp easily when I run, and when I do, I hurt everywhere. Even after I warm up!  So, running's not for me.  I usually walk or bike.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:52:46 PM »

What you're experiencing is literally a mix of an opiate and a cannabis high. The reason I'd rather pay for that than exercise is because I find the menial conveyor-belt labor needed to make money for most people in modern America to be the lesser of two evils compared to intense physical work. Both are terrible though, which is why we need a single-payer healthcare system that covers "recreational" drugs as well as legal ones.

Drj. If humanity had been led by people with your philosophy, we never would have made it out of the proverbial and/or literal primordial soup because we would have died so early on due to a complete rejection of the ideas of hard labor. Human accomplishment, assuming that by dumb luck we would have survived, would be reduced to stacking a few sticks and being dumbfounded as to what new avenues we'd discovered. No person would ever achieve anything ever before our race finally died the death it deserved.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:11 PM »

A large part of running, relating to the high, is the struggle. To compete in a distance race, one must strive with sheer will against all his body's signals telling him to stop, to quit, to lay down by side of the road, to capitulate to the comforts of this life. To keep going is something akin to keeping the faith in a world that pulls you otherwise. The high then corresponds to having finished the race and being able to sit back with a feeling of pride or even relief by your accomplishments or shame at your failure. And much like life, you have never reached the top even if you win. You can always do better unless you collapse in the chute. You can never really be satisfied; to remain a runner means to acknowledge some smoldering fire within biding its time until the next time a bundle of logs thrown on to transform it once more into a fiery blaze to rise up and put it all out on the course once more.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:07:08 PM »

A large part of running, relating to the high, is the struggle. To compete in a distance race, one must strive with sheer will against all his body's signals telling him to stop, to quit, to lay down by side of the road, to capitulate to the comforts of this life. To keep going is something akin to keeping the faith in a world that pulls you otherwise. The high then corresponds to having finished the race and being able to sit back with a feeling of pride or even relief by your accomplishments or shame at your failure. And much like life, you have never reached the top even if you win. You can always do better unless you collapse in the chute. You can never really be satisfied; to remain a runner means to acknowledge some smoldering fire within biding its time until the next time a bundle of logs thrown on to transform it once more into a fiery blaze to rise up and put it all out on the course once more.

That's deep.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »

That's deep.

It's f#cking poetry is what it is.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2013, 10:12:23 PM »

Drj. If humanity had been led by people with your philosophy, we never would have made it out of the proverbial and/or literal primordial soup because we would have died so early on due to a complete rejection of the ideas of hard labor. Human accomplishment, assuming that by dumb luck we would have survived, would be reduced to stacking a few sticks and being dumbfounded as to what new avenues we'd discovered. No person would ever achieve anything ever before our race finally died the death it deserved.

I disagree. How would we create great works of art, science, and philosophy if we were all too busy slaving away at some "job" all day? A huge part of humankind's accomplishments have come through idleness, dilettantism, and drugs. As a fan of 60s/70s music, you should be well aware of this.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »

I disagree. How would we create great works of art, science, and philosophy if we were all too busy slaving away at some "job" all day? A huge part of humankind's accomplishments have come through idleness, dilettantism, and drugs. As a fan of 60s/70s music, you should be well aware of this.

The reason a person today could survive while hanging around an apartment, smoking pot a good majority of the time is a testament to, not a repudiation of, the works of labor. The idea that one would see society--or rather themselves, conveniently enough.--abandon the idea that labor would be required to construct their world is one who would see themselves living homeless in the woods with little priority but to speed their inevitable end.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 10:31:57 PM »

I cramp easily when I run, and when I do, I hurt everywhere. Even after I warm up!  So, running's not for me.  I usually walk or bike.

This describes me as well. Perhaps because I'm a bit overweight?
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 10:32:43 PM »

There's a huge difference between doing things for the benefit of yourself and others and "work", especially "work" as used to mean institutionalized wage slavery.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 10:40:37 PM »

Oh, by far the best I feel all day is after a good run. I'm not a marathoner, though - I run to just stay in shape, but as to the high, I wouldn't say I experience a high - although it sometimes comes close. The closest I come to a high after a good run is when it's really warm outside, for whatever reason: an early morning run during midsummer is glorious. And I try to run outside as much as absolutely possible. It's got to be pouring snow, there's got to be ice, or else really deep cold for me to run inside, because I dislike running in cold. The body is stiff and the joints and muscles say, "Nope. Go inside today."  
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 03:51:36 PM »

One of the best parts of my day.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »

I don't know that I've ever had one. I don't run, but I work my R-MI off on the elliptical machine at the gym. After a half hour, I'm so sweaty that I look like I just got out of a swimming pool, and I am both very proud of myself for enduring the unpleasantness and overjoyed that I will not have to face it until the next day. I wouldn't call that a high though.  Being high and being proud of an accomplishment are two completely different emotions.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 04:36:58 PM »

I've never exerted myself in any way.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 04:41:46 PM »

I've never exerted myself in any way.

You know who said to the effect that, "Every time I get the urge to exercise, I just lie down until it goes away?" Smiley
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 05:24:55 PM »

It's no gym or post sex rush, but it's okay Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 05:54:21 PM »

I've had elliptical highs and they're cool.  I haven't exercised much since I began drinking again in late July.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:37 PM »

I'm too fat to get any sort of runner's high. The only thing I get from running is knee pain.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 08:53:52 PM »

Fraudulent concept.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »

How so? I've been stoned off my ass the last three days (including this day) thanks to lifting then running.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies