Regional Consolidation: Where to draw the lines?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 05:51:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Regional Consolidation: Where to draw the lines?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Regional Consolidation: Where to draw the lines?  (Read 2914 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 16, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »

I think it will be beneficial to start an open and public nationwide dialogue on this topic. Here's a nationwide population map, per the Census Bureau's most recent information; how do you think a three or four region Atlasia should look?

Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:36 PM »

Tinkering around with it, it looks like a three region map must substantially resemble this one:

Anything that differs from this map by more than a few states will either have a sizable population disparity or rather nonsensical borders. There might be another sensible split, but I haven't found anything.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 09:37:34 PM »

Four regions:

Three regions:
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:47:34 PM »

Tinkering around with it, it looks like a three region map must substantially resemble this one:

Anything that differs from this map by more than a few states will either have a sizable population disparity or rather nonsensical borders. There might be another sensible split, but I haven't found anything.

I approve of the end result and I approve of the means. I could support this.

I would also be okay with Scott's proposal for 4 regions although I don't know what the numbers come out to.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 09:50:47 PM »

Green: 45
Blue: 35
Red: 39
Yellow: 58

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Green: 81
Blue: 56
Red: 41
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2013, 09:51:07 PM »

Keep in mind that people are likely to change states no matter what the new map looks like, so population shouldn't be of huge concern.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2013, 09:56:33 PM »

I agree with this map the most, it makes the most sense, to me anyways. In terms of geography, it makes the most sense to me.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2013, 09:59:12 PM »
« Edited: September 16, 2013, 10:03:33 PM by Bacon King »

Keep in mind that people are likely to change states no matter what the new map looks like, so population shouldn't be of huge concern.

Some people will move regions, definitely, but arguably if you draw the regions with roughly equal populations, then roughly equal numbers will be moving to and from each new region so population should still be roughly equitable in the end.

And here's my first shot at a four-region map:

edit: I only now realized this is literally Scott's four region map except MD is flipped Tongue

doubleedit: and furthermore wow I am terrible at addition apparently, the Southeast region has 39 not 50, I think I accidentally counted VA with the south when I did the counting
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2013, 10:49:13 PM »

The current map is fine. While many of the four region maps are tolerable the three region maps are absolutely horrid. As it is I oppose any idea of regional consolidation due to its irreparable harm towards the Mideast region.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2013, 10:56:15 PM »

The current map is fine. While many of the four region maps are tolerable the three region maps are absolutely horrid. As it is I oppose any idea of regional consolidation due to its irreparable harm towards the Mideast region.

I agree that is the biggest shortcoming of a "three region" plan. Given its central location, the Mideast would essentially be forced to be split between all three regions.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2013, 11:00:51 PM »

I agree that is the biggest shortcoming of a "three region" plan. Given its central location, the Mideast would essentially be forced to be split between all three regions.

Sounds like a gang rape, when you think about it.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2013, 12:59:49 AM »

As it seems the Senate will leave the drawing to the regional executives, we absolutely encourage universal participation.

As for chopping up the regions, we'll do our best to make it equitable for all regions, so it'll be more of a circle jerk than gang rape.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2013, 01:05:29 AM »

As it seems the Senate will leave the drawing to the regional executives, we absolutely encourage universal participation.

As for chopping up the regions, we'll do our best to make it equitable for all regions, so it'll be more of a circle jerk than gang rape.

Either way, I'd like to participate. Grin
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2013, 01:08:15 AM »

You'd like to participate in a gang rape?!!!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2013, 01:13:17 AM »

You'd like to participate in a gang rape?!!!

It's a joke. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2013, 01:39:32 AM »
« Edited: September 17, 2013, 02:00:03 AM by Plain Ol' Prole Griffin »

Move over, boys, and let me show you a man's map:

• Virtually equal in population.
  • Panders to the Mideasterners by keeping the vast majority of the region together (which is frankly as much as any region could expect).
  • By keeping the vast majority of all five regions intact (and two of the regions completely intact), we minimize the likelihood of increased movements following its implementation.
  • While I haven't crunched the exact numbers yet, by my glance it would seem that all three regions would be very competitive on both a partisan and ideological level.

Effectively, the ME & MW would merge, along with the PAC & IDS. Now I know some are going to say, "Adam, that red region looks ridiculous". Maybe just a bit, but stay with me here.

The current Mideast would lose Virginia, Maryland and Nyman to the new "Eastern" region. The Midwest would be preserved (save for Oklahoma) and join the bulk of the Mideast to form the "Mid" region.

The Pacific would be preserved in its entirety and join the bulk of the IDS, along with Oklahoma to form the "South-West" region. North Carolina and South Carolina would be transferred to the "Eastern" region.

The Northeast would be preserved in its entirety and join the remnants of the Mideast and IDS to form the "Eastern Region".

Areas in lighter colors below show the total number of territories that would be impacted by this redistricting (as in, territories that would no longer be with the bulk of their current region). 6/53 ain't bad.

EDIT: Whoops. Doing a disservice to a fabulous former Labor President by not including our Canadian friends in the calculations. Each Canadian territory is left with the bulk of its native region:

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:30 AM »

Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 02:57:03 AM »

Can we leave Canada out of this? Canada is a hideous, ugly thing that makes every map worse.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2013, 02:57:53 AM »

Sad Sad I guess that's what I get for being Obama-esque and attempting a compromise before dialogue. I guess that'd make you...

Can we leave Canada out of this? Canada is a hideous, ugly thing that makes every map worse.

Two out of three of my maps posted there do not visually include it, but Canada is here to stay and so it is important to at least consider it in the process.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2013, 06:25:23 AM »

Lets annex Mexico.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2013, 08:56:52 AM »

Move over, boys, and let me show you a man's map:

• Virtually equal in population.
  • Panders to the Mideasterners by keeping the vast majority of the region together (which is frankly as much as any region could expect).
  • By keeping the vast majority of all five regions intact (and two of the regions completely intact), we minimize the likelihood of increased movements following its implementation.
  • While I haven't crunched the exact numbers yet, by my glance it would seem that all three regions would be very competitive on both a partisan and ideological level.

Effectively, the ME & MW would merge, along with the PAC & IDS. Now I know some are going to say, "Adam, that red region looks ridiculous". Maybe just a bit, but stay with me here.

The current Mideast would lose Virginia, Maryland and Nyman to the new "Eastern" region. The Midwest would be preserved (save for Oklahoma) and join the bulk of the Mideast to form the "Mid" region.

The Pacific would be preserved in its entirety and join the bulk of the IDS, along with Oklahoma to form the "South-West" region. North Carolina and South Carolina would be transferred to the "Eastern" region.

The Northeast would be preserved in its entirety and join the remnants of the Mideast and IDS to form the "Eastern Region".

Areas in lighter colors below show the total number of territories that would be impacted by this redistricting (as in, territories that would no longer be with the bulk of their current region). 6/53 ain't bad.

EDIT: Whoops. Doing a disservice to a fabulous former Labor President by not including our Canadian friends in the calculations. Each Canadian territory is left with the bulk of its native region:

Just to be clear, this post is not a commitment to support your map or anything like that.  That being said, props to you for coming up with the best/fairest three region map I've seen so far.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2013, 09:18:43 AM »

Adam:

Including Canada on the maps would not be appropriate because, strictly speaking, no part of Canada is part of any region and the Canadian provinces are only associated with specific regions due to a bilateral treaty that can not be altered without the consent of the Canadian government!

bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2013, 01:16:03 PM »

Personally I favour the 3 region plan, and I'm completely indifferent as to what the lines actually look like. However, if we're doing a 4 region plan, then to me it would make sense just to liquidize either the pacific or the midwest and combine them with each other/ divvy up their states. This would not only lead to a fairly equal balance of population, but also would allow the other 4 states to basically keep their own statues/ways of doing things etc.

Also, it's kind of disappointing to see so many kneejerk anti game reform statements. I am fully expecting this regional consolidation to come to nothing despite almost all active players wanting it, due to the usual anti any and all change individuals. It's blatantly obvious that atlasia in it's current form is not working, and we need to do something about this. A good example of opposition to change for the sake of it is the current ratification amendment. It basically involves giving the SOFE the power to regulate constitutional amendments, as governors far to often fail to open the polls on time. That is currently failing in the mideast and south and narrowly leading in the midwest- yet two regions, my own and the pacific haven't even opened the booths, further illustrating the point of the amendment.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2013, 01:44:16 PM »

Personally I favour the 3 region plan, and I'm completely indifferent as to what the lines actually look like. However, if we're doing a 4 region plan, then to me it would make sense just to liquidize either the pacific or the midwest and combine them with each other/ divvy up their states. This would not only lead to a fairly equal balance of population, but also would allow the other 4 states to basically keep their own statues/ways of doing things etc.

Also, it's kind of disappointing to see so many kneejerk anti game reform statements. I am fully expecting this regional consolidation to come to nothing despite almost all active players wanting it, due to the usual anti any and all change individuals. It's blatantly obvious that atlasia in it's current form is not working, and we need to do something about this. A good example of opposition to change for the sake of it is the current ratification amendment. It basically involves giving the SOFE the power to regulate constitutional amendments, as governors far to often fail to open the polls on time. That is currently failing in the mideast and south and narrowly leading in the midwest- yet two regions, my own and the pacific haven't even opened the booths, further illustrating the point of the amendment.

The Pacific has had its Ratification Amendment Ratification open for quite a while. Currently, in the Pacific, the Council has the unilateral power to pass/reject federal amendments, and was basically the impetus for this amendment in the first place (the SoFE part was just tacked on). So, yes, the amendment is likely to fail in the Pacific, too.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2013, 02:47:42 PM »

Party-list proportional representation for the Senate. A lower house elected by lottery. Abolition of the regions.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies