Is being anti-gay marriage now unacceptable for a national Democratic candidate?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:06:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Is being anti-gay marriage now unacceptable for a national Democratic candidate?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: So?
Yes
No
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Is being anti-gay marriage now unacceptable for a national Democratic candidate?  (Read 6529 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2013, 07:00:02 PM »

For a national Democratic candidate? Probably.

That won't stop Democrats from running candidates that are against gay marriage in states where they probably could run a candidate for it.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2013, 07:12:41 PM »

Of course it is. They continue to purge moderates.

...you're kidding, right? The Democratic Party is center-right by every meaningful definition and has been since Clinton's policy of triangulation at home and imperialism abroad.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:20 PM »

...you're kidding, right? The Democratic Party is center-right by every meaningful definition and has been since Clinton's policy of triangulation at home and imperialism abroad.

Yeah for real. The Republican one is the one purging moderates.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2013, 07:15:59 PM »

Yes. I would certainly oppose them in the primary for this reason alone, and consider voting third party if they somehow got the nomination.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2013, 07:47:46 PM »

Phil is just trolling like usual.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 09:02:57 PM »

I am proud that in the Democratic Party we are now pushing for full equality.  And I cannot imagine the 2016 Democratic nominee opposing same-sex marriage.  Every single rumored 2016 candidate:  Clinton, Biden, Cuomo, Warren, O'Malley, Gillibrand, etc. all support same-sex marriage.  That's not a coincidence.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2013, 09:07:25 PM »

In first-in-the-nation New Hampshire, 82% of Obama voters, 78% of Democrats, and even 72% of moderates support gay marriage. In the South, the Democratic party is about split down the middle -- half support gay marriage, half oppose.

The numbers just aren't there for a Democrat to oppose gay marriage anymore.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2013, 10:49:25 PM »

I am proud that in the Democratic Party we are now pushing for full equality.  And I cannot imagine the 2016 Democratic nominee opposing same-sex marriage.  Every single rumored 2016 candidate:  Clinton, Biden, Cuomo, Warren, O'Malley, Gillibrand, etc. all support same-sex marriage.  That's not a coincidence.

They've pushed for equality, but pushed away anyone who disagrees with them on this position. It's terrible.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 11:27:36 PM »

They've pushed for equality, but pushed away anyone who disagrees with them on this position. It's terrible.

Yes, how terrible that bigots don't feel welcome in the Democratic Party. Sad
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2013, 06:04:18 AM »

The GOP is pushing out all their moderates, extremists bastards... Boy I hate those f[inks]ing DINOs who don't like marriage equality, they shouldn't be Democrats.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2013, 07:15:21 AM »

The GOP is pushing out all their moderates, extremists bastards... Boy I hate those f[inks]ing DINOs who don't like marriage equality, they shouldn't be Democrats.

This is a stupid comparison ... Marriage equality is an issue of fundamental human rights.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2013, 07:38:32 AM »

Given as the Democratic Party is capitalist, this is blatantly dishonest.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2013, 07:41:32 AM »

This is a stupid comparison ... Marriage equality is an issue of fundamental human rights.

So's gun rights or pro life to the GOP, it doesn't change the political makeup of the nation.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2013, 12:28:32 PM »

Purists:

Yes. I would certainly oppose them in the primary for this reason alone, and consider voting third party if they somehow got the nomination.

Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2013, 01:44:11 PM »

Purists:

Opposing gay marriages is just a bigoted position. Opposing someone with those views is different from launching primary challenges against anyone who dares to work with a President who is of the opposite political party. Those sorts of frivolous challenges happen much more frequently in the Republican party as opposed to the Democratic party.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2013, 02:17:43 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2013, 02:24:04 PM by Torie »

Purists:

Opposing gay marriages is just a bigoted position. Opposing someone with those views is different from launching primary challenges against anyone who dares to work with a President who is of the opposite political party. Those sorts of frivolous challenges happen much more frequently in the Republican party as opposed to the Democratic party.

It's still f'ing remarkable to me how in so sort a time support of SSM in the Dem party at least, went from being a minority position the better to be closeted as politically inconvenient, to being a matter of conscience akin to racial discrimination, where to hold an anti SSM marriage position, is just inimical to a core belief of most party adherents. It would be interesting to ponder just why it changed so fast.

I do know in my experience, that letting folks know that I am gay, or have a bf living with me, or whatever, is about as roiling to the waters as noting that it is an usually hot and humid day. It's a great big so what. And for that, I bow down my head in thanks for the blessings conferred upon me.

Oh, and support of SSM is up to a third among Pubs now, with younger cohorts more favorable than Pub geezers of course. I suspect that will now ratchet up more quickly as the mainstream Pub politician position is to avoid the issue like the plague, and get it the F off the table ASAP.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2013, 02:20:00 PM »

I do know in my experience, that letting folks know that I am gay, or have a bf living with me, or whatever, is about as roiling to the waters as noting that it is an usually hot and humid day. It's a great big so what. And for that, I bow down my head in thanks for the blessings conferred upon me.

When you and Memo tie the knot I want an invitation, old man! 
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2013, 02:25:15 PM »

When you and Memo tie the knot I want an invitation, old man! 

It's Dan. I have many men in my life - many. Cheers. And thanks for the kind sentiment by the way. I appreciate it. Smiley
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2013, 02:40:04 PM »

Civil unions is the moderate position not opposition to same sex marriage.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2013, 04:10:17 PM »

Separate but equal.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #45 on: September 18, 2013, 04:31:21 PM »

Purists:

Predictably, purism is only bad when the side you despise practices it.

If a right winger believes that abortion is the taking of an innocent life and wants a Pro Choice Republican defeated, you'd cry about ridiculous litmus tests. I'm supposed to respect your opinion that ousting someone because of one issue is acceptable but you can't wrap your mind around when Republicans do it on any issue, right?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #46 on: September 18, 2013, 04:42:45 PM »

63% of U.S. moderates support making gay marriage legal in all 50 states. Gay marriage is the moderate position.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163730/back-law-legalize-gay-marriage-states.aspx
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2013, 04:52:24 PM »

63% of U.S. moderates support making gay marriage legal in all 50 states. Gay marriage is the moderate position.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/163730/back-law-legalize-gay-marriage-states.aspx

Can we call you Mr. Moderate again?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2013, 05:33:21 PM »

Good try, Phil.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2013, 05:42:03 PM »

Center-Right? Why do you think the democratic party is somehow moderate? Even around the world, they take center-left positions.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies