U.S. troop deaths now top 1,500
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:20:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: U.S. troop deaths now top 1,500  (Read 1158 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:34:25 AM »

Not intended to be flame thread or whatever you wanna' call it.  Just take time out and think about that number.  One Thousand Five Hundred.  Pray that its all over soon...

BAGHDAD, Iraq -- The number of U.S. troops killed in Iraq has topped 1,500, an Associated Press count showed today after the military announced the deaths of three Americans, while car bombs targeting Iraqi security forces killed at least four people in separate attacks.

Two suicide car bombs exploded outside the Interior Ministry in eastern Baghdad today, killing at least two policemen and wounding five others, police Maj. Jabar Hassan said. Officials at nearby al-Kindi hospital said 15 people were injured in the blasts, part of the relentless wave of violence since the Jan. 30 elections.

Another car bomb targeting a police convoy exploded in Baqouba, 35 miles northeast of the capital, killing one Iraqi policeman and a civilian, the U.S. military said. Six police and 10 other civilians were also wounded.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:18:54 AM »

What a waste.  You have to give the Resistance credit, they're doing pretty well considering the odds against them.
The Man From G.O.P.
TJN2024
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:40:35 PM »

What a waste.  You have to give the Resistance credit, they're doing pretty well considering the odds against them.

Not sure how to respond to you there, we don't have to give murdering bastards like them any credit obepo.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 07:03:15 PM »

Not sure how to respond to you there, we don't have to give murdering bastards like them any credit obepo.

Id give them the opposite - they're doing terribly. This war can't even compare to Vietnam, only 1,500 deaths so far - a terrible loss to be sure, but statistically speaking that's very low for loss of troops.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 09:32:19 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2005, 09:34:31 PM by nickshepDEM »

1,500 is the "official" number. Some insiders estimate it to be much higher than 1,500.  If you are hit with shrapnel, but die in hospital, you don't go towards the "official" count.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2005, 09:47:37 PM »

1,500 is the "official" number. Some insiders estimate it to be much higher than 1,500.  If you are hit with shrapnel, but die in hospital, you don't go towards the "official" count.

Much higher due to these indirect deaths?  Surely there haven't been THAT many.

I'm much more positive about Iraq now than I was before.  I'm a big fan of democracy abroad.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2005, 09:56:03 PM »
« Edited: March 03, 2005, 09:57:46 PM by nickshepDEM »

I'm much more positive about Iraq now than I was before.  I'm a big fan of democracy abroad.

Im more positive too, but it still isnt a cake walk.  A couple days ago there was the biggest attack since the initial invasion.  115 Iraqi civilans were killed by a car bomb.

I was just pointing out that not every U.S. Soldier that dies in Iraq is counted in the 1,500 "official" number.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2005, 10:30:16 PM »

Im more positive too, but it still isnt a cake walk.  A couple days ago there was the biggest attack since the initial invasion.  115 Iraqi civilans were killed by a car bomb.

I was just pointing out that not every U.S. Soldier that dies in Iraq is counted in the 1,500 "official" number.

I understand that the real number may not be exactly 1,500.  However, I doubt the real number is "much higher," which is what you said.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2005, 11:04:35 PM »

Not really opebo.  In almost two years of war, they've only managed to kill 1500K troops of ours.  To put that in perspective, in the Battle of Tarawa in 1943, they say we lost 3 times that number in the entire three day battle. Obviously, you must be either delusional, which I don't doubt, or really anxious to see more soldiers die if you just throw bullsh**t like that out their.  We've accomplished more with 1500K dead than any army since the middle ages, and it's people like you who should hold your heads down in shame.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 01:31:39 AM »

Not really opebo.  In almost two years of war, they've only managed to kill 1500K troops of ours.  To put that in perspective, in the Battle of Tarawa in 1943, they say we lost 3 times that number in the entire three day battle. Obviously, you must be either delusional, which I don't doubt, or really anxious to see more soldiers die if you just throw bullsh**t like that out their.  We've accomplished more with 1500K dead than any army since the middle ages, and it's people like you who should hold your heads down in shame.

You really can't compare #'s to previous wars.  With the various technology advances in aid and protection the deaths are going to be MUCH MUCH lower now than if the same war with the same type of result happened 30 years ago
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 01:35:42 AM »

That's like saying you can't say World War II is more deadly than the Revolutionary War, because it's obviously going to be that way because of advancements weaponry and the size of the conflict.

That doesn't keep World War II from being more deadly. That's what makes it more deadly.

You cannot say this war is terribly deadly while at the same time acknowledging all the reasons that it really isn't.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:44:38 AM »

Iraq will not be a democracy. The results showed that. We will soon have a situation like Algeria 1992 where the military had to throw a coup and cancel elections to stop a fundamentalist Islamic extremist party from winning the election and taking control of the government. And Iraq just gave a bit of a mandate to the same fundie theocrats. Hopefully the Iraqi military has leaders willing to do the same thing to save the country from the coming Sistani regime.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 07:52:20 AM »

The reason you call the Resistance 'murdering bastards' and the Invaders something else is just point of view.  Lets at least admit that they are very brave to stand up the the far superior U.S. force.   One wonders what individual Americans' response would be if we were invaded.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies