Introducing myself!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:46:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Introducing myself!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Author Topic: Introducing myself!  (Read 7909 times)
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 11:57:59 PM »

This is weird and sad. Why would someone do this? Why invent such a character and continue to play it even after being called out.

Is there a reason the mods say your IP is from Colorado? Huh
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:24 PM »

Or South Dakota, whatever. America is all the same.
roux18
Russian Federation

« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:47 PM »

This is weird and sad. Why would someone do this? Why invent such a character and continue to play it even after being called out.

Is there a reason the mods say your IP is from Colorado? Huh

My computer is a laptop?  I really don't know anything about IP addresses...

I swear that I am not TDAS though, and if my account gets suspended because of this than it really is a shame.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2013, 12:06:37 AM »

Assuming you are what you say you are...what is your take on the recently enacted anti-gay laws in Russia?
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 12:14:13 AM »

...Simfan?
roux18
Russian Federation

« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2013, 12:17:07 AM »

Assuming you are what you say you are...what is your take on the recently enacted anti-gay laws in Russia?

Quite frankly I think that it is awful. 

While I'm typically not very sympathetic to the GLBT cause, I don't think they should have to live in fear like they have to in Russia. 
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2013, 12:20:59 AM »

While I'm typically not very sympathetic to the GLBT cause, I don't think they should have to live in fear like they have to in Russia. 

What is the general attitude of people in Moscow?  Are most folks in favor of it?
roux18
Russian Federation

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2013, 12:25:20 AM »

What is the general attitude of people in Moscow?  Are most folks in favor of it?

Its very much a socioeconomic thing. 

Of course, most of my social circle (which is overwhelmingly composed of other Americans, Britons, and Canadians) is vehemently against the law.  However, Moscow's large working class is probably the most socially conservative (yet in a non-religious kinda way) group that you will ever see and they think that the laws don't go far enough

Now, the upper-class in Moscow is pretty evenly split.  A lot of your more young, bourgeoisie-types (what we would call latte liberals in the US) are against the laws, but the conservative political establishment (what we would call K Street types in the US) are supportive of the rules.  In other cities though, like St. Petersburg, the upper-class is much more liberal than it is in Moscow. 
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 12:27:10 AM »

This is amazing to watch.
Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 02:04:26 AM »

Wait the moderators can see our IP addresses? I don't even know how IP addresses work. Do IP addresses show my exact location? Of course I have posted about my approximate location before but never the exact one.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 02:16:45 AM »

Wait the moderators can see our IP addresses? I don't even know how IP addresses work. Do IP addresses show my exact location? Of course I have posted about my approximate location before but never the exact one.

No, don't worry, the mods don't know your address. An IP address identifies your computer uniquely (well, kind of, this is more complicated thanks to dynamic IPs), but it's nothing to do with your exact physical location - the most you can get is your ISP and a city and state. Anything more would require contacting the ISP directly.

In this case, unless there's an automated method which there well might be, BK obviously thought the opening post was a bit suspicious, checked the IP, found it was from South Dakota (this is not in Russia) and compared it to other South Dakota members until he found that the IP was shared between TDAS and someone claiming to be in Moscow. Wink

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2013, 02:38:07 AM »

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2013, 02:52:12 AM »

Like Oakvale said, your IP address is just your computer's (or more likely and technically accurate, your router's....unless you don't have one of course) address and (normally) people can't find out where you are from without contacting your ISP.

The important thing to note is that you are NOT anonymous on the internet despite what most people think.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:01 AM »

TDAS, the consistently right-wing Democrat? Figures he's a troll.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2013, 04:15:54 AM »

So, remind me again - why do they object to 'socks'?
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 04:30:40 AM »

Because who wants to invest time reading, talking and replying to a false character dreamt up by someone because they've nothing better to do?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2013, 04:38:49 AM »

Because who wants to invest time reading, talking and replying to a false character dreamt up by someone because they've nothing better to do?

That's modern life - known as the internet.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2013, 05:24:18 AM »

This got real good real quick.

So long, TDAS!
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2013, 05:27:37 AM »

That's modern life - known as the internet.

Not really - perhaps on here, maybe, because of the amount of school kids and anti-social types. But elsewhere I've been there's little sign of it.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2013, 05:37:32 AM »

Continuing to play a sock after he's been unmasked... and still pretending to be in Russia when he's in some basement in South Dakota?

dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #45 on: September 19, 2013, 06:34:38 AM »

Not only that, but it's not conductive to good debate if you have people of one leaning dressed up in the clothes of a political opponent only to descredit the views of those people (or otherwise just make them look bad).  IMO it's a sign they're not very secure in their own political views.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #46 on: September 19, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
« Edited: September 19, 2013, 08:44:40 AM by Bacon King »

I am an idiot and I made a goof. I apologize for accusing TDAS as the sockmaster

Last night I grabbed roux's IP from this post and I must have clicked on TDAS's post immediately below it by mistake

However in a moment of serendipity that makes me not look like as much of a huge asshole for jumping the gun, it turns out his IP still traces to a university campus in the continental United States. So he's still possibly a sock and at the very least definitely not who he says he is. He's just not TDAS.

So again, I do sincerely apologize for the confusion.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #47 on: September 19, 2013, 08:41:43 AM »

The fact that he's a sock surprises anyone?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #48 on: September 19, 2013, 08:46:36 AM »

I am the one who checked Bacon King's work, and spotted his error.  So please, give me all the glory for proving his fallibility.

In any case, as I just said on the mod board, the fact that he's actually posting from the USA doesn't prove that he's a sock.  But we can let him explain, if he so desires.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #49 on: September 19, 2013, 08:49:37 AM »

I am the one who checked Bacon King's work, and spotted his error.  So please, give me all the glory for proving his fallibility.

In any case, as I just said on the mod board, the fact that he's actually posting from the USA doesn't prove that he's a sock.  But we can let him explain, if he so desires.

Surely you can pony up the city for us Moden......it's not like giving us his  home address.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies