German election maps from 1949 to 2009
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 05:02:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German election maps from 1949 to 2009
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: German election maps from 1949 to 2009  (Read 2076 times)
buritobr
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 18, 2013, 05:39:52 PM »

There are very nice maps in the Spiegel Online. I can not post the link yet, but I suggest you to go to that website and see them. They show the results from every district from 1949 to 2009.

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 06:20:00 PM »

Here bist:

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/deutschland/wahl-zeitmaschine-ergebnisse-aller-bundestagswahlen-a-918701.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 01:39:34 AM »

Question:

Do German federal election maps exist (for example from 2009), which show results by city/town - instead of districts ?
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 02:19:45 AM »

For Hamburg, maps by city district can be found here:
http://www.statistik-nord.de/fileadmin/maps/election_map_hh2/atlas.html

Click on "Tjemen" in the upper left corner to choose the election in question, and the party you are interested in.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 08:44:40 AM »

Question:

Do German federal election maps exist (for example from 2009), which show results by city/town - instead of districts ?
There's a pretty one from 2009 in the forum gallery.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 09:44:28 AM »

Question:

There's a pretty one from 2009 in the forum gallery.

Do you have a link ?

Or what do I have to put into "search" to find it ?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 11:02:17 AM »

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 11:52:48 AM »

Good work, but that's a district map.

I was looking for a city/town map for all of Germany.

And there are like 11.000 towns ...
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 01:21:05 PM »

Aside from Hamburg, a few more states have included 2009 election results on community (community association) level in their Geo-Portals:

Bavaria; https://www.statistik.bayern.de/interaktiv/regionalkarten/archiv/home.asp
NRW: http://www.statlas.nrw.de/Statlas/viewer.htm
Rheinland-Pfalz: http://www.geoportal.rlp.de/portal/karten.html?LAYER[zoom]=1&LAYER[id]=38657
(You have to select "Wahlen" (elections) from the drop-down menus).

States that haven't yet covered election results in their Geo-Portals include Hessen, Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein (did not check for the other states yet). The federal portal does also not include election results on city/community level, presumably as community mergers are pretty frequent in Germany and they are anyway having problems keeping their basic data (population etc.) up to date and in sync with the most recent set of communities.

For anybody having some excess time and wanting to prepare maps for 2009, community-level results are available at
https://www.regionalstatistik.de/genesis/online/data;jsessionid=F5FB3814D579DDE70C85344695B673B8?operation=abruftabelleAbrufen&selectionname=252-01-5&levelindex=1&levelid=1379614075398&index=2

However, finding a basemap, especially one that coincides with the territorial structure as per election date,. won't be easy as well...
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 01:31:34 PM »

About as deranged as I went for 2009 was all the Frankfurt precinct maps (which are beautiful things if I don't say myself).
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 12:56:34 PM »

Sorry, I misread you. I thought you were asking for a city / district map - instead of constituency.

My bad (and ignore my pm).

States that haven't yet covered election results in their Geo-Portals include Hessen, Lower Saxony and Schleswig-Holstein (did not check for the other states yet). The federal portal does also not include election results on city/community level, presumably as community mergers are pretty frequent in Germany and they are anyway having problems keeping their basic data (population etc.) up to date and in sync with the most recent set of communities.

Also, because the feds simply don't actually do any of the actual counting - they have no reason to collate the numbers. Really what you want is a link list to all the Kreiswahlleiter, who'll be city / district officials.
And what a municipality is and does varies a lot state-by-state, Schleswig-Holstein and Rhineland-Pfalz at the one end still having the ancient tiny municipalities for the most part (worse than France Grin ) but not having them do much anymore, rural Hesse at the other end having mostly huge municipalities that aren't, really, municipal but rather, er, subregional (and with powerless Ortsbeiräte councils for the former municipalities, typically, though some municipalities don't have them.)
And where you got tiny municipalities, their postal votes may be counted in a neighboring larger town.

EDIT: Followed your link. Postal votes not included in municipal results for about half the country (Baden-Württemberg, Brandenburg, Mecklenburg-Vorpommern,
Sachsen, Sachsen-Anhalt, Schleswig-Holstein, Thüringen, Niedersachsen, Rheinland-Pfalz). Still great though, didn't know it existed. Cheesy
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2013, 07:23:29 AM »

What's up with Halle in 1990? I wouldn't have expected the FDP to be consistently polling above 20% in any part of the former GDR, let alone even winning a FPTP seat.
Franknburger
Germany

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »

What's up with Halle in 1990? I wouldn't have expected the FDP to be consistently polling above 20% in any part of the former GDR, let alone even winning a FPTP seat.
Dietrich Genscher, German Foreign Minister and FDP head in 1990, was born in Halle.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2013, 07:26:17 AM »

Hans-Dietrich Genscher was from Halle. (No, he was not the candidate. But people still needed some time to fully understand West German politics and parties. Tongue And obviously Genscher was probably the most popular politician in Germany, East and West, at the time.)
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies