Should the debt ceiling be abolished?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:59:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should the debt ceiling be abolished?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: ...
Yes (D)

No (D)

Not sure (D)

Yes (R)

No (R)

Not sure (R)

Yes (I/O)

No (I/O)

Not sure (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 60

Author Topic: Should the debt ceiling be abolished?  (Read 3395 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 11:03:35 PM »

And, duh, of course the debt ceiling needs to go.  It has gone from merely (!) an excuse to engage in bad-faith grandstanding, to a fully weaponized tripwire that threatens our economy's very existence.  Abolish it, abolish it now.

Or perhaps we coudl stop running perpetual deficits.  All hitting the debt ceiling would do would be to cause a larger version of the sequester to go into effect, only with Obama having discretion over what gets paid first.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 12:50:07 AM »

And, duh, of course the debt ceiling needs to go.  It has gone from merely (!) an excuse to engage in bad-faith grandstanding, to a fully weaponized tripwire that threatens our economy's very existence.  Abolish it, abolish it now.

Or perhaps we coudl stop running perpetual deficits.  All hitting the debt ceiling would do would be to cause a larger version of the sequester to go into effect, only with Obama having discretion over what gets paid first.

And that would threaten our economy's existence, too.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 02:07:55 AM »

Or perhaps we could stop running perpetual deficits.  All hitting the debt ceiling would do would be to cause a larger version of the sequester to go into effect, only with Obama having discretion over what gets paid first.

And that would threaten our economy's existence, too.

I'd much rather we stop running deficits because be choose to than because no one wants to lend us more money. Granted, we're still quite some ways from that point, but it will be less painful to do the tax increases and/or spending cuts needed to avoid reaching that point the farther away from that point we do it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2013, 05:13:09 AM »

Absolutely. I'm not aware of any other country that has one. An increase in the debt limit should be implicit in all spending bills that increase the debt. The national debt is only a problem in terms of its relation to the GDP. Even though I do think we should balance the budget and perhaps bring about surpluses, it must be also be done through increased revenue and without inflicting pain and misery upon the lower and middle classes.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2013, 07:52:22 PM »

I don't think we're giving the debt ceiling the respect it deserves. I'd like to see it raised to $16.7 trillion.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies