Which of these common political fallacies annoy you the most?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:36:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Which of these common political fallacies annoy you the most?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ...
Reagan Democrats are a sizeable voting constituency

City residents are poor, suburbanites are rich

WY/ID/UT are libertarian states

Most SNAP participants are black

Elections always come down to a few "swing" voters

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 59

Author Topic: Which of these common political fallacies annoy you the most?  (Read 1740 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2013, 03:39:22 PM »

I'd have to say option 4, since the allegation is not only wrong, but borderline racist.  However, option 5 is also up there because the media perpetuates it the most.

Also, feel free to post more popular fallacies.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 03:45:17 PM »

Eh, none of them particularly annoy me in a specific way. Mine are more based on history as you could probably see from my posting history. Tongue
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 03:46:35 PM »
« Edited: September 19, 2013, 03:48:38 PM by MilesC56 »

Being where I'm from, Option 4.

Although, I was watching an election night video recently and one of the anchors talked about Reagan Dems and specifically cited western PA. I wanted to scream.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 03:48:16 PM »

capitalism is a good system which must be preserved
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 04:01:07 PM »

Option 4 is really, really racist. So that one.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 04:07:37 PM »

Perhaps what annoys me most about the media during any campaign or huge debate in an issue is the notion that the "Independent" voters are truly these wise, sage-like individuals in the middle, who all people should listen to because they are the mature, serious people, when really 90% of Independent voters are just apathetic/completely uninformed people who know more about reality television than the economy.
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »

Being where I'm from, Option 4.

Although, I was watching an election night video recently and one of the anchors talked about Reagan Dems and specifically cited western PA. I wanted to scream.

Well, Reagan never did all that well here. There are socially conservative Democrats here, in fact there are very few social liberals. But Reagan never did well here. Hell, Carter won Washington County and the surrounding areas here in the southwest (Reagan won more up towards Erie) and Mondale actually did even better. So the Reagan Democrats in Western PA thing is a complete myth.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 04:13:04 PM »

Perhaps what annoys me most about the media during any campaign or huge debate in an issue is the notion that the "Independent" voters are truly these wise, sage-like individuals in the middle, who all people should listen to because they are the mature, serious people, when really 90% of Independent voters are just apathetic/completely uninformed people who know more about reality television than the economy.

Amen.  Plus, the notion that Independents are Independent because they are 'centrist' is almost as annoying.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 04:23:27 PM »

The swing voters one. Elections come down to who's side can get their base out more.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 04:43:25 PM »

capitalism is a good system which must be preserved

But of the options, #4.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 05:04:05 PM »

I voted for option 4, but all of them are fallacies. 
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 05:13:12 PM »

A few write-ins:

That "fiscally conservative, socially liberal" or "socially conservative, economically populist", etc, people are a significant or numerous group.

That people of color turnout to vote less than white people.

That poor people are more religious than rich people (actually most studies show the opposite).

Might think of some more later.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2013, 07:38:39 PM »

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2013, 08:17:51 PM »

This and Option 2 in the poll are, in fact, statistically accurate even if they might be arguably misleading in that they obscure the massive variation within urban/suburban areas and minority groups.  There are plenty of rich urbanites and poor suburbantites, but on average the suburbs are wealthier than the central cities; likewise while African-Americans vote about as much as whites, Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans all have much worse turnout.

And of course Option 4 is the worst offender in this list.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:53 PM »

This.
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 01:02:50 AM »

This and Option 2 in the poll are, in fact, statistically accurate even if they might be arguably misleading in that they obscure the massive variation within urban/suburban areas and minority groups.  There are plenty of rich urbanites and poor suburbantites, but on average the suburbs are wealthier than the central cities; likewise while African-Americans vote about as much as whites, Latinos, Asians, and Native Americans all have much worse turnout.

I was under the impression that the difference in apparent voter turnout for Latinos/Asians was due to lower % of citizenship, and that among citizens the rates were basically the same. Which actually would mean that people of color are more likely to vote than whites of similar class/education, given the huge racial gap in those. As for Native Americans really idk, small sample sizes and all.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 03:11:32 AM »

Most presidential elections do come down to a few swing votes. I guess it does depend on your definition of a few though. Also, a lot of Reagan Democrats are now Republicans.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 03:21:19 AM »

Option 4 easily
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 06:36:36 AM »

I'm sorry, but stating a fact, even if its wrong, is racist? That's like saying most Rednecks are white. Is that racist?

Anyway, I would probably choose 4 as well as Its probably false and totally stereotypes blacks. The election one with independent "swing" voters is pretty bad too. 
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 09:11:19 AM »

I was under the impression that the difference in apparent voter turnout for Latinos/Asians was due to lower % of citizenship, and that among citizens the rates were basically the same. Which actually would mean that people of color are more likely to vote than whites of similar class/education, given the huge racial gap in those. As for Native Americans really idk, small sample sizes and all.
I don't know about Indians in general, but I know that Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota has 90%-ish turnout.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »

The lower citizenship percentage is part of the story, but not entirely.  If you control for both citizenship and for class/education, you get closer to parity but still not quite there (and, at least for Presidential elections, you actually get higher participation among blacks than whites).
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2013, 08:03:59 PM »

Option 1, because most Reagan Democrats nowadays are either Clinton Democrats, Bush 2 Republicans, or dead.  In other words, Reagan Democrats today are as real as Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, and UFOs.  When's the last time you discussed politics with someone and they came out sounding like Archie Bunker?

On a related note, I get tired of people claiming that Macomb County, Michigan, has a lot of Reagan Democrats and shifted toward the GOP in the 80s because of that.  It voted for Jim Blanchard (a Democrat) for governor twice in 1982 and 1986, for Gore in 2000, and for Obama twice.  Plus, Mitt Romney carried it in the GOP primary in Michigan last year (and these were the kind of people that Santorum was supposed to do well with.)
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2013, 08:22:08 PM »

I'm sorry, but stating a fact, even if its wrong, is racist? That's like saying most Rednecks are white. Is that racist?

Anyway, I would probably choose 4 as well as Its probably false and totally stereotypes blacks. The election one with independent "swing" voters is pretty bad too. 

Well, the term 'redneck,' if my history is correct, was originally used as a slur against working-class whites from rural areas, so all rednecks are 'white' by definition.  But assuming that most SNAP recipients are black without bothering to look at the statistics is pretty racist, even if unintentionally.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 08:42:22 PM »

Well, the term 'redneck,' if my history is correct, was originally used as a slur against working-class whites from rural areas, so all rednecks are 'white' by definition.  But assuming that most SNAP recipients are black without bothering to look at the statistics is pretty racist, even if unintentionally.

Bad example on my part. Another example would be that all suburbanites are white rich people. Sure, people in suburbs are richer and whiter than average buts its not correct, so its an incorrect fact. Now we apply the SNAP situation, SNAP recipients are blacker than average, but all of them are not black, so another incorrect fact.

When I say all suburbanites are rich and white, does that make me racist/rich-hating? I don't think it does. Same thing for the SNAP fallacy.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 09:44:41 PM »

The issue is that American Blacks are a minority - the minorities minority in some respects - in a political sense as well as in terms of raw numbers. Therefore making pejorative assumptions is... er... problematic. Follow?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies