Michael Bloomberg vs. Woodrow Wilson
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:59:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Michael Bloomberg vs. Woodrow Wilson
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Michael Bloomberg

Woodrow Wilson

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 54

Author Topic: Michael Bloomberg vs. Woodrow Wilson  (Read 4255 times)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 19, 2013, 07:53:35 PM »

A battle between two of the most hated politicians on this forum. Pick your poison!
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 08:15:35 PM »

Woodrow had at least one or two positive characteristics.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 08:17:34 PM »
« Edited: September 22, 2013, 10:17:21 AM by Peter the Lefty »

Both are horrible in very similar ways, come to think of it.  Wilson is responsible for creating the conglomerate known as the Federal Reserve, which is a huge part of the horrible Wall Street-dominated system we're currently living under.  Bloomberg, of course, is a huge part of the cabal that's holding up that system now.  But the guy who created it is much more responsible.

Both are/were racists, but obviously the pro-Klan guy who segregated the federal government's hiring system is FAR WORSE.

Both are violators of civil liberties, but obviously, locking up anti-war activists and suffragettes for criticizing you is beats out banning extra-large sodas and promoting stop and frisk.

And frankly, if Wilson were alive today, his "progressivism" would not be progressive.  He'd be considered just as anti-labor as Bloomberg.  Plus, Wilson would definitely be one of those "omg da gayz" nutjobs.

So Bloomberg is clearly the lesser of two evils.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 09:44:03 PM »

Bloomberg didn't effectively cause WWII.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »

Wilson did some great things in terms of reforming our economic system in a positive way, but he left the country in a very bad way by the end of his Presidency and was generally a racist jerk. 

While Bloomberg has his faults, he's been a very good Mayor. I guess I prefer Bloomberg because at least he isn't a racist jerk.

Huh?  I don't even understand that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 10:06:01 PM »

Wilson, f#ck it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 10:18:46 PM »

Peter pretty much said everything that needed to be said.

Bloomberg.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 10:29:22 PM »

Both are horrible in very similar ways, come to think of it.  Wilson is responsible for creating the conglomerate known as the Federal Reserve, which is a huge part of the horrible Wall Street-dominated system we're currently living under.  Bloomberg, of course, is a huge part of the cabal that's holding up that system now.  But the guy who created it was far worse.

Both are/were racists, but obviously the pro-Klan guy who segregated the federal government's hiring system is FAR WORSE.

Both are violators of civil liberties, but obviously, locking up anti-war activists and suffragettes for criticizing you is far worse than banning extra-large sodas and promoting stop and frisk.

And frankly, if Wilson were alive today, his "progressivism" would not be progressive today.  He'd be considered just as anti-labor as Bloomberg.  Plus, Wilson would definitely be one of those "omg da gayz" nutjobs.

Yep, this describes my feelings towards Wilson, probably one of the top ten worst presidents in history. Bloomberg, if I really had to choose.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 10:32:23 PM »

Peter pretty much said everything that needed to be said.

Bloomberg.

I think the unlettered, Ron Paul-esque critique of the Federal Reserve system was a tad unnecessary.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 10:34:02 PM »

To be fair he never had the chance.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2013, 10:44:47 PM »

Bloomberg, easily.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2013, 11:38:02 PM »

Wilson did some great things in terms of reforming our economic system in a positive way, but he left the country in a very bad way by the end of his Presidency and was generally a racist jerk. 

While Bloomberg has his faults, he's been a very good Mayor. I guess I prefer Bloomberg because at least he isn't a racist jerk.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2013, 12:53:03 AM »

The Treaty of Versallies and Germany, just for one, though that isn't 100% his fault.

Well that, and the Racial Equality Proposal of 1919, which if passed, would've probably kept Japan more cooperative and made WWII less of a reality. Instead, it was rejected, mostly on the basis of Great Britain and Australia, sure, but Wilson was against it as well.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2013, 01:08:01 AM »

The Treaty of Versallies and Germany, just for one, though that isn't 100% his fault.

Well that, and the Racial Equality Proposal of 1919, which if passed, would've probably kept Japan more cooperative and made WWII less of a reality. Instead, it was rejected, mostly on the basis of Great Britain and Australia, sure, but Wilson was against it as well.

The Treaty of Versailles certainly did not reflect the Wilson position and was mostly shaped by France and Britain.  That's just a fact.

Some people like to argue that the Treaty of Versailles caused WWII, but that's a minority position among historians.  The rise of Nazism was more a product of the economic conditions of the Great Depression than the strictures of the Treaty of Versailles.  If you look into the current historical consensus, the overly punitive nature of the treaty is really not cited as a culprit for causing WWII.

So, to connect the WWII to Wilson is silly.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2013, 02:28:29 AM »

The Treaty of Versailles certainly did not reflect the Wilson position and was mostly shaped by France and Britain.  That's just a fact.

Some people like to argue that the Treaty of Versailles caused WWII, but that's a minority position among historians.  The rise of Nazism was more a product of the economic conditions of the Great Depression than the strictures of the Treaty of Versailles.  If you look into the current historical consensus, the overly punitive nature of the treaty is really not cited as a culprit for causing WWII.

So, to connect the WWII to Wilson is silly.

Blaming WWII on Versailles is like blaming the return of a fever on the aspirin you took six hours ago.

No, Versailles is not why Wilson has a large share of blame for WWII.  Rather it is that Wilson's policies caused the war to be longer than it otherwise would have been.  The war very well could have ended in 1915 when the Allies ran out of gold to buy American war material had not Wilson allowed them to raise loans here.  The war could have ended in 1917 if there was no prospect of American entry into the war. Heck, even if Wilson had indulged his Anglophilia and managed to use the Lusitania incident to bring the US into the war in 1915, the result would have been a shorter war that would have better all around. A shorter Great War would have been less disruptive and costly, and far less likely to bring the Bolsheviks to power, tho a revolution against the Tsar was always a possibility.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2013, 02:40:45 PM »

If this were a real life matchup, it'd be one of the worst ever. Big city technocratic millionaire (billionaire?) mayor who's all hyped up on gun control and regulating our soft drinks. Meanwhile you have a racist Ivy League professor. Nobody wins!
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2013, 04:49:04 PM »

Woodrow had at least one or two positive characteristics.
This, and I wouldn't say he was one of the most hated politicians in history (at least in American history.)  Reagan or George W. Bush would definitely fit it, though.

WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2013, 07:13:49 PM »

what a hard choice!

i admire both.

hard to compare the two, given that one ruled 100 years ago.

i consider myself a wilsonian progressive.  but bloomberg is probably closer to me politically.  again...hard to compare now with 1915.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2013, 07:15:42 PM »

Both are horrible in very similar ways, come to think of it.  Wilson is responsible for creating the conglomerate known as the Federal Reserve, which is a huge part of the horrible Wall Street-dominated system we're currently living under.  Bloomberg, of course, is a huge part of the cabal that's holding up that system now.  But the guy who created it was far worse.

Both are violators of civil liberties, but obviously, locking up anti-war activists and suffragettes for criticizing you is far worse than banning extra-large sodas and promoting stop and frisk.

And frankly, if Wilson were alive today, his "progressivism" would not be progressive today.  He'd be considered just as anti-labor as Bloomberg.  Plus, Wilson would definitely be one of those "omg da gayz" nutjobs.

This.. Bloomy is terrible but Wilson is dangerously terrible (in today's politics especially)
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 10:35:26 PM »

If this were a real life matchup, it'd be one of the worst ever. Big city technocratic millionaire (billionaire?) mayor who's all hyped up on gun control and regulating our soft drinks. Meanwhile you have a racist Ivy League professor. Nobody wins!

Yeah, it would be horrible. But the map might be interesting....
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 04:01:54 AM »

All I can say is this:
There better be a decent third-party ticket!
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 04:04:57 AM »

The non-racist.
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 04:39:17 AM »

Woodrow Wilson, a great man.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 09:30:13 AM »

Easily Wilson
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 11:52:18 AM »

WORST election ever. On the one hand, you have a elitist liberal extreme pro-gun control mayor who is very socially liberal and to the left of obama and a complete dickwad. Versus a racist ivy league professor, hard-core progressive. Really, worst election ever.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies