Should Republicans give up on Presidential races completely?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 08:07:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Should Republicans give up on Presidential races completely?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Should Republicans give up on Presidential races completely?  (Read 3424 times)
Nichlemn

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 20, 2013, 11:49:52 PM »

2016 and 2020 are locks for Hillary. By 2024, AZ, TX and GA at least will all be solidly Democratic,  making it impossible for a Republican to win the White House.

I'm thinking they should cut their losses and redirect all resources to trying to hold the UT legislature. Even that will be tough, because that state is rapidly trending D.
TarHeelDem
United States

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 12:27:09 AM »

Of course they can win any year, but I see their next likely cycle as 2024, and that's if the party fixes its current problems. Sixteen years of Democratic control should be enough to flip the Oval Office to the Republicans, assuming a decent candidate receives their nomination.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 12:49:54 AM »

Joke Thread.
Consciously Unconscious
Liberty Republican
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »

This thread doesn't deserve a serious response.
Link
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 10:27:31 AM »

2016 and 2020 are locks for Hillary. By 2024, AZ, TX and GA at least will all be solidly Democratic,  making it impossible for a Republican to win the White House.

Anything can happen in any random presidential year.  They seem to have a pretty good lock on the House and a chance to win the Senate. A screw up on the presidential campaign trail could easily give them three branches of government.  Holding onto the House with a bunch of gerrymandered districts is a lot easier than holding onto the White House.  The Republicans can consistently hold onto the House even as they lose the popular vote over and over.  You can't count on that to hold the White House.

It is highly unlikely that the Dems can hold the White House for 4 elections in a row.  The business cycle will see to that at some point.  Although I agree once Texas becomes a battle ground state it is going to get very ugly for Republicans.  Can't wait.  It will be nice to have two semi reasonable parties again.
Lurker
Norway
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 11:29:37 AM »

This thread is obviously a parody. Odd that you guys can't see this.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 12:15:22 PM »

This thread is obviously a parody. Odd that you guys can't see this.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »

You're such a GOP hack. They won't hold the Utah legislature, duh.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2013, 05:38:08 PM »

Don't forget Mississippi. It trended Democratic a bit last year so it'll be a Democratic lock by 2016. By 2018 we should just focus on holding the Idaho and Wyoming governorships because all of the other states will have tossed the RepubliKKKans.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2013, 05:44:44 PM »

2016 and 2020 are locks for Hillary. By 2024, AZ, TX and GA at least will all be solidly Democratic,  making it impossible for a Republican to win the White House.

I'm thinking they should cut their losses and redirect all resources to trying to hold the UT legislature. Even that will be tough, because that state is rapidly trending D.

I hope the GOP dies this election

Also, location: New Zealand
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2013, 06:50:32 PM »

I don't even think the GOP will have ballot access by 2016.  They're better off forming a coalition with a legitimate party, like the Constitution Party.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2013, 06:54:28 PM »

No.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2013, 08:53:49 PM »

The idea that one party is going to completely dominate the national scene is utterly senseless. Sure, current trends might look bad for Republicans. But we'll adjust to them, and this party will moderate on social issues and start appeasing Hispanics. It may take some time, as a chunk of Republicans seem to be of the opinion we can remain a relevant party despite being anti-Hispanic and socially conservative, but after a string of losses, I think the point will be realized, and a shift will occur.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:42 PM »

The Republican party will eventually moderate on the social issues and appeal to certain demographics in the future, next decade or two.  Can't have the Democrats or Republicans in power forever, not good for the country.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2013, 09:57:09 PM »

You're trolling right?
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2013, 09:58:46 PM »

You're trolling right?

Of course he is. He's making fun of those who think the Republican Party is absolutely doomed, which it is not, of course.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2013, 10:06:42 PM »

You're trolling right?

Yeah, I think this guy is conservative-leaning anyway + Its quite easy to see that he's joking when he goes into the UT legislature. I do adore the fact that this looks so much like some of the cocky D posters, not just around here, but especially in places like Daily Kos, etc.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2013, 10:49:30 PM »

I don't even think the GOP will have ballot access by 2016.  They're better off forming a coalition with a legitimate party, like the Constitution Party.

Oh yes or perhaps the rent is too damn high party. They're in soooooo much better shape than the Republican Party who controls the House, won't lose the House in the next few elections, and have a decent chance to pick up the Senate next year. Not to mention, they got 47% in the most recent presidential election. I mean we've never seen this before. There's never been a candidate in the 30's to get only 8 electoral votes. We've never had a party lose 49 out of 50 states and ruled them out. Where the Republicans are at now is soooooo much worse than the above named scenarios.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2013, 02:44:27 AM »

I am really concerned for those of you who think that these people who are saying to ditch Texas and South Carolina and try to hold onto Wyoming or Utah are serious.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2013, 03:20:41 AM »

Oh yes or perhaps the rent is too damn high party. They're in soooooo much better shape than the Republican Party who controls the House, won't lose the House in the next few elections, and have a decent chance to pick up the Senate next year. Not to mention, they got 47% in the most recent presidential election. I mean we've never seen this before. There's never been a candidate in the 30's to get only 8 electoral votes. We've never had a party lose 49 out of 50 states and ruled them out. Where the Republicans are at now is soooooo much worse than the above named scenarios.

>He thinks I'm serious

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2013, 01:44:42 PM »

The Republican party will eventually moderate on the social issues and appeal to certain demographics in the future, next decade or two.  Can't have the Democrats or Republicans in power forever, not good for the country.

But that's what everyone's said for a while now. If anything after 2012 they've been getting pulled even further to the right by the Ted Cruz clown car.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2013, 06:06:36 PM »

Don't forget Mississippi. It trended Democratic a bit last year so it'll be a Democratic lock by 2016. By 2018 we should just focus on holding the Idaho and Wyoming governorships because all of the other states will have tossed the RepubliKKKans.

By 2036 it will probably will be, assuming current demographic trends and blacks staying over 98% Democratic.
Link
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2013, 06:30:18 PM »

The idea that one party is going to completely dominate the national scene is utterly senseless. Sure, current trends might look bad for Republicans. But we'll adjust to them, and this party will moderate on social issues and start appeasing Hispanics. It may take some time, as a chunk of Republicans seem to be of the opinion we can remain a relevant party despite being anti-Hispanic and socially conservative, but after a string of losses, I think the point will be realized, and a shift will occur.

Well that would be a win for everyone if your version of the future were to actually happen.  Most people don't want the GOP to disappear.  They just want the party to join the rest of us in reality.  Some of us would like a choice when we go into the voting booth.  But I know I can't vote for anyone or strengthen any party that spews hate againsts blacks, Hispanics, women, etc.
LeBron
LeBron FitzGerald
United States

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 03:00:52 AM »

You and Ted Cruz are dead wrong. The day Texas (along with AZ and GA) turn blue will NOT be the end of the Republican Party in Presidential races as much as I'd love to see it happen.

There's some studies out there that say while some of these southern states might trend blue within the next few decades, states in the north like Wisconsin and Pennsylvania will start trending red which would make up nice ground for the Republicans for when they lose Texas.

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 03:34:59 PM »

You're neglecting the solid pro-Republican trend that happened in 2012.  While it wasn't enough to let the GOP win in 2012, by 2024, extrapolating from the 2008 -> 2012 swing, one gets the following 2024 map, with Utah as the GOP's best state at 102% of the vote.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies