If Ford had nominated Reagan as VP in 1976....
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:12:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  If Ford had nominated Reagan as VP in 1976....
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Ford had nominated Reagan as VP in 1976....  (Read 2422 times)
DevotedDemocrat
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: 0.02

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2013, 02:39:25 PM »

Could President Ford have won if he nominated Reagan as his running mate in the election of 1976?
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 09:55:40 PM »

Even though this is a Devoted Democrat thread, I might as well make a serious response:

No, I doubt it.  The trend was just too anti-Republican.  At best I see Reagan helping Ford increase his showing among the Interior and Great Plains conservatives, but not much elsewhere:

Probably the biggest difference would be Texas, with Reagan's pull among the rich oilmen and the like.  In real life it was a pretty close Carter victory, but I believe that Reagan probably was considered a pretty popular figure in the state (he won the TX Primary with 66% of the vote) who could make the difference.  Really though, many of these states are up for debate.  Sure, the Interior West would've been safe Republican, but other than that I see most of these states going either/or.  I believe the South would've still pulled for Carter, due to homeboy effect, but some of the more "business friendly" states might've pulled for Ford with Reagan on the ticket.  THough Reagan's conservatism turns some off, I don't see Vermont and Maine pulling the switch for James Carter.
It's very hard to predict how an alternate 1976 would look, because again the political environment of the times.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:36:12 PM »

Even though this is a Devoted Democrat thread, I might as well make a serious response:

No, I doubt it.  The trend was just too anti-Republican.  At best I see Reagan helping Ford increase his showing among the Interior and Great Plains conservatives, but not much elsewhere:

Probably the biggest difference would be Texas, with Reagan's pull among the rich oilmen and the like.  In real life it was a pretty close Carter victory, but I believe that Reagan probably was considered a pretty popular figure in the state (he won the TX Primary with 66% of the vote) who could make the difference.  Really though, many of these states are up for debate.  Sure, the Interior West would've been safe Republican, but other than that I see most of these states going either/or.  I believe the South would've still pulled for Carter, due to homeboy effect, but some of the more "business friendly" states might've pulled for Ford with Reagan on the ticket.  THough Reagan's conservatism turns some off, I don't see Vermont and Maine pulling the switch for James Carter.
It's very hard to predict how an alternate 1976 would look, because again the political environment of the times.
Your map looks pretty much accurate, although Mississippi might have went to Ford if he picked Reagan as his running-mate.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies