THE IDS Constitution Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 09:19:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  THE IDS Constitution Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: THE IDS Constitution Discussion Thread  (Read 1757 times)
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 22, 2013, 10:28:26 PM »

Hello Southerners and the less fortunate! This is your beneficent Emperor calling you to come together to provide your ideas and your suggestions on changing our Constitution. Is replacing our flag your thing? Want to end our Imperial titles? Or maybe you just want to change our voting rules. Well here is the place to talk about it!

In the past, people have tried to make threads for individual issues like amendment reform or changing when we vote but they ALWAYS end the same way. They peter out and nothing ever changes. Not now. I pledge to personally introduce and fight for The People to get a chance to vote for most if not all of the proposals made in this thread. So lets have at it!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 11:16:20 PM »

Well, yesterday I suggested we discuss our election system for the state legislature.  Some find the class A/B seats confusing and think we should elect all five seats at once, but others say we shouldn't for the sake of competitive elections.  I'm pretty much on the fence at the moment, but I think this is an issue that's worth discussing.

Secondly, it's funny you mention the flag.  Last night I opened my copy of Adobe Flash and started designing potential flag designs for me to introduce if I'm elected to the Legislature.  My idea was to combine Southern state flags (stars, stripes, Saints symbols, TX lone stars, etc.) into one design, but I couldn't come up with something that represents all the states.  However, I'd desperately like to see the current flag replaced, as I feel it is way too dreary for us.

I also wouldn't mind replacing the Imperial titles with more traditional ones, but I doubt most folks will agree with me on that.  I guess I'm boring in that sense. Tongue
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 11:29:28 PM »

I suggest we play a bagpipe rendition of "the Order of Lenin" and introduce a "Labor Bill of Rights":

1. The right to readily available and comfortable employment.
2. The right to a living wage to be indexed to inflation.
3. The right to clean environmental standards with controls on pollution and water quality.
4. The right to universal healthcare.
5. The right to unionize in any industry or company.
6. The right for protection of workers during strikes from unemployement.
7. The right to a strongly funded and sound government financed retirement program at the age of 55.
8. The right to a 30 hour work week with the same earnings as a 40 hour work week.
9. THe right for equal pay for women, LGBT, and ethnic and religious minorities.
10. Mandatory leave time for new mothers and fathers.

That should be a good jumping off point.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 11:31:48 PM »

I suggest we play a bagpipe rendition of "the Order of Lenin" and introduce a "Labor Bill of Rights":

1. The right to readily available and comfortable employment.
2. The right to a living wage to be indexed to inflation.
3. The right to clean environmental standards with controls on pollution and water quality.
4. The right to universal healthcare.
5. The right to unionize in any industry or company.
6. The right for protection of workers during strikes from unemployement.
7. The right to a strongly funded and sound government financed retirement program at the age of 55.
8. The right to a 30 hour work week with the same earnings as a 40 hour work week.
9. THe right for equal pay for women, LGBT, and ethnic and religious minorities.
10. Mandatory leave time for new mothers and fathers.

That should be a good jumping off point.

Funny thing is, most of what you listed is already law. Tongue
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 11:53:38 PM »

Secondly, it's funny you mention the flag.  Last night I opened my copy of Adobe Flash and started designing potential flag designs for me to introduce if I'm elected to the Legislature.  My idea was to combine Southern state flags (stars, stripes, Saints symbols, TX lone stars, etc.) into one design, but I couldn't come up with something that represents all the states.  However, I'd desperately like to see the current flag replaced, as I feel it is way too dreary for us.

What, you don't like THIS?

Absolutely shocking.

I hope you'll put some of your ideas here before bringing them to the legislature, I'd like to get public discussion on what kind of flag we should have.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 12:03:57 AM »

I was just invited to something well hello y'all.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 12:18:02 AM »

I think electing everyone at once makes since to me.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 12:36:32 AM »

If we did elect everyone at once when would it be done? Would there be full elections every month taking up both normal class 1 and class 2 elections or would we just elect people less often?
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 12:39:29 AM »

If we did elect everyone at once when would it be done? Would there be full elections every month taking up both normal class 1 and class 2 elections or would we just elect people less often?

I assume it'd be done once every two months. Federalist and Labor wouldn't necessarily like that, though, as it'd make it easier for smaller parties to get elected. Wink Still, I summarized my feelings about it outside of that in Scott's thread yesterday.

Also:

Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2013, 12:39:48 AM »

I would suggest making the class with two Legislators be elected from two regional districts. Such a thing should encourage more interesting campaigns and make the result less predictable.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2013, 01:24:15 AM »

I would say two month terms
     I would suggest making the class with two Legislators be elected from two regional districts. Such a thing should encourage more interesting campaigns and make the result less predictable.
That could be interesting, any suggestion on districts, which states would be grouped together?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2013, 10:15:01 AM »

My demands are well documented, so before I jump into all the rest...Tongue

Let's shed our silly names once and for all, return things to the days of bourbon in the Governor's Plantation, and move our capital back to Charleston, for it is friendliest to the gays and the birthplace of the southern renaissance.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2013, 10:18:43 AM »

We need to find someone way to inform and involve people more in the activities of their legislators so that they will pay attention and vote more. Informing about dates and events and so forth helps, but unless it grabs their attention, the benefits will be miniscule to say the least.

Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2013, 10:21:46 AM »

We need to find someone way to inform and involve people more in the activities of their legislators so that they will pay attention and vote more. Informing about dates and events and so forth helps, but unless it grabs their attention, the benefits will be miniscule to say the least.

That's the idea Marokai and I had when we wanted child boards for each region. At least there, things would be a bit more organized. Of course, it would also require dedication for someone to keep a tally. We've had people attempt to do that in the senate in the past, but they usually keep up with it for a week or so and then forget out it.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2013, 10:25:11 AM »

That's the idea Marokai and I had when we wanted child boards for each region. At least there, things would be a bit more organized. Of course, it would also require dedication for someone to keep a tally. We've had people attempt to do that in the senate in the past, but they usually keep up with it for a week or so and then forget out it.

Maybe, but the child boards might just create another wall of seperation on the other hand.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2013, 10:28:28 AM »

Maybe, but the child boards might just create another wall of seperation on the other hand.

It could, but as someone who served in the legislature for a bit, it was extremely frustrating to keep up with which bill we were working on and who said what... I hated it Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2013, 10:34:38 AM »

It could, but as someone who served in the legislature for a bit, it was extremely frustrating to keep up with which bill we were working on and who said what... I hated it Tongue

What exactly would they have looked like under your's and Marokai's proposal? Clearly there was more to it then just having the child boards created.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2013, 10:58:08 AM »

*shrug*
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2013, 11:13:39 AM »

Is that a Mitsubishi (sp?) symbol in that flag?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »

Hm?  I don't see a Mitsubishi symbol... Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2013, 11:38:25 AM »

Perhaps I have the wrong company in mind. The star does look like a hood ornament though. I figured it might symbolize the low pay (relatively speaking), non-union, foreign-owned auto plants that proliferate in the South. Wink
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2013, 12:00:34 PM »

Not a Southerner, but. . . I do think that information is a BIG part of it, but I suspect that it always has been? I admit that I don't know when regional stuff goes on - I need someone to tell me. So I ask. Regional execs and candidates forgetting about elections (unless you really have no idea that there are supposed to be elections) is pretty bad, I admit. I know what goes on federally because I have Homely's threads to follow, which I do, and the Constitution, while a bit verbose on the matter, is quite specific as to when Presidential elections are. But as to regions, I have no idea, but if I'm interested I'll ask someone.

Child boards for the regions is a good idea and would compartmentalize their affairs. Although there may be a lot of clicking and navigating, it would be a great organizational feature.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2013, 01:15:46 PM »

Maybe the imperial titles are a bit much, but I don't know if reverting to "normal" names would do us much good either. I didn't join this region because of party breakdown or what have you. I joined because it seemed like the South had something different that distinguished itself from the other regions. To get rid of what could actually be our biggest draw might be a mistake.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2013, 01:19:08 PM »

If we change the flag, let's go for something which actually looks like a real flag and not some hideous sh**t made in MS Paint by some neckbeard.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2013, 01:21:15 PM »

Perhaps I have the wrong company in mind. The star does look like a hood ornament though. I figured it might symbolize the low pay (relatively speaking), non-union, foreign-owned auto plants that proliferate in the South. Wink

Hahaha, that's a Texas lone star!

A true southerner oughta know that. Wink

Maybe the imperial titles are a bit much, but I don't know if reverting to "normal" names would do us much good either. I didn't join this region because of party breakdown or what have you. I joined because it seemed like the South had something different that distinguished itself from the other regions. To get rid of what could actually be our biggest draw might be a mistake.

Well, I don't think there's a right way or wrong way to approach the titles.  It's just a matter of personal preference.

A referendum on them might be healthy for the region, though.

If we change the flag, let's go for something which actually looks like a real flag and not some hideous sh**t made in MS Paint by some neckbeard.

In case you're referring to my flag... dude, I'm trying. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies