THE IDS Constitution Discussion Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:42:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  THE IDS Constitution Discussion Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: THE IDS Constitution Discussion Thread  (Read 1760 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 23, 2013, 01:33:13 PM »

I'll see if I can whip up something that looks okay and doesn't contain the Labor Party/Georgia seal. Tongue
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2013, 02:21:05 PM »

I'll see if I can whip up something that looks okay and doesn't contain the Labor Party/Georgia seal. Tongue

Don't be hatin'. Tongue
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 03:03:27 PM »

Here's a coat of arms I designed, somewhat inspired by the Episcopal Church, USA's logo.  It's not meant to have a religious overtone, but I came to this design because it is simplistic and symmetric.

Maybe we can use it for something, if not the official flag.

Sad to say, flags are not really my specialty. Tongue
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 03:09:51 PM »

Yes, I was thinking of putting a coat of arms on it. It looks great... I'll incorporate it somehow.
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 04:15:19 PM »

though my paint creations are horrible, I do have a mental image of my idea: first theres a cross like FL and AL, then there's a diamond like AR, but first, around the diamond there's ten stars, kinda like NC and Paramount, also around the diamond is a red border on the top right is red and the bottom left is also red, and on the top left side there is white and just like the red part, there is white on the final part.... both of those resemble NC and TX.... the color between the red Florida-Alabamaesque cross is the Louisiana flag blue.... inside the diamond there is a Tennessee flag red and over that, that's where I get writer's block.... I think we should leave it blank, but what do you guys say?
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2013, 05:00:45 PM »

How about a constitutional amendment banning everybody who is not me.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2013, 07:21:57 PM »

How about a constitutional amendment banning everybody who is not me.

That amendment might not pass, if only because 99% of the South is made up of people who are, in fact, not you.  But let's not keep anything off the table. Smiley
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2013, 04:58:18 AM »

I would suggest making the class with two Legislators be elected from two regional districts. Such a thing should encourage more interesting campaigns and make the result less predictable.
That could be interesting, any suggestion on districts, which states would be grouped together?

Here is a map I created:

Counting only voters from the August election, both districts have 13 voters currently registered.  For each, 6 are Federalists. The red district is very close as drawn, the blue district a slight bit less so. Either one should be able to go either way, based on turnout. This is an idea I have had for a while, just didn't actually get around to proposing it.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #33 on: September 25, 2013, 12:38:51 PM »

Perhaps I have the wrong company in mind. The star does look like a hood ornament though. I figured it might symbolize the low pay (relatively speaking), non-union, foreign-owned auto plants that proliferate in the South. Wink

Hahaha, that's a Texas lone star!

A true southerner oughta know that. Wink

Hmm, when Jbrase finally gets in touch with me I will get his opinion on the matter. I leave all matters Texan to him.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2013, 12:41:38 PM »

That would require a four man legislation correct? Would they be elected all at once or in two classes like now?

All at once might improve the present design, but with districts it would ensure that the result is a foregone conclusion almost invariably.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2013, 12:45:00 PM »

Here's a coat of arms I designed, somewhat inspired by the Episcopal Church, USA's logo.  It's not meant to have a religious overtone, but I came to this design because it is simplistic and symmetric.

Maybe we can use it for something, if not the official flag.

Sad to say, flags are not really my specialty. Tongue

Its not bad, but I would recommend filling the fields with some kind of symbols or something.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2013, 02:47:18 PM »
« Edited: September 25, 2013, 02:48:57 PM by Fmr. Emperor PiT »

That would require a four man legislation correct? Would they be elected all at once or in two classes like now?

All at once might improve the present design, but with districts it would ensure that the result is a foregone conclusion almost invariably.

My thought was to have three elected by PR-STV and then two elected by district. My concern was that electing two members tended to produce predictable results with regards to partisan composition, so I wanted to spice things up. Electing the Legislature in two classes is one of the things that really sets our region apart, and so I do not want to get rid of it if at all possible. We have a long tradition of being aggressive in our application of democracy, and monthly elections is just a continuation of this tradition.
Dereich
Moderators
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 04:31:27 PM »

If there would be inter-regional regions each electing one legislator, why don't we have those use FPTP? The at-large election could still be done by PR-STV, but FPTP could make sense for elections of just one seat.

I admit that headache of calculating the PR-STV numbers for the ongoing election is part of the motivation for this
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2013, 02:23:13 AM »

If there would be inter-regional regions each electing one legislator, why don't we have those use FPTP? The at-large election could still be done by PR-STV, but FPTP could make sense for elections of just one seat.

I admit that headache of calculating the PR-STV numbers for the ongoing election is part of the motivation for this

Approval voting has been the traditional mode of counting, but FPTP would be an exciting prospect as well.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2013, 11:46:51 AM »

For the sake of simplicity, all legislative elections should be held at the same time, and alongside the election for Emperor and the God-awful flag needs to be scrapped, but that's just my two cents.

I actually quite like this. Sharpened up of course.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2013, 03:22:14 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2013, 03:26:50 PM by Scott »

This doesn't have to do with the Constitution, but I thought I should bring this up... our wiki page is confusing and outdated.  The page for our legislature has not been updated in over a year and I don't have the image file to change the chart.  So, I was thinking we should revamp it and make it look a bit more like the Northeast's page, which is easy to edit and view who is in office at the time.  I'd do it myself, but I want to get some input from my fellow Southerners.

Also, have we been adding bills to the wiki?  That would be ideal, too.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2013, 03:25:59 PM »

Also, here is a new coat of arms to consider.

Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies