Favorite Sen. Robert KKK Byrd Quote (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:01:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Favorite Sen. Robert KKK Byrd Quote (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Which is your favorite Sen. Byrd quote?
Number 1

Number 2

Number 3

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 26

Author Topic: Favorite Sen. Robert KKK Byrd Quote  (Read 8607 times)
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« on: March 04, 2005, 01:44:42 AM »

As much as you Republicans are complaining about Byrd, how come you don't complain about Trent "Sheets" Lott, who never did renounce his own racism?

maybe because no one really cares what he says about Strom Thurmond. Personally, I think he was right on target with his statements.
Are you serious?!

are you?

So you think the country would be better if Thurmond won his Presidential bid in 1948 & kept segregation going??

Yes, segregation came to an immediate end with Trumans re-election. ok, sure.

It came with an end to a concept, known as "States Rights".
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2005, 01:54:23 AM »

As much as you Republicans are complaining about Byrd, how come you don't complain about Trent "Sheets" Lott, who never did renounce his own racism?

maybe because no one really cares what he says about Strom Thurmond. Personally, I think he was right on target with his statements.
Are you serious?!

are you?

So you think the country would be better if Thurmond won his Presidential bid in 1948 & kept segregation going??

No, States Rights is granted in the 10th Amendment. Glad to see you don't believe in the constitution you commie.

Well, I lost  faith in the 10th ammendment, when states like yours used to segregate people.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2005, 02:04:42 AM »

Are you serious?!

are you?

No, States Rights is granted in the 10th Amendment. Glad to see you don't believe in the constitution you commie.

Well, I lost  faith in the 10th ammendment, when states like yours used to segregate people.

When you decide to actually pick up a history book you will find out that states outside the south actually did have segregation as well.

California wasn't one of them.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:08:11 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 02:11:14 AM by New Left Marxist »

Are you serious?!

are you?

That concept isn't gone; many States' Righters today are Libertarians.  It's just the racist motivation behind States Rights that is now (for the most part) gone.  Any further discussion of this would be beating a dead horse.

And I like Byrd.  He was right about white ns.  There are plenty of them here, believe me.  (I may get boiled in hot water for that statement, but oh well.)

What's wrong w/acknowledging the fact that the states are supposed to actually have power as intended by the founders?

The Founding Fathers are, wait for it, DEAD. They have been for quite a few years, two hundred at least. They had some great vision and impetus for their time; however, they presided over the formation of what was originally a stopgap Constitution (it was, by the way) for a globally near-irrelevant coastal agrarian nation of four million people. In addition, they held slaves, relegated their wives to a second-class status, and had no problem devising methods by which to help ensure that only the wealthiest classes had true power.

Times have changed in the intervening 230 years. If you don't think things can change in 230 years, then I'm afraid we can't yet forgive Germany for murdering six million Jews (or, rather, we can't even acknowledge that Otto von Bismarck united the German nation in the first place, or that France and England aren't monarchies anymore, or that Japan is no longer an isolationsit country, or that this messageboard even exists).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies