Survey for Protestants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:20:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Survey for Protestants
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Survey for Protestants  (Read 5394 times)
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2005, 06:41:33 PM »

I was raised as a Catholic and have recently gone through a major tranformation. I left the church and became  agostic, I believed there was a higher power at work, but I wasn't going acknowledge God was that supreme being and I believed that Jesus was just a carpenter who thought he was God. Then when I came to college, for whatever reason, I'm not sure, I made my peace with God and accepted him back into my life, and I finally understood the sacrifice that Jesus made for all of us, and I have felt more positive about everything since doing that. Now this is what I have to say about the Catholics.

1-I believe Catholics are Christian. They need to find a better way to teach there youth. As in my case, they were unable to reach me. I understood why I was being taught the things they were teaching me in catachism.
2-I don't think Catholics are a cult, but the chanting was pretty weird, also what's with the kneeling and standing all of the time, its very confusing.
3-I don't think they worship Mary, but they do put a lot of emphasis on her.
4-The pope is a tough subject. I never understood what the pope was there for. It always seemed like he had some divine authority over me when I was a Catholic, but I never really bought into that. He's only a man. This was one of the reasons I left the church.

So did you ever see loads of anti-Catholic discrimination while you were Catholic which soulty claims is so common?

You are seriously misinterpriting me. I said it was wide-spread, but mostly subtle, sometimes not so subtle.

I think discirmination against catholics exists. My father and his side of the family are all very conservative Lutherans and my mothers side are Catholics. When my mother made my sister and I join the Catholic church, I think my Lutheran grandparents kind of didn't like that. There was always extreme tension between my mother and my grandmother until my parents divorced. I don't think that was the reason for the divorce, but it may have contributed to that.
danwxman

« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2005, 06:44:02 PM »

I don't have a problem with Catholics...

But I do think the church is hypocritical in its stance on social issues while children are being molested.

I'm also tired of hearing about the Pope on the news. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn.
J.R. Brown
Rutzay
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2005, 06:49:41 PM »

But I do think the church is hypocritical in its stance on social issues while children are being molested.

I'm also tired of hearing about the Pope on the news. Quite frankly, I don't give a damn.

I also think the hypocrisy in the Catholic church is despicable, that's one of the reasons I left the Catholic church. I do, however, fell compassion for the pope and what he's going through right now.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2005, 10:01:25 PM »

Yes, molestation only goes on in the Catholic Church. Lets forget all the bus drivers, protestant preachers, school teachers, neighbors, etc that molest children on a daily basis. This is exactly the kind of bigotry that SuperSoulty is referring to.
danwxman

« Reply #54 on: March 05, 2005, 10:13:16 PM »

Yes, molestation only goes on in the Catholic Church. Lets forget all the bus drivers, protestant preachers, school teachers, neighbors, etc that molest children on a daily basis. This is exactly the kind of bigotry that SuperSoulty is referring to.

Yep, but you don't have the Protestant church telling its members how to life their life. And the ones that do, I disagree with them.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #55 on: March 05, 2005, 10:15:47 PM »

Yep, but you don't have the Protestant church telling its members how to life their life. And the ones that do, I disagree with them.

What do you mean by "Telling members how to live their life"?
danwxman

« Reply #56 on: March 05, 2005, 10:17:50 PM »

What do you mean by "Telling members how to live their life"?

Pope propaganda, telling members how to vote, etc etc etc
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #57 on: March 05, 2005, 10:42:53 PM »
« Edited: March 05, 2005, 10:44:35 PM by Dakota Red »

Being told that I can't jack off, use condoms, or what days I can eat meat on is not something I want a church telling me. The Pope also said you can't be a communist and Catholic, which pisses me off even though I'm not really a communist, although there are many communist Catholics in Latin America and the Phillipines.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #58 on: March 05, 2005, 11:27:58 PM »

You don't give a damn because he is the leader of the Catholic Church.  If he were Bill Clinton or Nelson Mandela, you couldn't get enough news.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #59 on: March 05, 2005, 11:29:41 PM »

So... Jesus did not want people to live their lives for him?
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2005, 11:31:16 PM »

Being told that I can't jack off, use condoms, or what days I can eat meat on is not something I want a church telling me. The Pope also said you can't be a communist and Catholic, which pisses me off even though I'm not really a communist, although there are many communist Catholics in Latin America and the Phillipines.

Yeah, well the Pope acctually suffered under communism and you have not.  Maybe he has some insight that you lack.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2005, 11:33:01 PM »

for him. not some old man in a pointy hat. Jesus never said condoms were wrong or what days you could eat meat on.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2005, 11:36:54 PM »

for him. not some old man in a pointy hat. Jesus never said condoms were wrong or what days you could eat meat on.

Actually if you know about Jesus' suffering for 40days in the desert you would understand where the tradition of refraining from meat came from.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2005, 11:41:52 PM »

Well, seeing as the Pope is the ambassador of Christ, visa vie St. Peter....
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »

I believe he has no more of a connection to God than I do.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2005, 12:14:23 AM »

Fine, that's your belief.  You have your and I have mine.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2005, 07:34:21 AM »

I know this old man who puts a communist party button on his lapen when he's going to church, just to piss off the preist when he's going to recieve communion.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2005, 07:45:06 AM »

the Catholics still have dial up connections with God(via the Pope).
Martin Luther and John Calvin gave us wireless.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2005, 01:39:18 PM »

I know this old man who puts a communist party button on his lapen when he's going to church, just to piss off the preist when he's going to recieve communion.

why would he go to church just to piss off the priest?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2005, 01:43:51 PM »

Then don't watch TV. I can't stand some news stories but I understand when something is important to a good amount of people in the world. You're just an ignorant moron.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2005, 02:15:57 PM »

why would he go to church just to piss off the priest?

He doesnt go to church just to piss of the priest. That's just an intangible benefit. Tongue
Brandon H
brandonh
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.48, S: 1.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2005, 07:23:07 PM »

Looks like we have some people here that want to revive the Know Nothing Party.

The Catholic Church is the same Church started by Jesus. Jesus made Peter the first Pope, a lineage that continues for almost 2000 years. Yes, there was corruption in the Catholic Church that caused Martin Luther to break off and form the Lutheran Church. And the Catholic Church still has some problems today, but what religion doesn't. Lutheran, Batist, Methodist, Anglican, Episcopal, Pentacostal, Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, or anything else, all have their share of problems.

I'm respectful of non-Catholics as long as they are respectful of me. But if someone has their mind set of their anti-Catholic agenda then there is little that can be done except to pray for that person. Also pray that they understand the joy in the sharing of the Eucharist, the Living Body of Christ.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2005, 07:34:19 PM »

Looks like we have some people here that want to revive the Know Nothing Party.

The Catholic Church is the same Church started by Jesus. Jesus made Peter the first Pope, a lineage that continues for almost 2000 years. Yes, there was corruption in the Catholic Church that caused Martin Luther to break off and form the Lutheran Church. And the Catholic Church still has some problems today, but what religion doesn't. Lutheran, Batist, Methodist, Anglican, Episcopal, Pentacostal, Jewish, Islamic, Buddhist, Hindu, or anything else, all have their share of problems.

I'm respectful of non-Catholics as long as they are respectful of me. But if someone has their mind set of their anti-Catholic agenda then there is little that can be done except to pray for that person. Also pray that they understand the joy in the sharing of the Eucharist, the Living Body of Christ.

Their is no evidence whatsoever that Jesus made Peter the first pope.
danwxman

« Reply #73 on: March 06, 2005, 08:09:25 PM »

Exactly my point. Jesus was the son of God!! The Pope is a figurehead.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies