Survey for Protestants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 12:45:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Survey for Protestants
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Survey for Protestants  (Read 5335 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 03, 2005, 11:16:31 PM »

1-Do you believe Catholics are Christian?

2-Do you believe Catholics are a cult?

3-Do you believe Catholics worship Mary?

4-Do you believe Catholics worship the Pope?

Supersoulty claims this is believed by most Protestants.

My answers:

1-yes
2-no
3-no
4-no
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 11:39:51 PM »

1. Yeah

2. In a sense, I guess, but not any more than other religions.

3. No, not worship. If I'm not mistaken, they pray to the saints as mediators between themselves and God, which is a little weird if you ask me, but certainly not worship.

4. Of course not.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:55:44 PM »

No.

In a way.  Yes and no.

Yes.  They pray to her.  That is worship of someone other than God, which is forbidden by the Ten Commandments.

No.  I think.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2005, 02:15:55 AM »

- No religion is "Christian."  Only individuals can be Christians.  It varies; some Catholics are true Christians; some aren't.  Same goes for all Protestant sects.

- No

- No

- No
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 02:44:40 AM »

Altough I am aware that the official doctrine of the Church does not worship Mary, a lot of Catholics really go to excesses in their "devotions", so much that they are effectively commiting idolatry. If you don't believe me, you should pay a visit to Fatima.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 03:58:39 AM »

3. No, not worship. If I'm not mistaken, they pray to the saints as mediators between themselves and God, which is a little weird if you ask me, but certainly not worship.

You are mistaken.  As Catholics we pray with the saints directly to God.  By praying with others, our prays are strengthened, as Jesus tells us to "pray for one another".
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 04:02:05 AM »

Yes.  They pray to her.  That is worship of someone other than God, which is forbidden by the Ten Commandments.

Wrong again.  We pray through Mary, not to Mary.  Just as I decribed before with the Saints.  Jesus tells us to pray for one another and ask for each others prayers.  We do not "worship" Mary.  Glory goes to the Trinity and the Trinity alone.  We celebrate MAry as a special intercessory, as she is the Mother of God.  That's it.

Starting to get a clear picture here BRTD?
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 04:04:54 AM »

Altough I am aware that the official doctrine of the Church does not worship Mary, a lot of Catholics really go to excesses in their "devotions", so much that they are effectively commiting idolatry. If you don't believe me, you should pay a visit to Fatima.

I don't even know why you bother to say this. Of course, every religion has members who corrupt that religion for their needs. Is this even worth mentioning? Catholicism does not have any unusual amount of people who do this, so in this case, I do not think it is.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 04:13:40 AM »

Yes

You must be logged in to read this quote.

No

No

No
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 04:29:33 AM »

yes, no, no, no.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 04:30:48 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 04:37:53 AM by Frodo »

i consider myself irreligious, but my family (at least on my father's side) has been traditionally Episcopalian and Lutheran (given my Scandinavian heritage), so i suppose i would put myself down as mainline Protestant:

of course

aren't all religions, in their own way, cults that 'made it'?  i would say all of Christianity is a cult, with many sub-sects and denominations.  i would also consider Judaism as a cult, along with Islam. 

but to answer your question with the commonly accepted definition of 'cult', i would answer 'no'. 

i know that Mexican Catholics worship the Virgin of Gualdalupe as their patron saint and mother of Christ, so, though i understand they are worshipping God through Mary, from an outsider's point of view it certainly looks that way.   not that it bothers me of course -i have done similar when i lived in Japan, paying respects to various deities in Shinto shrines. 

in the end though, are we not worshipping the one god in all his manifestations, images, and names?  i believe so, and that is what ultimately unites all religions no matter how many gods and goddesses they may worship and honor -there is no such thing as there being one true faith or one true path to heaven or enlightenment. 

no, but at the same time, i am wary about whether they look up to him far too often.  i question sometimes to whom do they owe their allegiance to in the end when the 'rubber hits the road' -the Pope, or your country?  and i apply this same line of questioning to those with dual nationalities.   when i see Pope John Paul II interfering in the internal affairs of other nations, by demanding that Catholics follow his precepts and vote accordingly, it makes me all the more suspicious about the loyalty of Catholics, especially the more devout ones.   

12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 04:41:53 AM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 04:45:17 AM by Senator Supersoulty »

i know that Mexican Catholics worship the Virgin of Gualdalupe as their patron saint and mother of Christ, so from an outsider's point of view it certainly looks that way.  not that it bothers me of course -i have done similar when i lived in Japan, paying respects to various deities in Shinto shrines. 

in the end though, are we not worshipping the one god in all his manifestations, images, and names?  i believe so, and that is what ultimately unites all religions no matter how many gods and goddesses they may worship and honor -there is no such thing as there being one true faith or one true path to heaven or enlightenment. 

WRONG WRONG WRONG.  How many times do I have to say this.  Catholics do not "pray to saints".  That is a lie that was started by Protestants that has become so common that some Catholics who don't know their faith even believe it now.  There is no God, but the Holy Trinity and we worship only the Father, Son and Holy Spirit.  We pray with Mary and the Saints, not to them.

WOW!!! If this isn't a classic anti-Catholic argument, I don't know what is.  People have been using this one since the 1820's. 

"John Kennedy (or Al Smith) can't be President, because he would take orders directly from the Vatican.  This is as idiotic as the myth that Catholics have duel citizenship.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 04:43:01 AM »

So BRTD, was this whole thing meant to prove me wrong.  Because, so far it a back fired on you hideously.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 04:51:27 AM »

It's good to see a Catholic truly defending himself, and I commend you for it, as I think Catholics get a bad rap all too often.  May I just suggest you not be so pugnacious? Smiley

Thank you.

I appologize.  To say that this is a touchy subject for me is an understatement.  I don't mean to be offensive, and I certainly do not want to let on that I am somehow anti-Protestant, because I am not.

I just find it unbelievable that people can't see what is obvious, even when I go to such great pains to try to explain it to them.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 04:56:43 AM »

I would also like to point out that I think those who have answered so far are trying to bury their true feelings.

All have said that they think that Catholics are Christians.

However, many have said that they do think that we worship saints and Mary.

This is a contradition.  No one who worships anyone other than the Father, Son and Holy Spirit can be a Christian.

Either these people don't seme to recongnize the contradiction, or they are burying it for PC purposes, but still think it.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 04:58:57 AM »

It's good to see a Catholic truly defending himself, and I commend you for it, as I think Catholics get a bad rap all too often.  May I just suggest you not be so pugnacious? Smiley

Thank you.

I appologize.  To say that this is a touchy subject for me is an understatement.  I don't mean to be offensive, and I certainly do not want to let on that I am somehow anti-Protestant, because I am not.

I just find it unbelievable that people can't see what is obvious, even when I go to such great pains to try to explain it to them.
Yes, I fully understand; I doubt there are many Catholics that are anti-Protestant (as much as it pains me to say it, there are definitely more Protestants who are anti-Catholic), but I think that the Catholics and Protestants should put aside their differences for the time being to present to a chaotic world a united church, one that isn't filled with partisan strife and contradictions.  At a time when terrorists present a threat to the world's leading country, poverty and starvation are rampant in the Third World, and people are dying everyday thanks to preventable diseases, the world needs a united church more than ever.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 05:03:19 AM »

Thank you.

Yes, I fully understand; I doubt there are many Catholics that are anti-Protestant (as much as it pains me to say it, there are definitely more Protestants who are anti-Catholic), but I think that the Catholics and Protestants should put aside their differences for the time being to present to a chaotic world a united church, one that isn't filled with partisan strife and contradictions.  At a time when terrorists present a threat to the world's leading country, poverty and starvation are rampant in the Third World, and people are dying everyday thanks to preventable diseases, the world needs a united church more than ever.

I think that we must put aside our differences as well.  Mind you, please, this all started just because I stated that Ethnic Catholics are a minority group.  It was then claimed that I was looking for pity for being Catholic.  It was at that point that the whole conversation tunred to anti-Catholicism.  Stupid, really.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2005, 10:43:48 AM »

You are mistaken.  As Catholics we pray with the saints directly to God.  By praying with others, our prays are strengthened, as Jesus tells us to "pray for one another".
Two questions:

1) How does "pray for one another" translate into "pray with dead people?"

2) Praying, or consulting with the dead (saints, or Mary), is witchcraft, which is prohibited by God.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2005, 10:49:24 AM »

So BRTD, was this whole thing meant to prove me wrong.  Because, so far it a back fired on you hideously.

The only person who has said the loony stuff you claim all Protestants believe is Richius. And how many "yes, no, no, no"'s do we have?

my opinion as well.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2005, 12:01:34 PM »
« Edited: March 04, 2005, 12:10:00 PM by jmfcst »

Don't they believe in Christ?

They are probably on par with most Christian sects and not nearly as bad as full feldge cults like the Mormons.

dont know, they do believe false doctrines about her

No, they just believe false doctrines about him
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2005, 01:37:45 PM »

The only person who has said the loony stuff you claim all Protestants believe is Richius. And how many "yes, no, no, no"'s do we have?

my opinion as well.

Several people have said that they believe that Catholics worship Mary and the Saints.

You just admitted that you believe this.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 01:39:37 PM »

Two questions:

1) How does "pray for one another" translate into "pray with dead people?"

2) Praying, or consulting with the dead (saints, or Mary), is witchcraft, which is prohibited by God.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I left my Bible up at school, so you will have to wait a few hours for me to smash you into the ground for this.

But... Amen.  Amen.  I say to you.  It will happen.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2005, 01:40:36 PM »

my opinion as well.

Several people have said that they believe that Catholics worship Mary and the Saints.

You just admitted that you believe this.

No I did not. I simply said that I think some go too far with their Marian devotions.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2005, 01:44:34 PM »

i find protestants and catholics equally as annoying.

but that is just me.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2005, 01:47:03 PM »

I'm not a Protestant, but here's my own opinion on it:

Don't care

Don't care

Don't care

Don't care

Honestly, nobody knows what the "real" answers are to life's big questions and those who claim to know have only deluded themselves into thinking that their own opinion about a theory is, in fact, the one true reality.

Because of this, I honestly could not care less what Catholics do or don't do.  For all we know, their version of everything could be the "one true answer" and all the Protestants were wrong all along.  Or they might all be right because God might honestly not care what you specifically do as long as you're generally doing the right thing.  They are who they are, and you are who you are.  Let them be.  Sheesh.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies