The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia - MAP SELECTED
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:12:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia - MAP SELECTED
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: The Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia - MAP SELECTED  (Read 14142 times)
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 27, 2013, 05:21:07 PM »
« edited: October 26, 2013, 10:02:28 PM by Adam Griffin »

In an attempt to crowd-source a viable three-region plan with some teeth attached, I opened the first CARCA attempt yesterday. I overestimated the amount of tangible support that existed for such a binding convention: I was wrong. This is an issue that I and many others are passionate about, and I won't let an overreach stand in the way of progress. While I still doubt the overall effectiveness of any plan that does not have some guaranteed form of support from its inception, I invite the pro-consolidation movement to prove me wrong again. This convention will be identical to the first one, save no requirement for support following the convention will be required.

Someone had a great idea when it was said that the proponents of regional consolidation need to come together and facilitate a common plan before any progress can be made. The subject of consolidation has been widely discussed for months and has provoked many debates. As time has progressed, however, the basic framework of what is feasible within the realm of public opinion has formed at least a skeleton of what any proposal should resemble.

While three and four-region proposals have been discussed, it has become increasingly clear that a three-region proposal has an overwhelming amount of public support within the pro-consolidation movement, which based on both polling and anecdotal observation of the forums has majority support of the country. Because of this, it only makes sense that proponents of regional consolidation begin to coalesce around this reality and unite behind a three-region solution.

The purpose of the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia (CARCA) will serve a limited and defined purpose. The framework of this convention is outlined below:

• CARCA will serve as a public convention for all who support regional consolidation.
  • CARCA's sole purpose for existence is to facilitate discussion, deliberation and a vote among the convention members to produce one officially endorsed three-region map.
  • Each convention member may submit one three-region map proposal.
  • The submission period shall last for 168 hours and shall commence as soon as sixteen individuals (10% of pop) have joined this convention.
  • Each submission shall be assigned a name in the format of 'Map X', where 'X' is the chronological order in which the proposed map was submitted.
  • The method of the vote shall be score voting (0-9), with 9 being the most favorable and 0 being the least favorable. The map with the highest overall score at the conclusion of the vote will be adopted as the endorsed map of CARCA.
  • All submitted three-region proposals shall be put to a vote.
  • The vote shall commence immediately following the end of the submission period and shall also last for 168 hours, or until 100% of convention members have voted.
  • Any proponent of regional consolidation who makes the pledge outlined below shall be considered a member of CARCA following their affirmation, so long as they affirm prior to the commencement of the vote.

CARCA Pledge:

I, ________, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 05:22:53 PM »

I, Adam Griffin, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 05:24:08 PM »

I, Maxwell, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 05:24:51 PM »

I, TyrionTheImperialist, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 05:37:40 PM »

I, SJoyce, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 05:50:49 PM »

I, Talleyrand, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »

I, Mr. X, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 06:23:03 PM »
« Edited: October 01, 2013, 05:03:20 PM by Asheville »

I, Flo/Asheville/FloridianOranges/AlaskanSalmon/JacobTiver, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:41:04 PM »

I, Superique, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:00:00 PM »

I obviously support Regional Reform (with 3 regions as well), but I have a small (and somewhat dumb) concern about joining this Convention right away. Considering that recent Senate proposals leave the role of drawing the boundaries to the executive officers of Atlasia (or at least that was the original idea), I think that there is a small conflict of interest here (and I certainly want to leave all options open with my fellow executives in the Council of Nyman), which is why I won't be joining CARCA.

Of course, I will follow the discussion that will ensue here (great idea, Griffin!) and I will take into account the proposed map that this convention will draft. That said, I'm not staying away from this because of the reasons given by some in the other thread (most of them were unfair to this Convention's spirit), but somehow I don't think it is a good idea for me to join such a group when  not all regional executives will be here, even if this has a merely advisory and constructive role.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 09:01:59 PM »

So you decide to erase all record of your error where there was actually some real discourse starting? That's a shame. I mean, I'm definitely happy to see the blood oath disappear, but still. It's sort of like a revisionist history, no?

Otherwise, what has gone on here... Well, it happens: Atlasians get swept up in the winds of the newest gimmick and then, at the end of the day, realize it was a mistake. Unfortunately, dismantling the game will not be so reversible.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 09:26:08 PM »

I obviously support Regional Reform (with 3 regions as well), but I have a small (and somewhat dumb) concern about joining this Convention right away. Considering that recent Senate proposals leave the role of drawing the boundaries to the executive officers of Atlasia (or at least that was the original idea), I think that there is a small conflict of interest here (and I certainly want to leave all options open with my fellow executives in the Council of Nyman), which is why I won't be joining CARCA.

Of course, I will follow the discussion that will ensue here (great idea, Griffin!) and I will take into account the proposed map that this convention will draft. That said, I'm not staying away from this because of the reasons given by some in the other thread (most of them were unfair to this Convention's spirit), but somehow I don't think it is a good idea for me to join such a group when  not all regional executives will be here, even if this has a merely advisory and constructive role.

I share your concerns to a point, but I don't think there's any harm in hearing what the convention has to say and voting.

While we will likely have the power, I am a fan of transparency, and there's not really much harm in me showing my hand in the public arena. I would much rather respond to the people than be insulated.

With that said, your concerns are real, and I'm very aware of the fact that I'm publicly a member of a convention reflecting something I must also do in private. My decision wasn't taken lightly, in other words.
GAworth
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »

I, _GAworth__, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.

Much better.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 08:56:59 AM »

So you decide to erase all record of your error where there was actually some real discourse starting? That's a shame. I mean, I'm definitely happy to see the blood oath disappear, but still. It's sort of like a revisionist history, no?

Otherwise, what has gone on here... Well, it happens: Atlasians get swept up in the winds of the newest gimmick and then, at the end of the day, realize it was a mistake. Unfortunately, dismantling the game will not be so reversible.

No, it really isn't revisionist history if you read the OP.  If anything it demonstrates that this is a good-faith effort since Griffin was so willing to give up the second part of the pledge to improve the chances of a successful convention.  If this were some partisan scheme, then it'd have made no sense to scrap that part of the pledge.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 03:04:03 PM »

Really? The pledge was killing the convention. If Labor wants to use the convention to create legitimacy, this version of the convention is the only one that would ever fly. It lacks teeth, but to them, it's better than nothing. I mean, obviously I don't want it to take off, but the faith people are putting in the purity of Griffin's motives is really disconcerting.

My qualm isn't with this new convention though. It's with the fact that the old one was obliterated from the record. People deserve to have access to the process of this movement. Especially because there were some issues of real substance brought up in the old thread.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 03:54:55 PM »

Really? The pledge was killing the convention. If Labor wants to use the convention to create legitimacy, this version of the convention is the only one that would ever fly. It lacks teeth, but to them, it's better than nothing. I mean, obviously I don't want it to take off, but the faith people are putting in the purity of Griffin's motives is really disconcerting.

My qualm isn't with this new convention though. It's with the fact that the old one was obliterated from the record. People deserve to have access to the process of this movement. Especially because there were some issues of real substance brought up in the old thread.

But they were issues for a pro-consolidation vs. anti-consolidation debate.  The convention is supposed to be about determining the best three region map.  So in that sense, nothing relevant was brought up in the old thread.  But anyway, back to the matter at hand, all due respect Hagrid but this convention really isn't about any of the issues you've raised so far.  That debate can be had later.
PJ
Politics Junkie
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 09:17:15 PM »

I, Politics Junkie, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2013, 01:26:02 PM »

Shameless bump #1
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2013, 09:22:06 PM »

I, Fritz, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2013, 02:46:37 AM »

By Region:

Mideast - 3
Midwest - 3
Northeast - 0
Pacific - 4
South - 2

By Party:

Lab - 6
Pro - 4
Fed - 1
Ind - 1
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2013, 02:26:03 PM »

Why the hell not!

I, Gass3268, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2013, 05:04:58 PM »

I, Njall, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2013, 12:12:58 AM »
« Edited: October 03, 2013, 12:18:33 AM by Asheville »

Electoral map of Atlasia as of October 3rd.

I couldn't get rid of the congressional districts in Maine and Nebraska, so just ignore it for now unless someone can do the thing.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 09:52:05 AM »
« Edited: August 13, 2014, 09:39:29 AM by DemPGH, President »

CARCA Pledge:

I, _DemPGH_, publicly support regional consolidation. I understand that regional consolidation requires compromise and collaboration. In the pursuit of progress and in the spirit of collaboration, I hereby join the Convention for Agreement on Regional Consolidation in Atlasia. I shall have the right to debate, to submit a map proposal for regional consolidation and to vote on all entries submitted during the submission period.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 11:27:29 AM »

I want to be involved, but I'm not going to take the pledge. I won't take the Grover Norquist pledge either for the record.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies