DDT Re-Introduction Bill (reintroduced) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 08:18:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  DDT Re-Introduction Bill (reintroduced) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: DDT Re-Introduction Bill (reintroduced)  (Read 3705 times)
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« on: March 05, 2005, 01:43:12 AM »

I wonder why we continue to produce the stuff if we're not prepared to sell it, and what other nations feel about us exporting to them?

I would like to know more about the current reasons why Atlasia doesn't export at present, and if it is too dangerous to do so, why we continue to produce and use it here.

We hardly produce any because its illegal to sell it here or export it abroad.

DDT was banned because a woman named Rachel Carson wrote a book in 1962 (?) claiming that birds ate the mosquitos which DDT was designed to kill, and they ingested DDT with the mosquitos.  The book then claimed that the DDT chemical caused bird egg shells to  be too thin to protect the embryo and that this was the major reason bird populations were declining.

This book, while still revered by most environmentalists, has come under fire recently.  More and more, scientists believe bird populations declined for the same reason a broad spectrum of species were declining in the 20th Century- loss of habitat and excessive hunting.  Studies have cast doubt on whether DDT is as harmful as once feared.

As a result of DDT bans, the west began using more expensive chemical insect poisons.  The third world cannot afford these poisons, and so they go without effective mosquito killers.  These mosquitos carry disease, namely malaria, and thrive in tropical areas.  Malaria, a disease nearly eradicated by DDT, has come back in the last few decades in DDT's absence, killing countless people in rural areas of the third world.

My reason for introducing the bill was that I believe:

1. DDT will reduce the occurence of malaria in the third world
2. The health effects of DDT are overstated
3. The environmental impact of DDT is overstated
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies