Opinion of Halloween
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:20:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Halloween
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: .
Freedom Day

Horrible Day

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 52

Author Topic: Opinion of Halloween  (Read 2222 times)
Flake
JacobTiver
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 01, 2013, 11:40:39 PM »

Freedom
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 12:42:25 AM »

Freedom. I'm planning to go as Hillary Clinton. Just need to find a good ladyboy store where I can buy kitty heels in womens' size 16. Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 12:47:42 AM »

FD if you're under 12 (assuming you don't have asshat parents that prevent you from celebrating it), meh for normal folk.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 05:15:38 AM »

My 2nd favourite holiday. I think I'm gonna go as the ghost of Reagan this year.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 07:12:56 AM »

FD. 
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 09:31:20 AM »

Option 1, free to be whoever you want, costume wise.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 10:45:20 AM »

Let's see, about 50 snot nosed little f[inks]ers come running up to my door, don't even say trick or treat, or thank you, and it's usually awful weather, so HD.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 07:16:49 PM »

Not sure.  I like dressing up and getting candy, but I never liked the spooky/scary stuff.  Plus, I live in a rural area, so we hardly ever get any trick-or-treaters at my house.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:22:12 PM »

I like dressing up and getting candy, but I never liked the spooky/scary stuff.

The most adorable sentence ever written on Atlas.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:37:45 PM »

Major freedom day. A buddy of mine usually throws a pretty good party and for me it kind of kicks off the holiday season, which, along with midsummer, is my favorite time of year.

It's also a good excuse to watch a few old cheesy horror movies. Smiley
Dancing with Myself
tb75
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2013, 10:30:12 PM »

Freedom, the whole month is.

Too bad I have to work Halloween night smh.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2013, 10:40:55 PM »

A former Freedom Day ruined in the past few decades by adults unwilling to leave all the fun to the children.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2013, 01:50:11 PM »

Here's an idea:  let's have a day when all the children go from door to door filling their guts with sugar, lard, artificial colors, artificial flavors, empty calories, phosphoric acid, preservatives, and synthetic antioxidants and stabilizers for which no human has evolved the enzymes to digest.  Also, let's have them bring these questionable treats to their classrooms to share with other children, and let them eat the treats in quantities that no sane parent would allow any other time of year. 

What's not to like about Halloween?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »

It's funny that the olds in this thread are the ones sounding off against it. Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »

It's funny that the olds in this thread are the ones sounding off against it. Tongue

asshat parent alert  Wink

FWIW, asshat parent though I am, I still do allow the boy to dress up like the village idiot and go from door to door, after dark, to fill his bag with copious quantities of unspeakably horrible candies and then to eat these unhealthy candies at home and at school.  Not a tradition that I would have invented, but one that I participated in as a child and one that I let my child participate in.  They cycle should end somewhere, but I haven't the guts to end it.  Maybe his generation will.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2013, 02:02:13 PM »

Seems like the best holiday - as far as I know it is untainted by either Christianity or patriotism.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2013, 08:14:41 PM »

Here's an idea:  let's have a day when all the children go from door to door filling their guts with sugar, lard, artificial colors, artificial flavors, empty calories, phosphoric acid, preservatives, and synthetic antioxidants and stabilizers for which no human has evolved the enzymes to digest.  Also, let's have them bring these questionable treats to their classrooms to share with other children, and let them eat the treats in quantities that no sane parent would allow any other time of year.  

What's not to like about Halloween?

Eggings, forkings, wet TP assaults, and consumerism. Otherwise it is a holiday wrought of win. FD!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2013, 08:47:12 PM »

Freedom. I'm planning to go as Hillary Clinton. Just need to find a good ladyboy store where I can buy kitty heels in womens' size 16. Tongue

We look forward to seeing the photographs. Smiley
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2013, 08:56:04 PM »

What Ernest said. Haven't been interested in it since junior high.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2013, 08:59:47 PM »

Freedom Holiday for little kids.

Kind of annoying once you're older. I don't dig the whole costume party thing.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2013, 09:18:10 PM »

Well, it's the inauguration of the "Holiday Season", e.g., the first sign that the end is nigh. Pretty soon we'll all be singing old Lang syne and reflecting on another year gone bye.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2013, 08:45:39 AM »

Eggings, forkings, wet TP assaults, and consumerism. Otherwise it is a holiday wrought of win. FD!

I'm familiar with egging and wrapping, but forking is a new concept for me.  Is it like spooning?  I hear that spooning often leads to forking.

I don't dig the whole costume party thing.

I guess I don't mind those.  We're going to one on the 26th.  I'll wear my pirate costume, like I always do.  Sometimes I change it up a bit.  One year I was a software pirate, another year I was a butt pirate.  Usually I'm just a regular pirate.

My son was Barney when he was 3, 4, and 5.  When he was six he wanted to be a mummy.  That was a very time-intensive endeavor.  We got bout 20 rolls of that stuff that orthopedic surgeons soak in clay and wrap around your arm when you break it, but we didn't soak it in clay.  We just wrapped and wrapped him.  Of course, I made sure that he emptied his bladder first.  Then, in the second grade, he wanted to be a Ninja warrior.  Now he's starting to get into the bloody stuff.  His tastes in costumes have gone progressively more creepy from child-friendly TV character to mass murderer.  

At least we're past the 90s, when men dressing as women was all the rage.  It was horrid.  There was one party I went to in about 1998 when fully half of all the men went in drag.  Some of them were pretty hot, I have to admit, but it was so creepy.  I think that fad must have peaked that year.  Now, in a party of 60 people you might see zero or one person cross-dressing as a costume.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2013, 09:55:29 AM »
« Edited: October 16, 2013, 10:00:11 AM by DemPGH, V.P. »

It's more the atmosphere of Halloween that appeals to me - I'm neither "a young" nor "an old." Tongue

Pranks are for kids, yes. I don't get off on that in the slightest.

Holidays are just an excuse to get away from the rat race and not do anything, so I like all of them.

I don't dig the whole costume party thing.

I don't either. A buddy of mine tried to have one one time a couple years ago and no one dressed up. Well, this one guy wore some sort of black or navy blue cloak and put make-up or something on, and one couple did some some sort of Bavarian blonde German girl / guy thing. But that was it. I think costume parties are usually just pretty hokey, especially if you're an adult. I go more to BS with people I don't see that often and drink a lot of wine than to generally look weird.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2013, 12:18:10 PM »

I'm familiar with egging and wrapping, but forking is a new concept for me.  Is it like spooning?  I hear that spooning often leads to forking.

Unfortunately, no...

angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2013, 12:47:54 PM »

Ah, aeration of the lawn.  Around here folks pay landscapers 40 dollars per hour to do that.  They ride over the lawn with a little tractor that has a big roller with spikes.  You're getting it for free!

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies