2004 Democratic Primary (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:03:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  2004 Democratic Primary (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2004 Democratic Primary  (Read 439973 times)
Beaver
Rookie

« on: June 08, 2004, 01:28:20 PM »

Hey all,

I don't know how many people here are actually from Canada, but I am.  One of the things that I find most frustrating about our electoral system is that, when voting, I often clash between whether to vote locally and take my MP into consideration, or whether to vote federally and take the party leader into consideration.  For example, last election I hated my Liberal Candidate for MP but loved Chretien.  This election, I love my Liberal Candidate and hate Martin.

Then I started thinking about how I'd vote if our country was like the US and we elected our PM like a President.  Personally, I'd vote for a Liberal MP but Jack Layton (NDP) for Prime Minister.

Anyone else care to voice their opinions?  Or, for those outside of canada, any thoughts on which leader you'd prefer?

I am in Canada. I am a Conservative and will vote Conservative, but I'm not crazy about Harper. I come from the Progressive Conservatives and wasn't too keen on Alliance. I am however glad that the parties merged. It actually gives us a chance!
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 02:57:10 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 02:59:07 PM by Beaver »

You poor misguided... Beaver, voting Conservative is a TERRIBLE idea, hopefully the fates will smile upon us and give us a Liberal Minority government, or if worse comes to worse, a Conservative minority.

Siege

I assume you are an NDP fan. My dad worked for and is good friends with Brian Mulroney so there is absolutely no chance I am switching parties.
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 03:12:30 PM »

You poor misguided... Beaver, voting Conservative is a TERRIBLE idea, hopefully the fates will smile upon us and give us a Liberal Minority government, or if worse comes to worse, a Conservative minority.

Siege

I assume you are an NDP fan. My dad worked for and is good friends with Brian Mulroney so there is absolutely no chance I am switching parties.

Where are you from (Province) and where is your riding?

Siege

I live in Ajax, Ontario. It's a safe Liberal seat
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2004, 01:52:29 PM »

New poll by Global National puts the Conservatives in the lead:

Conservatives: 117 seats
Liberals: 112 seats
Bloc Quebecois: 55 seats
NDP: 24 seats

The Liberals still lead in the national percentage with 33% over the Conservatives 30%.

http://www.canada.com/regina/leaderpost/news/story.html?id=12e18e07-05d8-4d95-8159-e8140e264100
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004, 06:08:05 PM »

If the LPC and the NDP semi-unite they can fend off the conservatives.

That will never happen
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2004, 06:11:55 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2004, 02:17:51 PM by Beaver »

I think that if the Liberals died off like the PC's just did, that would be a sad day for Canada.  I'm rooting for the CPC over the LPC... but I really want my Progressive Conservatives back!

The Liberals won't go anywhere. People always talk about NDP becoming a major player which never seems to happen. They look good in polls, but fail to deliver on election day. They are just too far to the left. The Liberal Party will continue to be the main opposition if the Conservatives win.

Yes, sadly the Progressive Conservatives are no more. It is the party I was raised in, and my family has a long history with PC. But if we had not united with Alliance this election would not even be on the radar.
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2004, 05:02:55 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2004, 05:04:38 PM by Beaver »

The Alliance wing of the Conservative party, which seems to be dominating has some scary right wing ideas. In time I hope to see Harper's numbers freeze and decline. I doubt that the NDP and LPC would work together, the NDP would likely lose all credibility.

Siege

Yes, the Alliance wing dominates because they were far larger than PC at the time of the merger. Thier ideas, while I disagree with many of them, are no scarier than the ones put out by the New Democrats, nor are they any more right wing than those put out by the American Republicans.
Beaver
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2004, 06:36:58 PM »
« Edited: June 11, 2004, 06:38:50 PM by Beaver »

I know, Republicans scare me too.

I just wanted to say to all those here who are registered voters of the Northeast to consider me for the Governorship, I'm specifically talking to Democrats, since their former canidate Handzus was dropped from the race, he's a good guy and endorsed me. So to Kevinstat and all other Democrats, please vote and consider Siege40 for Governor.

Siege

Republicans don't scare me, but many of them make me very angry(especially Bush).

Can you run in Fantasy Elections as a Canadian, or do you have to pick a state?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies