Tom Clancy Book Recommendations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:37:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Tom Clancy Book Recommendations
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tom Clancy Book Recommendations  (Read 290 times)
Wake Me Up When The Hard Border Ends
Anton Kreitzer
YaBB God
Australia

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: 3.11

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 02, 2013, 08:51:15 PM »

In the wake of Mr. Clancy's passing, I was wondering, which of his books do you fellow Atlasians recommend?

Thought I'd start a separate thread for this, so I don't take over the thread commemorating him.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 09:57:11 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2013, 10:56:12 AM by True Federalist »

Red Storm Rising

The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger

The Jack Ryan novels jumped the shark beginning with The Sum of All Fears, altho the John Clark prequel, Without Remorse, is reasonably good.

Other than the six titles above, I recommend you stay away from them unless you liked the Roger Moore era of Bond films as the plots of the later novels are about as believable as the Roger Moore Bond films, but the characters not as witty.

Clancy is an excellent example of an author who suffered from becoming a franchise.
Mordecai
Australia

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 09:19:04 AM »

Red Storm Rising

The Hunt for Red October, Patriot Games, The Cardinal of the Kremlin, Clear and Present Danger

The Jack Ryan novels jumped the shark beginning with The Sum of All Fears, altho the John Clark prequel, Without Remorse, is reasonably good.

Other than the six titles above, I recommend you stay away from them unless you liked the Roger Moore era of Bond films as the plots of the later novels are about as believable as the Roger Moore Bond films, but the characters not as witty.

Clancy in an excellent example of an author who suffered from becoming a franchise.
Pretty much this. Although the franchising did end up creating a lot of other good stuff like the Tom Clancy video games released in the late 90s and early 2000s.

But yeah the longer his novels went on (post-Clear and Present Danger) the more they evolved into a political polemic. If you're a conservative/Republican you might enjoy it more but I found it grating.

I consider a lot of his earlier work to be better than his later work. The newer stuff is ghostwritten and doesn't really compare.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies