Opinion of Behavioral Interviews
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:38:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Behavioral Interviews
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Freedom Interviews

Horrible Interviews

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 13

Author Topic: Opinion of Behavioral Interviews  (Read 377 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:43:00 AM »

Behavioral interviews are a popular trend in the job market these days. They're the kind with questions like "Tell me about a time you had to work in a team". My experience is that they are more popular with government and very large firms but haven't really caught on in small business.

What do you think of them?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 02:27:26 PM »

I don't think I've ever been interviewed and not heard some variant of that question.

I'm not a huge fan of such a line of questioning, as it strikes me as an attempt to determine "fit" in the workplace culture before really attempting to get at the more germane interview topics, such as relevant education and experience. With that said, the really horrible answers to such a question may weed out some people who are just too individualistic or self-centered to be of any use to the company, so it might serve some purpose. I don't necessarily think it's a bad question if the right weight is put on it (which is very little), and I wouldn't shy away from asking it, but I generally do question the intentions of the interviewer when it's asked.

I guess I "lean" horrible.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 03:15:29 PM »

Is this even disputed? Horrible interview.

Intrusive bullsh**t that demonstrates the power that the capitalists have these days - being a good worker is now no longer good enough, you have to have the 'perfect' personality too (impossibly extraverted & selfless, showing a fanatical level of dedication to the toil whilst donning sh**t-eating grins all the while etc).
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 03:31:33 PM »

Is this even disputed? Horrible interview.

Intrusive bullsh**t that demonstrates the power that the capitalists have these days - being a good worker is now no longer good enough, you have to have the 'perfect' personality too (impossibly extraverted & selfless, showing a fanatical level of dedication to the toil whilst donning sh**t-eating grins all the while etc).

I mean yeah or it could be just that companies prefer to hire employees that they know are going to work well with other people.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 03:38:07 PM »
« Edited: October 03, 2013, 03:45:30 PM by rejectamenta »

Even s**theads need to work so they don't starve, go homeless or die of some otherwise benign illness. I view negatively anything that requires a worker or potential worker to prove themselves on a non-occupational basis.

Actually I dislike anything that requires a worker to prove themselves. I saw an interesting interview with a former employee at the San Jose Assembly Plant (Ford) and he went on about open drug use on the premises, and also one job in particular that basically entailed slapping instruction stickers onto the reverse side of trunks. What a triumphant time for America.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:46:18 PM »

I mean yeah or it could be just that companies prefer to hire employees that they know are going to work well with other people.

Yeah, I'm sure workers with an inability to work with others could scrape up numerous good references.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies