Does the left not realize that Americans dont want the ACA?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:54:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Does the left not realize that Americans dont want the ACA?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Does the left not realize that Americans dont want the ACA?  (Read 4664 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 02:59:49 PM »

Popular vote for US House of Representatives:

Republican Party: 58,541,130
Democratic Party: 60,252,696

Are you sure on these numbers, Joe? I thought the Dems outpolled the GOP by only about a million or a half-million votes (can't recall exactly which).
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 03:25:19 PM »

To my Republican friends, there's a simple answer.

If the American people want to get rid of Obamacare, they can elect a Republican President, a Republican Senate, and a Republican House.  On that day, I'm sure you'll succeed in repealing Obamacare!

Until then, set your sights lower and maybe focus on amending it and helping it work better for everyone.
Link
« Reply #52 on: October 05, 2013, 03:26:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2013/feb/19/steny-hoyer/steny-hoyer-house-democrats-won-majority-2012-popu/

The idea that the Republicans are doing what Americans want is absurd.  I can't believe that this thread was started in the first place and I'm even more dumbstruck at the level of hackery involved in posting a Congressional map... that stands as the most stark reminder that the very objective of Republicans is to construct something that is as far away from democracy as possible.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: October 05, 2013, 03:48:36 PM »

1. What would you like in it's place? You can't just repeal something and not offer an alternative.

Personally I would look at tort reform and emulating many French policies concerning healthcare.

~40% approval is pretty solid relative to public opinion of many other federal government actions / nonactions/ programs / etc.

As another consideration the People are generally not well informed, nor are they particularly wise when it comes to rationally going about the policy-making process. Public opinion as it pertains to individual issues should only really matter to delegate and politico-styled officials. Trustee-oriented folk like me reckon elected officials should lead instead of follow the masses.

. . . Whether the Republicans deserve a House majority is a separate issue; but that it exists is indisputable.

Aye. Though I do not agree with how it is being done, the House is and - to be a bit empathetic here - really ought to continue being a thorn in the President's side on issues like this.

Though this is a great blessing for many folk, for a number of others the rush to get on is so the government won't start fining them for not having private insurance they already could not afford. Some of the poor are well-subsidized, making the costs of coverage quite reasonable, but to use a personal anecdote I am not eligible for the subsidies in Montana because my current gross income is at ~79% rather than betwixt 100% and 400% of the poverty level.

In practice this is going to be a regressive tax on thousands of the uninsured, un- or under-employed poor in states like mine; many will weigh their options on the site and realize they have to pay the fine each year instead of getting coverage that would cost so much as to force them to choose between going hungry and going homeless (assuming for a moment they are not already). Unless I accept charity, next year I will be uninsured until I can get another job.

On the other hand, this particular issue only exists in MT courtesy of Republican efforts to defy and resist the ACA. At least the law is better than what came before it for most people?
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies