If there are any remotely rational, empathetic Republicans left...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:53:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  If there are any remotely rational, empathetic Republicans left...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: If there are any remotely rational, empathetic Republicans left...  (Read 3285 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 03, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »

...please, for the love of all that is good and holy, stand up to the people who have taken over your party.

A Democrat can't convince these people. There's no hope for that...
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:10:55 PM »

I stand with Cruz, Paul and their allies. They are the rational ones in the party. When will the rational Democrats stand up to the 60's radicals who have taken over your party.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:13:29 PM »

I stand with Cruz, Paul and their allies. They are the rational ones in the party. When will the rational Democrats stand up to the 60's radicals who have taken over your party.
In 1992 with the nomination of future president Bill Clinton.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 11:16:51 PM »

In what universe was the Democratic Party taken over by "60s radicals"?

MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 11:29:44 PM »

This one.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 11:34:19 PM »

If the Dems are 60s radicals what the HELL does that make the bats*** insane GOPers then?
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2013, 11:43:33 PM »

If the Dems are 60s radicals what the HELL does that make the bats*** insane GOPers then?

Probably something like Jay Gould, the late 19th century industrialist who once boasted during a routine union-busting exercise, "I can pay half of the working class to kill the other half."
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 11:46:08 PM »

You know, some days its hard to be a republican.

Obama passed Obama care, he did a bunch of stuff, he got reelected, okay, then what? I mean, the guy was reelected. Get over it. DOn;t shut down this government because of something The People voted to KEEP in office. Christ almighty. ing tea party is ruining the party I once held so near and dear to my heart and forcing me to switch sides and become a Democrat.

What will this solve? We aren;t getting RID of Obama care. If we wanted to do that, we would have elected Romney, but we didn't, so here it is. Hang it around our necks and OWN it like a hooker owns her reputation.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 11:52:31 PM »

Not the one where a Goldwater supporter is a near lock to win the next Presidential nomination.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »

Not the one where a Goldwater supporter is a near lock to win the next Presidential nomination.

She betrayed Goldwater for the Dems.

Obama passed Obama care, he did a bunch of stuff, he got reelected, okay, then what? I mean, the guy was reelected. Get over it. DOn;t shut down this government because of something The People voted to KEEP in office. Christ almighty. ing tea party is ruining the party I once held so near and dear to my heart and forcing me to switch sides and become a Democrat.

What will this solve? We aren;t getting RID of Obama care. If we wanted to do that, we would have elected Romney, but we didn't, so here it is. Hang it around our necks and OWN it like a hooker owns her reputation.

The People don't want it by massive numbers. The Tea Party is not ruining the GOP. Reid and the Dems shut down the government because they don't want to compromise.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 12:28:12 AM »

The People don't want it by massive numbers. The Tea Party is not ruining the GOP. Reid and the Dems shut down the government because they don't want to compromise.

It was Burke who said a elected officials owe their constituents not just their industry but their judgment, and that that judgment was not to be sacrificed to public opinion.

If "The People" didn't want Obamacare, why did they reelect its namesake? Why did more Americans vote for a Democratic House candidate than for a Republican one? If "The People" don't want Obamacare, I'm sure they will vote in a Republican president and a Republican majority in the Senate in 2016 and then Obamacare can be killed in one fell swoop. And if that is the case and Democrats threaten to shut down the government to stop that, I would say they were being just as crazy.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 01:59:00 AM »

Yeah, she became a hardcore liberal who was union busting on the Walmart Board of Directors, and was married to a President who loved deregulating, and she didn't regret her vote for the Iraq war.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 06:43:53 AM »

Well this thread is edifying.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 01:51:56 PM »

Well, speaking as a liberal disgusted with the GOP, this is kind of to be expected.  People are angry and pretty polarized at the moment.

Personally, those Republicans that have made the gesture of changing their avatar in protest to the shenanigans that have taken place recently with the shutdown definitely is appreciated, for what that's worth. 
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 02:43:59 PM »

Ahem. Hi, how are you.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2013, 03:57:52 PM »

This is seriously what were discussing?

Well of course there's rational republicans out there, juts like there are rational democrats. But, I don't know how you guys view the words "rational or empathetic" so maybe not in lefty views.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 02:08:21 PM »

It was Burke who said a elected officials owe their constituents not just their industry but their judgment, and that that judgment was not to be sacrificed to public opinion.

If "The People" didn't want Obamacare, why did they reelect its namesake? Why did more Americans vote for a Democratic House candidate than for a Republican one? If "The People" don't want Obamacare, I'm sure they will vote in a Republican president and a Republican majority in the Senate in 2016 and then Obamacare can be killed in one fell swoop. And if that is the case and Democrats threaten to shut down the government to stop that, I would say they were being just as crazy.

People vote on more than just a single issue, especially in Presidential elections.
How do you explain 2010?
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2013, 02:25:37 PM »

opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2013, 02:46:08 PM »

...Hang it around our necks and OWN it like a hooker owns her reputation.

Funnily enough I just watched a movie last night about a greek boy who takes up with a prostitute and almost marries her, but his prudish father and the misogynistic community ends up wrecking things:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Naked_in_the_World

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2013, 02:54:39 PM »

TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2013, 04:18:50 PM »

...please, for the love of all that is good and holy, stand up to the people who have taken over your party.

A Democrat can't convince these people. There's no hope for that...

I've been trying to convince the Tea Party types for years that these types of stunts won't work and that we'd be better off by actually trying to pragmatically solve problems instead of creating them. Sometimes those conversations are fruitful if only for a day. (Of course the forum Democrats likely consider me neither a rational nor empathetic Republican but whatever...).

But the problem I face is that there is no constituency for pragmatic conservatism in the Republican Party these days. It's fragmented into people who are either in the Cruz crowd or folks who want two liberal parties instead of one. The "moderate" crowd more or less wants to sell out every position, particularly on social issues, adding yet more reason for the Tea Party types not to trust them. There's hardly anyone in government right now I can point to as an example of who we should be supporting. For good measure, we can throw in the Paulites as a third group, though I can't imagine how they help to conversation any.

There is something of a cultural fissure at play here I am on the wrong side of that also come into play here. There is something in American Evangelical culture that likes showy, big-splash sorts of play that Cruz can really appeal to. The problem is that what must be sold is far less glamorous, that we're in for taking some lumps for years to come before anything can get better, but that doesn't mean we can just blindly throw a fit and refuse to act for the good of our country and government. America deserves a better conservative movement than the one its getting.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2013, 04:34:00 PM »

Since when? I thought your avatar change was ironic...?
Rooney
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »

I am quite sure now that the Republican Party will change as this group of powerful, influential men are uniting in shaming it. The shutdown is as good as over.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2013, 06:44:32 PM »

Why are you a Republican?
hopper
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2013, 07:10:06 PM »
« Edited: October 05, 2013, 07:13:14 PM by hopper »

Well no people want ObamaCare reworked and to make changes to the bill wether it is eliminating some things or putting some new things in. They don't want ObamaCare totally repealed unless you are a Tea Party person for the most part. People are working less hours because of ObamaCare. I mean a 29 hour work week is not enough for people. They are changes that have to be made to the bill.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies