How many children do you want to have?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:50:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  How many children do you want to have?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: How many children do you want to have?
6+
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: How many children do you want to have?  (Read 3312 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 05, 2013, 06:43:50 PM »

None would be preferred, but maybe one adopted. Folks who want three or more tend to frustrate me.
Why?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #51 on: October 05, 2013, 10:46:32 PM »

Probably 2. 3 if financial circumstances permit. Definitely more than 1 at any rate.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
« Edited: October 06, 2013, 12:01:02 PM by Redalgo »

None would be preferred, but maybe one adopted. Folks who want three or more tend to frustrate me.
Why?

There are a lot of kids out there who need adopting (i.e. bearing several offspring is very selfish), having fewer children allows parents to focus more resources on a smaller number of people - improving kids' prospects for healthful development and success in life, and having a small number of children is responsible family planning from a perspective of economic sustainability. I'd also prefer the States allow for a lot more immigration without incurring severe problems with urban planning and infrastructure.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2013, 01:01:19 PM »

Exactly 2.4.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2013, 01:03:56 PM »

Is the magic 2.5 number down to 2.4 or is there another point I'm missing (as usual).  Smiley
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2013, 01:04:05 PM »

Why?

There are a lot of kids out there who need adopting (i.e. bearing several offspring is very selfish), having fewer children allows parents to focus more resources on a smaller number of people - improving kids' prospects for healthful development and success in life, and having a small number of children is responsible family planning from a perspective of economic sustainability. I'd also prefer the States allow for a lot more immigration without incurring severe problems with urban planning and infrastructure.

I see it very differently.  People who bear several offspring and don't adopt aren't being any more selfish than anyone else that doesn't adopt, and aren't any less likely to adopt from what I've seen. Wanting to have children usually isn't a selfish act, especially these days when it's less common for people to rely on their children for economic security in old age.  It may be Social Security has even contributed to the demographic trends toward below replacement birth rates, which is itself unsustainable for Social Security.  There isn't going to be an explosion of population growth if a few families decide to have more children. Some will have less, some will have more - I don't think the first formulation of the categorical imperative is operative here. As far as growing up in a large family, siblings can in many cases be a good experience for children and give them a greater network of family support.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #56 on: October 06, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »

My ex-wife had a daughter from her previous marriage, who became my step-daughter and who I still think of as my own.  Being a step-dad was a wonderful experience for me.  But no more kids after that.  I'm in my 40's, and my approach to the rest of my life will probably be mostly, if pathetically, selfish.  One was enough.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #57 on: October 06, 2013, 05:48:44 PM »

I didn't think that sitcom was your sort of thing Al.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2013, 11:07:55 PM »

Had 2, got snipped, end of story.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies