SENATE BILL: Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:30:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Comprehensive Drug Reform Act of 2013 (Law'd)  (Read 14177 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: November 02, 2013, 05:19:57 AM »

I would assume you just remove the criminal penalties, no?

TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #151 on: November 02, 2013, 09:57:34 AM »

Proposing an amendment:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #152 on: November 04, 2013, 09:49:35 AM »

I'm fine with this as long as we tax the hell out of these drugs. We need our tax revenues!
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #153 on: November 04, 2013, 01:49:50 PM »

I am fine with the changes.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #154 on: November 04, 2013, 02:29:45 PM »

I'm fine with this as long as we tax the hell out of these drugs. We need our tax revenues!

Do we? We're running a rather significant surplus.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #155 on: November 04, 2013, 03:53:17 PM »

Can we get to a final vote on this, again?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #156 on: November 04, 2013, 05:04:38 PM »

Well, I assume our intention here is to make them legal, safe, and regulated. The tax would simply exist to discourage people from actually using these drugs, much like we tax alcohol and tobacco. I don't think any of us want to encourage the use of hard drugs. Tongue

Plus, if our surplus gets too big, we can give the money back in many different ways. Don't you worry, my friend, we will figure out some way to use this money.. Wink
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #157 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:12 PM »

Sorry.

The final vote is now open!
Senator Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #158 on: November 04, 2013, 05:57:24 PM »

Aye
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #159 on: November 04, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #160 on: November 04, 2013, 06:26:06 PM »

Aye, though I would encourage Nix's suggestions to be realtered.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #161 on: November 04, 2013, 07:17:06 PM »

Do I need to propose an amendment after this vote, or? Mr. PPT?
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #162 on: November 04, 2013, 09:44:33 PM »

Aye
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #163 on: November 04, 2013, 09:50:28 PM »

Well, I assume our intention here is to make them legal, safe, and regulated. The tax would simply exist to discourage people from actually using these drugs, much like we tax alcohol and tobacco. I don't think any of us want to encourage the use of hard drugs. Tongue

Plus, if our surplus gets too big, we can give the money back in many different ways. Don't you worry, my friend, we will figure out some way to use this money.. Wink

I don't disagree with any of that, for the record. I just want to be clear that this isn't a tax for revenue purposes; the revenue is a nice side effect of a necessary economic burden.

For the record, taxation on drugs, to me, is a very imperfect solution. It functions as a regressive tax, since drug consumption is more associated with lower incomes. I'd be ready to jump at a better solution, but I fear there isn't one.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #164 on: November 04, 2013, 10:48:32 PM »

Proposing this fix to the wording:

Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #165 on: November 05, 2013, 02:09:37 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #166 on: November 05, 2013, 09:57:36 AM »

Sponsor Feedback: Origination
Status: Senators, you have 24 hours to object to the adoption of this amendment.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #167 on: November 05, 2013, 10:52:33 AM »

I don't disagree with any of that, for the record. I just want to be clear that this isn't a tax for revenue purposes; the revenue is a nice side effect of a necessary economic burden.

For the record, taxation on drugs, to me, is a very imperfect solution. It functions as a regressive tax, since drug consumption is more associated with lower incomes. I'd be ready to jump at a better solution, but I fear there isn't one.

Of course this is for revenue purposes. Cost saving too. Look, we legalize these drugs and the expense we go through to enforce their ban goes away AND we get to tax them on that. It's a whole new world and a whole new revenue stream!

A tax is really the only way to go. We do the same thing with alcohol and tobacco. If we're running a deficit then this is perfect, the tax revenue will surely flow in from the heroin and cocaine users getting their fix! Cheesy
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #168 on: November 05, 2013, 04:12:26 PM »

Of course this is for revenue purposes. Cost saving too. Look, we legalize these drugs and the expense we go through to enforce their ban goes away AND we get to tax them on that. It's a whole new world and a whole new revenue stream!

A tax is really the only way to go. We do the same thing with alcohol and tobacco. If we're running a deficit then this is perfect, the tax revenue will surely flow in from the heroin and cocaine users getting their fix! Cheesy

I mean, I get that. I just worry that the burden falls primarily on the little guy.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2013, 04:25:10 PM »

Perhaps we could turn the tax on drugs into a progressive one? Buy more, pay more?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2013, 06:04:51 PM »

Perhaps we could turn the tax on drugs into a progressive one? Buy more, pay more?

How would that be accomplished given the sin taxes are generally sales taxes? I guess we could charge a certain percentage based on how much an individual buys, but they could get around it easily. I am open to making it progress if anyone else has any ideas.
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #171 on: November 05, 2013, 07:18:18 PM »

How would that be accomplished given the sin taxes are generally sales taxes? I guess we could charge a certain percentage based on how much an individual buys, but they could get around it easily. I am open to making it progress if anyone else has any ideas.

The issue is that it creates a massive infrastructure cost at the point of sale, as you would have to determine the tax rate when the items are bought, as opposed to having the flat-rate markup built into the price of the item. I'm not sure having POS vendors bear the infrastructure costs is the right way to go.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #172 on: November 05, 2013, 09:31:17 PM »

Right, which is why I doubt a progressive tax is even feasible or realistic over a flat tax at markup. I understand it's a regressive tax, but unfortunately economics is not perfect. It's a better alterative to no tax at all, right?

A crazy day has come when I am the one advocating a tax and the Labor Senators are resisting it! Wink
President Tyrion
TyrionTheImperialist

« Reply #173 on: November 06, 2013, 01:14:03 AM »

Right, which is why I doubt a progressive tax is even feasible or realistic over a flat tax at markup. I understand it's a regressive tax, but unfortunately economics is not perfect. It's a better alterative to no tax at all, right?

A crazy day has come when I am the one advocating a tax and the Labor Senators are resisting it! Wink

Haha, yes, and I stand with you. This is the least of all evils, but I'm glad we can at least recognize its shortcomings.
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #174 on: November 06, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »

So what's your pleasure, guys? Are we going to alter the tax rate or leave it as is?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies