Politico/Harper/PPP poll: Cruz is unpopular in Virginia
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:55:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Politico/Harper/PPP poll: Cruz is unpopular in Virginia
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Politico/Harper/PPP poll: Cruz is unpopular in Virginia  (Read 1605 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 08, 2013, 01:05:50 AM »

This is primarily a Virginia gubernatorial poll, but they also threw in some questions about the shutdown and Ted Cruz:

http://images.politico.com/global/2013/10/07/virginiapoll100713.html

Opinion of Cruz among all voters:
favorable 26%
unfavorable 45%

Opinion of Cruz among Republicans only:
favorable 50%
unfavorable 18%

Can't find PPP's last national poll, but Quinnipiac did a national poll just two weeks ago, and Cruz had just 41% name recognition at that time.  Now it's 71% in Virginia.  Assuming Virginians are similarly knowledgeable about politics to other Americans, that's a big spike in name recognition.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 04:36:36 AM »

Can't find PPP's last national poll, but Quinnipiac did a national poll just two weeks ago, and Cruz had just 41% name recognition at that time.  Now it's 71% in Virginia.  Assuming Virginians are similarly knowledgeable about politics to other Americans, that's a big spike in name recognition.

I assume that's because many Virginians work in DC, so it's absolutely natural to be more familiar with Cruz and other Washington players.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 04:48:49 AM »

I assume that's because many Virginians work in DC, so it's absolutely natural to be more familiar with Cruz and other Washington players.

Oh, I'm not denying that there's likely to be some political knowledge gap between Virginians and other Americans, but this is a sufficiently large gap that I'm presuming that there's been a real increase in Cruz's name ID, owing to the shutdown coverage from the past two weeks.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:34:19 AM »

Yes but he only has to worry about Texas. It's doubtful he'll be running for any higher offices. He'll be best sticking to Texas and their needs as he's done so far.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 12:37:28 AM »

Yes but he only has to worry about Texas. It's doubtful he'll be running for any higher offices. He'll be best sticking to Texas and their needs as he's done so far.
Really
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 01:14:53 PM »

Really

What do you mean? Do you think he'll run in 2016? I don't.
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 01:50:10 PM »

Really

You also thought Romney was going to win Minnesota. You don't have the best track record.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 01:52:18 PM »

Really

You also thought Romney was going to win Minnesota. You don't have the best track record.

Instead of attacking me, why don't you tell us if you think Cruz will run or not and why?
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 01:57:32 PM »

Really

Instead of attacking me, why don't you tell us if you think Cruz will run or not and why?

I don't have a conviction on whether or not he'll run; right now I'd give it about a 60% chance but that could fade. What's really important is that I don't think Chris Christie will be the nominee.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 02:00:51 PM »

Really

I don't have a conviction on whether or not he'll run; right now I'd give it about a 60% chance but that could fade. What's really important is that I don't think Chris Christie will be the nominee.

So do I but the topic is that Cruz is unpopular in Virginia as if he's going to be the nominee or something. I can't see him raising enough money to make it past Iowa and therefore there's no point in this thread other than to beat up on someone unpopular with the left. Don't you agree?
PolitiJunkie

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »

Really

So do I but the topic is that Cruz is unpopular in Virginia as if he's going to be the nominee or something. I can't see him raising enough money to make it past Iowa and therefore there's no point in this thread other than to beat up on someone unpopular with the left. Don't you agree?

Re-read my post dude.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 02:11:54 PM »

Really

My mistake. Don't you think that's the purpose of this thread? To beat a dead horse about someone who is unpopular with the left?
roadkill
Rookie
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 03:04:22 PM »

I believe the original point of the poll was that Cruz's (and the Tea Party) increased unpopularity due to the shutdown was hurting other Republicans, such as Ken Cuccinelli who seems to have gone for a slight chance of winning to no chance of winning since the shutdown.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »

I believe the original point of the poll was that Cruz's (and the Tea Party) increased unpopularity due to the shutdown was hurting other Republicans, such as Ken Cuccinelli who seems to have gone for a slight chance of winning to no chance of winning since the shutdown.

Virginia needs to be looked at for what it is and that's a state surrounding D.C. Therefore, the state's elections are more influenced by federal politics than other states. While Cuccinelli is being effected by the shutdown, most Republicans in other states won't. For example, Christ Christie cand easily criticize both parties evenly and say that no shutdowns occurred in New Jersey while he was governor.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-10-06/local/42771567_1_ken-cuccinelli-ted-cruz-federal-shutdown
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2013, 03:09:20 AM »

How does it surprise you that the Washington Post is trying to highlight anything they can in order to convince the uninformed in Virginia that Ken Cuccinelli who happens to be running for the governor of their state is similar to Ted Cruz who has nothing to do with the upcoming election? It's obvious they want Cuccinelli to suffer for this regardless of how supportive he is of the government shut down. If Cuccinelli is stupid enough to come out and say he supports the shut down then he deserves to lose anyhow. Don' you see they're trying to tie them together in any way they can?
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2013, 08:36:39 AM »

This is primarily a Virginia gubernatorial poll, but they also threw in some questions about the shutdown and Ted Cruz:

favorable 26%
unfavorable 45%

favorable 50%
unfavorable 18%

I suspect that Virginia voters are more savvy about American politics than Americans as a whole. Government has a huge influence upon economics (employment and the military)  in Virginia; the state of Washington, Jefferson, and Wilson has an indelible heritage. This is the first state to elect a black man as Governor -- and not the most obvious candidate.  The Federal government is big news in northern Virginia in a way imitated in few other parts of the country (Maryland is one of the other exceptions).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
« Edited: October 12, 2013, 11:17:24 AM by pbrower2a »

favorable 26%
unfavorable 45%

favorable 50%
unfavorable 18%

Can't find PPP's last national poll, but Quinnipiac did a national poll just two weeks ago, and Cruz had just 41% name recognition at that time.  Now it's 71% in Virginia.  Assuming Virginians are similarly knowledgeable about politics to other Americans, that's a big spike in name recognition.

I suspect that Virginia voters are more savvy about American politics than Americans as a whole. Government has a huge influence upon economics (employment and the military)  in Virginia; the state of Washington, Jefferson, and Wilson has an indelible heritage. This is the first State to elect a black man as Governor -- and not the most obvious state to do so.  The Federal government is big news in northern Virginia in a way imitated in few other parts of the country (Maryland is one of the other exceptions).
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »

More significant is that much of Virginia is in the media zone of Washington DC, and much of the 'local' news is national politics.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 11:58:00 AM »

At least in NOVA, virtually everyone knows someone who's been furloughed or who's being forced to work unpaid, and many of these are people in their 30s and 40s with kids and mortgages. Even the Republicans I know (who admittedly, are more defense types & fiscal conservatives rather than SoCons or Tea Partiers) are upset with the GOP over the shutdown.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies