Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:49:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0  (Read 328156 times)
palandio

« on: April 29, 2014, 12:39:45 PM »

The thread is called Austrian Election & Politics, not Science Fiction. ;-)
palandio

« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 05:04:56 PM »

Context: The reason why the question was phrased exactly this way is probably because former German president Christian Wulff once said: "Der Islam gehört zu Deutschland." This sentence has met with a strong reception, both positive and negative, and is still known to many politically interested people in the German-speaking countries.

Apart from that it still sounds somehow odd, at least to me. I'm as well of the opinion that the sentence "The muslims in Austria are an integral part of Austria" might be more popular.
palandio

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:58:11 PM »

Immagine you were a young Eritrean or Somali.

You have paid 5.000€ to get to Europe.
You survived the Sahara.
You escaped Bedouin slave-hunters.
You were trapped into a Turkish mini-bus together with 40 others for two days.
You crossed the Aegaean Sea in an over-crowded rubber boat and saw people drowning.
You walked on the railroad tracks through Macedonia and you were robbed by other refugees.

And now you are on the Serbian-Hungarian border. There is a fence. You won't succeed in getting over the border the first time you try it. You try again. And again. Then you succeed.

In Hungary you have to hide from far-right militias. You want to go to the West, Austria, Germany, Sweden, France, UK, something like that.
You try to cross the border. The first time you get caught and sent back to Hungary. You try again. And again. The worst case is getting caught and sent back, you have nothing to lose. Finally you succeed.

I don't wonder why the FPÖ has hit 30%. It is because people like simple answers. Shutting down the border will at most halt the wave for some weeks and maybe scare off a few economic refugees from Kosovo, Serbia and Albania.
palandio

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2015, 03:29:56 AM »

The polls close at 4pm, which is when the 1st projection by SORA is released for the ORF.
Seems really early. People have little time to vote then, if they have something to do in the morning (church/sports)...
The usual procedure is to go to church in the morning and then to vote directly after that. In many cases the town hall or elementary school where you vote is directly next to the church.
In fact parties like the ÖVP (CDU/CSU in Germany) get a vote share before noon that is clearly higher than the vote share they will get in the afternoon. Exit-polls (which often cannot include the last one or two ours) are adjusted for that effect.
palandio

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 11:10:44 AM »

SPÖ strongholds are:
Ampflwang im Hausruckwald (just Ampflwang already sounds very rural)
Sankt Georgen an der Gusen
Reichraming
Klaus an der Pyhrnbahn (lol)

Where does the FPÖ tradition in the Innviertel come from? Are its origins in the Landbund, similarly to the Bavarian Peasants' League that had its strongholds on the other side of the Inn? Agrarian interests and soft anti-clericalism (as opposed to the Christian Socials)?

And yes, of course the Innviertel was Bavarian until 1779.
palandio

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2015, 03:01:13 PM »

SPÖ strongholds are:
Ampflwang im Hausruckwald (just Ampflwang already sounds very rural)
Sankt Georgen an der Gusen
Reichraming
Klaus an der Pyhrnbahn (lol)

Where does the FPÖ tradition in the Innviertel come from? Are its origins in the Landbund, similarly to the Bavarian Peasants' League that had its strongholds on the other side of the Inn? Agrarian interests and soft anti-clericalism (as opposed to the Christian Socials)?

And yes, of course the Innviertel was Bavarian until 1779.

According to the ORF, the reason is this (I assume you can read German ?):

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Thank you for the explanation. For those who cannot read German, the quote (by political scientist Sickinger) says something like this:
The Innviertel is a peripheral region of Austria that came to Austria only in 1779 during/after the Bavarian War of Succession. At this time the central statehood of Austria was put over the region from above. That boosted pan-German nationalism in the region until today. Additionally the Innviertel is still not really connected to the central area of Upper Austria by public transport.

(I think that Sickinger's argument is valid, but imho the non-clerical rural interests issue plays a role as well.)
palandio

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »

* Pflichtschule = no more than mandatory education (9 years)
* Lehre = apprentices (usually young people between 16 and 25)
* BMS = higher vocational schools, with an emphasis on work-related skills
* Matura = high school with a completed diploma so you can study at universities
* Universität = voters with a university degree

That explanation seems flawed to me.
Lehre in my opinion includes all people that have gone successfully through a Lehre, that is a ca. three-years vocational training.
I would expect Lehre to be the largest group, particularly among the older generations.

(Bad Goisern gave me a big laugh!)
palandio

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 10:08:06 AM »

This is not yet a projection based on real counts, but only an exit poll. First projections based on real counts will arrive in ca. one hour.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies