Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 02:47:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0  (Read 328714 times)
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« on: September 30, 2015, 07:23:59 AM »

But its clearly only cheap way to get additional voters, not real approach and ideas of the party. I am not the fan of FPO: but we must separate political calculations during eletoral campaign from real party views.
I am not convinced. I am hardly a "hungry leftist", as you described other people on this forum: I tend to be supportive of various new-right parties across Europe, such as the Danish People's Party and the Swiss People's Party. I totally agree with many well-formulated concerns about the future of a country and preserving the European/Judeo-Christian/whatever you call the identity of a country, but I cannot agree with or support outright racism and incitement to hatred to people. Criticizing Islam is something different than actively campaigning against people, as the FPÖ did ("Heimatliebe statt Marokkaner-Diebe"), and winks toward a nazi past are especially a no-go for me - the anti-Semitism in the FPÖ is also a big problem for me (even though The Greens, for instance, are obviously even worse for Jews, but I'd never support any Green party whereas I could support new-right parties). An FPÖ representative officially hung out with a Jobbik representative on some far-right conference. That's not a "political calculation during an electoral campaign."

Racism against Muslims and other middle-eastern and sometimes eastern-European immigrants is fine, but Jews, noooooo. Whenever they say something racist against a Jew is fine, but against other immigrants, it's alright.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2015, 09:44:46 PM »

But its clearly only cheap way to get additional voters, not real approach and ideas of the party. I am not the fan of FPO: but we must separate political calculations during eletoral campaign from real party views.
I am not convinced. I am hardly a "hungry leftist", as you described other people on this forum: I tend to be supportive of various new-right parties across Europe, such as the Danish People's Party and the Swiss People's Party. I totally agree with many well-formulated concerns about the future of a country and preserving the European/Judeo-Christian/whatever you call the identity of a country, but I cannot agree with or support outright racism and incitement to hatred to people. Criticizing Islam is something different than actively campaigning against people, as the FPÖ did ("Heimatliebe statt Marokkaner-Diebe"), and winks toward a nazi past are especially a no-go for me - the anti-Semitism in the FPÖ is also a big problem for me (even though The Greens, for instance, are obviously even worse for Jews, but I'd never support any Green party whereas I could support new-right parties). An FPÖ representative officially hung out with a Jobbik representative on some far-right conference. That's not a "political calculation during an electoral campaign."

Racism against Muslims and other middle-eastern and sometimes eastern-European immigrants is fine, but Jews, noooooo. Whenever they say something racist against a Jew is fine, but against other immigrants, it's alright.
Huh
Firstly, I don't think you're saying what you intended to say. Secondly, how do you derive this conclusion from my post? I even said that I consider the slogan "Heimatliebe statt Marokkaner-Diebe" distasteful and inappropriate. Thirdly, Jews are Middle Eastern too... Fourthly, I'll admit that I care about discrimination against Jews more than about discrimination against other people (which does not mean I don't care about that) - just as the left (and most other minority groups) care more about discrimination against other people than against Jews. Fifthly, discrimination against Eastern Europeans solely stems from "they took our jobs!1!1!!" sentiments, which are by definition stupid.

From what you said, It seems you'd be fine with voting for the FPO, a racist party against Muslims and a partly- xenophobic party, if they're a Jew and aren't specifically racist towards Jews, which means you'd be open to voting for a racist party towards Muslims.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2015, 12:44:54 AM »

It seems you'd be fine with voting for the FPO, a racist party against Muslims and a partly- xenophobic party, if they're a Jew and aren't specifically racist towards Jews, which means you'd be open to voting for a racist party towards Muslims.
Well, if my rebuttal didn't convince you, then so be it. I don't really care if some random Australian seeks to mischaracterize my views Wink

Nah, you did. Smiley

I probably analyzed what you wrote wrong.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies