Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:39:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austrian Elections & Politics - Version 1.0  (Read 328134 times)
Lotuslander
Boo Boo
Rookie
Canada
« on: April 26, 2015, 02:06:41 AM »

2. Only in Austria can you find a social-democrat (but can the SPÖ still be described as even this ?) trolling the conservative unionized teaching profession for not working enough...

OK. I find this fascinating. In lowly-unionized North America, generally speaking, teacher unions are basically centre-left.

So how is it, with highly unionized Austria concurrently with an SPÖ tradition, are teacher unions there "conservative"? From my perspective, just does not make poli logical sense.

Look forward to any analytical response. Thanks.
Lotuslander
Boo Boo
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 02:58:21 AM »
« Edited: April 26, 2015, 03:07:15 AM by Lotuslander »

Thanks Tender and Senator. Fully grasp now and appreciate your comments. Always follow this interesting thread even though I don't post.

BTW, if I didn't know any better, you guys are English language profs first and foremost (esp. Tender). If not, then your English grammar is a helluva lot better than many folk here in North America. Wink
Lotuslander
Boo Boo
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2015, 02:30:36 AM »

* The "Young ÖVP" proposed a switch from PR to FPTP in the new party program. For this to pass, a 2/3 majority was needed from the delegates. The measure was rejected by 1 vote (66.58%) ...

Very interesting. Is this just the ÖVP proposing a shift from MMP to FPTP or a broader section of the Austrian electorate? And why would that be?

The reason why I ask is due to the fact that, here in Canada, the NDP and Greens are also proposing a reverse shift... from FPTP to MMP in order to make popular vote share match elected representatives.

BTW, the Canadian provinces of BC, Ontario, and PEI all have had relatively recent referendums on moving from FPTP to MMP (STV in BC`s case). All 3 referendums failed.
Lotuslander
Boo Boo
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 01:59:51 AM »

A new Heute/Unique Research poll confirms the FPÖ-surge in Vienna ahead of the state elections, with the SPÖ heading to a new low and the ÖVP to joke-status (below 10%)

From far and away... one would logically think that the FPÖ would be somewhat repugnant in a socially liberal city such as Vienna. OTOH, the more moderate ÖVP would seem to be a much more attractive option for centrist/centre-right voters.

Obviously the asylum influx into Austria has changed the political world there - "upside-down" might be an apropos expression.
Lotuslander
Boo Boo
Rookie
Canada
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2015, 09:53:45 AM »

Bavaria should annex it Putin-style.

Out of curiousity, does this region have more in common with Bavaria than Austria? In terms of dialect, customs and traditions?

BTW, Bavaria has always been more Austrian-like than German-like IMHO. I think. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies