German Elections & Politics
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:49:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  German Elections & Politics
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 176
Author Topic: German Elections & Politics  (Read 655410 times)
Kamala
Madagascar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2625 on: August 16, 2017, 11:44:23 AM »

The Matterhorn is in Switzerland/Italy? I don't know my mountains all that well but the one in the poster resembles it.

Correct !

The Alternative for Germany is picturing the Swiss Matterhorn in their campaign poster.

Wow, great honer!
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2626 on: August 16, 2017, 11:45:07 AM »

The Matterhorn is in Switzerland/Italy? I don't know my mountains all that well but the one in the poster resembles it.

Correct !

The Alternative for Germany is picturing the Swiss Matterhorn in their campaign poster.

That's what I meant. Kamala was just a little bit more accurate. Roll Eyes
In the end it doesn't even matterhorn...
palandio

« Reply #2627 on: August 16, 2017, 02:51:24 PM »

[...]
In the end it doesn't even matterhorn...
Touché!
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2628 on: August 16, 2017, 03:36:04 PM »

Sorry for the bad pun, but I had to make use of such a fit occasion. Tongue
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2629 on: August 18, 2017, 10:41:32 AM »

Meanwhile, Sultan Erdogan has advised his Turkish community in Germany against voting for the CDU, SPD or the Greens as these parties are supposed to be "foes of Turkey".
Instead, they should support parties that don't act hostile towards his sultanate - without telling which ones.

Oh, and Germany is supposed to have infringed European values, of course...
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2630 on: August 18, 2017, 11:31:41 AM »

Meanwhile, Sultan Erdogan has advised his Turkish community in Germany against voting for the CDU, SPD or the Greens as these parties are supposed to be "foes of Turkey".
Instead, they should support parties that don't act hostile towards his sultanate - without telling which ones.

Considering the remaining parties are FDP, Linke and AfD I wonder which of the 3 would Erdogan endorse
mgop
« Reply #2631 on: August 18, 2017, 12:14:15 PM »

another terrorist attack in merkelland, nothing to see here move along...
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2632 on: August 18, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »

Considering the remaining parties are FDP, Linke and AfD I wonder which of the 3 would Erdogan endorse

Erdogan's AKP has a spin-off in Germany called BIG (Bündnis für Innovation und Gerechtigkeit = alliance for innovation and justice).
I wonder why he didn't agitate against the Left, as they are staunchly pro-Kurd and pro-HDP, plus they strongly supported the Armenia genocide resolution.
palandio

« Reply #2633 on: August 18, 2017, 02:30:20 PM »

[...]
I wonder why he didn't agitate against the Left, as they are staunchly pro-Kurd and pro-HDP, plus they strongly supported the Armenia genocide resolution.
Maybe because AKP sympathizers wouldn't vote for the Left anyway.
A lot of German voters with a "Turkish" background actually vote for the Left, but these are mostly Kurds, Alevis and/or convinced left-wingers, and they wouldn't care about what Erdogan says.

If I would have to make a guess I would say that for many islamic conservative voters the default option has actually been the SPD because of being seen as representing working-class people and being relatively immigrant-friendly.
Some may have voted for the Greens because of them being perceived as the most immigrant-friendly major party.
Finally the CDU has become more receptive to immigrants in recent years, while still being perceived as the party for those who have worked their way up and as the family values party (compared to the other parties).
Some might also vote FDP, but not that many.
The Erdogan supporting AfD voter is most likely a complete fringe phenomenon.

So Erdogan told his supporters not to vote CDU, SPD or Greens because these have been relevant options for them, while Left, AfD and FDP haven't.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #2634 on: August 19, 2017, 07:45:20 AM »

So actually he told them not to vote. That's the only reading that makes at least a little bit of sense.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2635 on: August 19, 2017, 11:54:19 AM »

So actually he told them not to vote. That's the only reading that makes at least a little bit of sense.

Or they are to vote for the BIG, the German branch of the AKP.
Funnily and totally unexpectedly, the Turkish Community in Germany (a registered association) has repudiated the sultan's remarks and chided him for his instruction in the matter of democracy and told his members to go to the polls "now more than ever". (Notice, the vast majority of the Turkish Community in Germany are members of the SPD or SPD-leaning).
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2636 on: August 19, 2017, 12:23:41 PM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 07:23:05 PM by Great Again VI: The Bane of Bannon »

Funnily and totally unexpectedly, the Turkish Community in Germany (a registered association) has repudiated the sultan's remarks and chided him for his instruction in the matter of democracy and told his members to go to the polls "now more than ever". (Notice, the vast majority of the Turkish Community in Germany are members of the SPD or SPD-leaning).

That's not really unexpected... the Turkish Community in Germany has basically been an anti-AKP organization for several years now and has often criticized Erdogan in the past. For instance, they had also campaigned for the "No" camp in the run-up to this year's constitutional referendum on introducing a presidential system in Turkey.

The Turkish political party the Turkish Community in Germany is closest to ideologically is probably the CHP, so they're in essence old-school Kemalists.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2637 on: August 19, 2017, 03:03:23 PM »

The Kern-SPÖ is not the only one with bad campaign optics right now:

In Germany today, Schulz was giving a speech offering his condolences to the Barcelona terror victims, while some SPD-woman in the background was laughing, joking and fooling around (she later apologized for her crappy behaviour).
palandio

« Reply #2638 on: August 19, 2017, 03:25:07 PM »

Sometimes I get the feeling that relevance and irrelevance are totally unknown concepts to some people.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2639 on: August 19, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »

Sometimes I get the feeling that relevance and irrelevance are totally unknown concepts to some people.

Yeah, Schulz was talking about a relevant and horrible event and she acted like a total fool ...
Bumaye

« Reply #2640 on: August 19, 2017, 04:17:57 PM »

That will be very hard since the BIG is not running in a single state.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2641 on: August 19, 2017, 05:34:17 PM »

Yeah, Schulz was talking about a relevant and horrible event and she acted like a total fool ...

I suppose you're talking about Eva Högl. In her apology she explained that neither she nor the people immediately around her noticed (were able to hear) at first that Martin Schulz was even talking about the Barcelona attacks. Given that I had only heard good things about Eva Högl and the job she's doing in the Bundestag (saw her up-close at one time myself), I'm willing to cut her some slack. It was a gaffe. Political parties have to PR people to do damage control exactly for instances like that. It happened, she apologized. It's settled, as far as I'm concerned.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2642 on: August 19, 2017, 07:18:07 PM »

The British tabloid press has already picked up on Högl's anti-social behavior:

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/843345/Barcelona-terror-attack-Germany-MP-joke-no-respect-video

Her "apology" rather reads like a feeble excuse and a sweeping wipe against anyone who has criticized her for her disrespectful behavior. No sign of her seeing sense...
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2643 on: August 19, 2017, 07:30:50 PM »

The fact that pretty much only the tabloid press and right-wing bloggers have picked this story up at all, should serve as a pretty strong hint. Even more respectable right-wing news outlets like WELT or FAZ have chosen to completely ignore this thing.
Yeahsayyeah

Political Matrix
E: -9.25, S: -8.15

« Reply #2644 on: August 20, 2017, 03:13:38 AM »

That will be very hard since the BIG is not running in a single state.

There is another splinter party of conservative Turkish Germans with ties to the AKP, though, the Allianz Deutscher Demokraten (sic!), that is running in NRW. They got about 0.1 per cent in the last state election.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2645 on: August 21, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »

42 parties will be found on the ballots, but only nine are competing nationwide:

• SPD
  • DIE LINKE
  • GRÜNE
  • FDP
  • AfD
  • FREIE WÄHLER
  • Die PARTEI
  • MLPD (Marxist–Leninist Party of Germany)
  • BGE (party for unconditional basic income)

Furthermore, eight parties are only competing with direct candidates, i.e. without party lists:

• Bündnis C (Christians for Germany)
  • DIE EINHEIT (German spin-off of United Russia)
  • DIE VIOLETTEN (German Roseanne Barr Party)
  • FAMILIE (conservative family party)
  • DIE FRAUEN (German Taylor Swift Party)
  • MIETERPARTEI (party for renters)
  • Neue Liberale (founded by former, very moderate FDP politicians from Hamburg)
  • UNABHÄNGIGE (party for direct democracy and first-past-the-post voting)
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #2646 on: August 21, 2017, 10:45:54 AM »

42 parties will be found on the ballots, but only nine are competing nationwide:

• SPD
  • DIE LINKE
  • GRÜNE
  • FDP
  • AfD
  • FREIE WÄHLER
  • Die PARTEI
  • MLPD (Marxist–Leninist Party of Germany)
  • BGE (party for unconditional basic income)

Furthermore, eight parties are only competing with direct candidates, i.e. without party lists:

• Bündnis C (Christians for Germany)
  • DIE EINHEIT (German spin-off of United Russia)
  • DIE VIOLETTEN (German Roseanne Barr Party)
  • FAMILIE (conservative family party)
  • DIE FRAUEN (German Taylor Swift Party)
  • MIETERPARTEI (party for renters)
  • Neue Liberale (founded by former, very moderate FDP politicians from Hamburg)
  • UNABHÄNGIGE (party for direct democracy and first-past-the-post voting)

Any independents or minor parties with a chance (even if it's extremely remote) of winning one of the FPTP electorate seats based on local strength or something?
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2647 on: August 21, 2017, 11:46:49 AM »

Any independents or minor parties with a chance (even if it's extremely remote) of winning one of the FPTP electorate seats based on local strength or something?

No. In the last Bundestag election, Wolfgang Nešković, a former member of the SPD, the Greens and the Left and a former Federal Court judge, ran as an independent candidate in a Brandenburg district after he'd left The Left (hö hö), while retaining his Bundestag seat, which he'd won via direct mandat. Nešković received 8.1% of the vote, coming fourth, which is an outstanding result for an independent, but prior to the election his chance of winning had been estimated as quite high.
Anzeigenhauptmeister
Hades
Junior Chimp
Israel

« Reply #2648 on: August 22, 2017, 10:01:58 PM »

As no one has mentioned it yet: The Landtag of Lower Saxony has dissolved yesterday.
Only one CDU member, Annette Schwarz, refused to vote for the dissolution because she thought a constructive vote of no confidence - i.e. the parliament remains in force and elects a new minister-president - were the better solution as most voters had already prepared themselves for the original election date on January 14. Early elections are set for October 15.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2649 on: August 25, 2017, 03:23:17 AM »

The new polls for the ARD and ZDF show CDU/CSU and SPD dropping a bit, while the AfD gains slightly. But it's well within the MoE ...

CDU/CSU now at 39%, while the SPD is down to 22%. AfD is at 10%. FDP and Left at around 9%, Greens at 8%.
Pages: 1 ... 101 102 103 104 105 [106] 107 108 109 110 111 ... 176  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies