BRTD bait: NYT writes about Minneapolis and hipsters
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:05:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  BRTD bait: NYT writes about Minneapolis and hipsters
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BRTD bait: NYT writes about Minneapolis and hipsters  (Read 333 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 11, 2013, 03:12:30 AM »

This is nominally a story about the dating scene in Minneapolis, but try getting through it without thinking of BRTD and his demographic obsessions Tongue

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/06/fashion/the-dating-scene-hip-with-a-bit-of-minnesota-nice.html?h=BAQEqZlAG&s=1&pagewanted=all&_r=3&
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 03:14:52 AM »

Two sentences in and I'm already very confused, but not as confused as I'd like to be able to say I am.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:27:00 AM »

"As for Mr. Wayne, he had inch-wide plugs stretching his earlobes and a tattoo of a cartoon angel on one side of his neck and a cartoon devil on the other. He sported white-rimmed glasses and a trucker hat tagged with the word “ZAP.” As he set out in this night after “pre-gaming” with a handle of Jameson and a growler of beer at home, he threw a red kaffiyeh around his neck to complete his look."

I hope this guy gets hit by a truck full of bees.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:37:46 AM »

That's a dumb article and its full of bits where something that only applies to that person being interviewed and their immediate social circle is tried to be passed off as the rule in Minneapolis.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 12:21:02 PM »

"As for Mr. Wayne, he had inch-wide plugs stretching his earlobes and a tattoo of a cartoon angel on one side of his neck and a cartoon devil on the other. He sported white-rimmed glasses and a trucker hat tagged with the word “ZAP.” As he set out in this night after “pre-gaming” with a handle of Jameson and a growler of beer at home, he threw a red kaffiyeh around his neck to complete his look."

I hope this guy gets hit by a truck full of bees.

Tattoos and ear plugs can be a part of 'hipster'?  This 'hipster' must be totally unlike the 'hipster' I thought I was participating in in the very late eighties through the mid 1990s..  In those days we adopted bizarre pretenses of poverty like thrift store duds, converse tennish shoes and weird old auto mobiles but firmly eschewed things like tattoos or piercings as they're both gauche and in some sense 'permanent'. The whole idea of hipsterdome for us was to simply have fun pretending and not working, and then presumably rejoin wealth and privilege later on unscathed (alas it turned out that due to the destruction of America many of us weren't able to so rejoin)...
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 06:18:55 PM »

Tattoos and ear plugs are not accessories of the hipster per se, as the idea of being a hipster is so amorphous that really any style can be labeled accessible to the hipster. It's not about the white rimmed glasses, or a tattoo - it's about the eye rolling or amusement such a style conveys. Pure horseshit. Anyway, tattoos and ear plugs are not uncommon these days and he could've gotten them before he was considered a hipster. And most people who get them aren't considering permanence. They're considering their image here and now. I myself got a lip piercing and an eyebrow piercing back in my earlier adulthood because I liked the look. Now I don't use them and have extra holes on my face forever - but I've never met anyone older than me who cared.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies