Are you underemployed?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:52:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Are you underemployed?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Well?
Yes
No (Training matches job)
No (Unemployed/Not in labour force)
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Are you underemployed?  (Read 471 times)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2013, 02:06:55 PM »

I'm starting a job that matches my skills soon, so I'll say No.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 02:21:20 PM »

I'm overemployed! Cheesy
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 02:25:03 PM »
« Edited: October 10, 2013, 02:28:38 PM by Torie »

When you say "under" DC, you're implying that you are working at something "beneath" your skill set. Also it tends to further imply that it is about not working enough hours (opebo spun it like that, and of course opined he works way, way too hard at his man killing 20 hour a week pace Tongue), as opposed to being a pool man when you have a masters degree in political science (like my pool man).  Aren't lawyers just insufferable pains in the asses?  Who knew?

In any event, in my case, while in same areas what I do matches my skills, in one area, this door and window manufacturing business, my skill set is arguably inadequate (I have never really run a business before other than a law firm business, much less something to do with manufacturing in a foreign country where raw materials are imported in, and finished product exported out to the US, with paperwork from/involving both Mexico and the US flying around in nausiating volume, and where I have to contend with the very, very different laws of a foreign country from that of the US, and not speaking Spanish to boot (thank God for Google translator, which is actually quite good). So in that sense I am "over employed" using your meaning of the terminology, rather than "under employed." You didn't offer up that option now did you?  Tongue
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 02:27:17 PM »

When you say "under" DC, you're implying that you are working at something "beneath" your skill set. Also it tends to further imply that it is about not working enough hours, as opposed to being a pool man when you have a masters degree in political science (like my pool man).  Aren't lawyers just insufferable pains in the asses?  Who knew?

In any event, in my case, while in same areas what I do matches my skills, in one area, this door and window manufacturing business, my skill set is arguably inadequate (I have never really run a business before other than a law firm business, much less something to do with manufacturing in a foreign country where raw materials are imported in, and finished product exported out to the US, with paperwork from involving both Mexico and the US flying around in nausiating volume, and where I have to contend with the very, very different laws of a foreign country from that of the US, and not speaking Spanish to boot (thank God for Google translator, which is actually quite good). So in that sense I am "over employed" using your meaning of the terminology, rather than "under employed." You didn't offer up that option now did you?  Tongue

With all due, Torie, the use of cheap Mexican labor in the manufacturing process can be a challenge, procedurally/legally.  I'm sure you're handling those hurdles.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 03:30:20 PM »

Most of will be. I wish it was shown more last year during the election.

Why?  Underemployment is caused by neoliberalism.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 04:38:32 PM »

Most of will be. I wish it was shown more last year during the election.

Why?  Underemployment is caused by neoliberalism.

No it's a result of supply and demand in combined with taxes being too high. If the numbers were what they are with Bush in office, you'd have a fit.

Yeah demand and supply are set by the State, bbag.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 05:00:38 PM »

Maybe it's unwise to get into a discussion of macro-economics here? 
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 05:21:18 PM »

In terms of the way DC said it, yes. Any idiot can sit at a desk for three hours and do absolutely nothing.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2013, 06:29:40 PM »

As in enforced part-time? Yes.
tik 🪀✨
ComradeCarter
Junior Chimp
Australia
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2013, 10:30:05 PM »

Technically, no.. I think. I dropped out of college after one year and stayed in manufacturing environments. Now I'm in charge of an entire factory area which doesn't require much more than decent personal skills and organizing and technical problem solving. I suppose on paper I'm a decent fit even though I have only a little training towards my role.

In my own head, though, I think I am not living up to my potential. Without formal training that is likely just a conjecture. After all, I don't even know what I don't know.

I am above several people who have full four year degrees though. One guy is an accountant. Another has a degree in physics specializing in fluid dynamics. Yet they are wet behind the ears so they call me boss. It's a strange world. As Torie would say: Who knew?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies