The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game (Sign up and Rules Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:04:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game (Sign up and Rules Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game (Sign up and Rules Thread)  (Read 8572 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 10, 2013, 03:55:54 PM »

The Ides of March - The Roman Republic Game:

An introduction to the Ides of March, by Quintus Valerius Sapiens:

Good morning and welcome to the newest game that deals with the aftermath of the death of Gaius Julius Caesar, the greatest Roman of all time. I'm Quintus Valerius Sapiens, your Game Master, and I will be guiding you through the process of simulating the constant backstabbing, betrayal, lust and murder of the allmighty Roman Senate.

The year is 44 BC, and the day is March 21st. Julius Caesar is dead and buried, and Rome is in chaos. His funeral ended on a massive fire that destroyed several houses, and while there are no open foreign enemies, the ghost of civil war looms closer and closer. Several men and women are fighting for supreme control of the Senate and the Republic, and it's up to you to change the destiny of Rome.

Basic Rules:

1.- Context: This Game simulates Roman politics and civil wars by using military strategy, political campaigns to rise in the Cursus Honorum and managing family affairs to increase the glory of your House. At the beginning of each year an update will be released with a summary of past events, new office holders, new players and NPC's, the results of the events and some challenges for players. Players will then post their decisions, speeches and such. As the year progresses several crises will arise, some created by the players and some created by the Game Master, and players will choose how to react with them. Should a war begin, we will switch to a special mode for everybody who participates on that war.

2.- Role: Each player is in charge of his respective House, and his duty is to ensure his own success and the continued growth of familiar influence. You can run for several offices in Rome, following the Cursus Honorum (check wikipedia). Minor offices like Quaestorship and Aediles will be forgotten, and elections will be restricted to Praetors, Tribunes of the Plebs and Consuls. There are two kinds of special players: The Princeps Senatus (that is me), who is in charge of presiding over Senate meetings and has to keep neutrality, and the Faction Leaders, who can take that position as soon as two or more players join to create a faction (like Optimates, Populares, Caesarians, etc, etc, etc).

3.- Player Turns: I recommend researching your character to understand them better, but there's no need to be really detailed and there's no need to give speeches every five minutes as well. As long as you character is doing something or supporting someone, the game will keep flowing in the right direction. Players also have to inform the Game Master of their secret moves by PM, and I'm required not to reveal those moves.

4.- Running for Office: The more support from factions the better. But there are four factors that are decisive here: Family Name (a Fabius Maximus is likely to beat a plebeian), Money (will be assigned in levels that range from Very High to Very Low), Auctoritas (a number that will measure your relative influence) and Speech/Campaign Promises.

5.- Historical Accuracy: I’ll try to remain accurate at the beginning, but the purpose of this game is to take Rome and some of the major players at a young age and see what happens. Some events will still happen, so be prepared for assassinations, foreign interventions and rebellions.

6.- Players: I will release a list of potential players with their respective info should any of you be interested in taking them. You can create your own Roman as well, but they have to be younger than 42 (that means, they can be Praetors but not Consuls yet) to keep Historical Accuracy at the beginning. Cleopatra, Herod and the Parthian King are also available, as is any historical figure from this era.

List of starting offices in 44 BC:

Leading Senate Offices:
Princeps Senatus: Quintus Valerius Sapiens (LumineVonReuental)
Pontifex Maximus: To be appointed on April 1st.
Censores: No censors appointed since 50 BC. (A Senator has to ask the Senate to appoint new Censors)

Magistratures:
Senior Consul: Marcus Antonius. (IBDD)
Junior Consul: To be appointed on April 1st.

Special Titles:
First Man in Rome (Special title): Vacant.
Dictator (Special Title): Vacant.
Magister Equitum (Special title): Marcus Aemilius Lepidus (only until April 1st)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
« Edited: October 14, 2013, 07:02:06 PM by Midwest Governor Lumine »

The Roman Republic at the death of Caesar (44 BC).

List of Current Players:

Quintus Valerius Sapiens, Princeps Senatus.
-Player: LumineVonReuental.
-Other Offices: Praetor, Consul (historical departure, let's say he was Consul on 52 BC with Pompey).
-Auctoritas: High.
-Money: Normal.
-Family: None.

Marcus Antonius, Senior Consul.
-Player: IBDD.
-Other Offices: Tribune of the Plebs, Magister Equitum.
-Money: High (has Caesar's private funds).
-Family: Fulvia (Wife), Antonia (Daugther), Antyllus (Son), Gaius Antonius (Brother), Lucius Antonius (Brother).

Gaius Octavius Thurinus, Legate.
-Player: Dr. Cynic.
-Other Offices: None.
-Auctoritas: High (Caesar’s Heir).
-Money: Very Low.
-Family: Octavia (Sister), Lucius Marcius Philippus (Stepfather), Atia (Mother).

Secundus Garnerus, Pontiff.
-Player: Scott.
-Other offices: None.
-Family: None (lost during invasion)

Sextus Pompeius Magnus Pius, Renegade.
-Player: Afleitch.
-Other Offices: Military Legate.
-Auctoritas: Low.
-Money: High.
-Family: Marcus Aemilius Scaurus (half-brother), Scribonia (Wife), Lucius Scribonius Libo (father-in-law)

Recommended Players:

Marcus Tullius Cicero, Senator.
-Player:
-Other Offices: Aedile, Praetor, Consul.
-Auctoritas: Very High.
-Money: Low.
-Family: Terentia (Wife), Quintus Cicero (Brother), Marcus Cicero (Son).

Marcus Aemilius Lepidus, Magister Equitum.
-Player:
-Other Offices: Praetor, Consul.
-Auctoritas: High. (Gens Aemilia and all)
-Family: Junia (Wife), Lepidus Minor (Son), Lucius Aemilius Lepidus (Brother).

Marcus Junius Brutus, Praetor.
-Player:
-Other Offices:
-Auctoritas: Normal (His name is respected, but his standing has suffered after Caesar’s death)
-Money: Very High (Richest man in Rome, has an endless supply of money and property).
-Family: Servilia (Mother), Porcia (Wife).

Gaius Cassius Longinus, Praetor.
-Player:
-Other Offices: Quaestor.
-Auctoritas: Normal.
-Family: Junia (Wife), Cassius Minor (Son), Lucius Cassius (Brother).
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 06:44:53 AM »

Very well, we can begin when we have six players, or Cicero and Brutus.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »

I'll warn you all that I'm no where near as knowledgeable on the history of Rome as I would like to be, but I'll join to give you guys a player and hopefully learn by playing.  I will be relying on your guidance, though. Tongue

Name: Secundus Garnerus, Pontiff
Auctoritas: High
Money: Normal
Family: None (lost during invasion)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »

I sent a message to afleitch to see who is he going to play as (hopefully Cassius or Brutus!), and other potential players never answered my message, so this game should be starting later tonight or tomorrow. While we have few players, I believe that by starting the game in a strong way we might be able to generate more interest.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 06:41:33 PM »

While we have three of the main sides represented here (Garnerus, Octavian and Antonius), and Cicero will be an independent unpredictable NPC, I think still need another player to play as one of the Liberatores... Should we wait for a fifth player?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »

I'm in.

I'll be Sextus Pompey Wink
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 03:50:02 PM »

Awesome! Brutus and Cassius won't have much to do until 43 BC (and someone might join then), so this game begins today! I'll start to write the context and we will start with the first Senate meeting before the first turn.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies