Affirmative Action
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:54:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Affirmative Action
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Affirmative Action?
Support (D)

Support (R)

Support (I/O)

Oppose (D)

Oppose (R)

Oppose (I/O)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 44

Author Topic: Affirmative Action  (Read 5288 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2013, 08:51:45 AM »

In case you haven't noticed, white people have been discussing non-white people for centuries-but not vice versa. Now that non-Whites are participating in the poliical conversation, some  white people are complaining, and even claiming that whites are the real victims. You can understand why some of us find this absurd.
Sure, but to say white people can't discuss the subject is just as absurd.  Feel free to ignore the asshats or better yet, explain why they're wrong, but to handwave away any discussion on the subject because "lol white people" is wrong and, some of you better sit down for this, racist.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 10:55:36 AM »

No one is saying that white people can't discuss the subject. You're the one that brought up that idea. It's mostly just pointing out how laughably predictable it is that a forum comprised of well-off white teenagers would be so vociferously opposed to AA.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »

It's also worth pointing out (someone may have already, reading this thread makes me cringe too hard to bother looking through it) that the opposition to the evil racism of Affirmative Action and so on rests upon the highly dubious idea that Merit® is an objective and inherently non-discriminatory concept.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2013, 02:26:52 PM »

In case you haven't noticed, white people have been discussing non-white people for centuries-but not vice versa. Now that non-Whites are participating in the poliical conversation, some  white people are complaining, and even claiming that whites are the real victims. You can understand why some of us find this absurd.
Sure, but to say white people can't discuss the subject is just as absurd.  Feel free to ignore the asshats or better yet, explain why they're wrong, but to handwave away any discussion on the subject because "lol white people" is wrong and, some of you better sit down for this, racist.

Come on, dead0man.  Its precisely like Germans chiming in on the Israel issue.  I'm not saying they can't do it, I'm just saying it is incredibly poor taste.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2013, 11:22:22 PM »

Affirmative Action is a good policy for our educational system but not the workforce. What this country needs is continued annual funding in grants for Black and Hispanic colleges. The only problem I've ever had with Affirmative Action is when the University of Michigan accumulated more points towards admission for having black skin than for having a perfect SAT score. This began in 1997 when a female resident of Michigan, Barbara Grutter, was denied admission to the University of Michigan Law School with a 3.8 GPA and 161 LSAT score. The District Court found this unlawful, however the Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals along with the U.S. Supreme Court sided with University President Lee Bollinger. I believe the case went on until 2003. Here is a link for people to read about the process.

http://www.vpcomm.umich.edu/admissions/legal/grutter/

For the most part though Affirmative Action has strongly improved our society's racial relations.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies