Opinion of modern elite liberals in America (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 12:30:04 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of modern elite liberals in America (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of modern elite liberals in America
FF

HP

Mixed or Neutral

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Opinion of modern elite liberals in America  (Read 1119 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« on: October 12, 2013, 12:28:20 PM »

What a ridiculously-worded, (mis)leading question.  I don't even know where to begin.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:59:47 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2013, 04:04:36 PM by traininthedistance »

What a ridiculously-worded, (mis)leading question.  I don't even know where to begin.

Then please, begin.

I would if I knew where. Tongue

But, seriously, I'm not exactly sure what you mean by putting "elite" in there as if to say that all modern liberals are "elites" (hint: false, and if that's not what you mean then you have a false dichotomy right off the bat), or that modern liberals don't care about the top things (again, very false), or that only "elites" care about the bottom half (still false- whether you're looking at old liberals or modern non-elites), or really the silly level of pigeonholing going on here in general (different people care about different things, even within the umbrella of "liberals" of course).

As for the topic, I'm going to answer HP since I believe that elitism is inherently illiberal and should have no place in any left wing party.

Most of the ideas that the OP mistakenly credits the paternalistic neoliberal owner class with are Freedom Ideas though.

Obviously we have pretty different cultural backgrounds but I would certainly affirm that your second sentence is spot-on.  I will quibble with the first sentence insofar as I believe rather strongly that anti-intellectualism is a greater danger, both historically and today, than elitism. While the two are certainly not antonyms per se I find that a lot of particularly dangerous and potent anti-intellectual movements have hidden behind a mask of "populist" anti-elitism, and thus pretty badly tarnished its brand.  Obviously this is not a universal.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies