Opinion of Geert Wilders
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:22:30 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of Geert Wilders
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Dutch politician
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 38

Author Topic: Opinion of Geert Wilders  (Read 650 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2013, 03:41:29 PM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geert_Wilders
windjammer
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
France

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »

Horrible hair, and horrible politically.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 04:12:29 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 04:13:58 PM »

He isn't as bad as the Golden Dawn/BNP types.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 04:23:24 PM »

Mixed

Both him and Pim Fortuyn are really interesting figures because much of their harsh reaction to Islam is steeped in liberalism. It makes for an interesting conflict. What happens when tolerance and liberalism allow intolerant illiberal groups into the country?
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 04:32:19 PM »

Mixed

Both him and Pim Fortuyn are really interesting figures because much of their harsh reaction to Islam is steeped in liberalism. It makes for an interesting conflict. What happens when tolerance and liberalism allow intolerant illiberal groups into the country?

I think the US response is generally satisfactory: tolerate 'em unless they engage in violence or direct incitement to violence.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »

Mixed

How is Wilders's disdain for Islam steeped in liberalism?  Are you referring to his secularism?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2013, 04:35:18 PM »

Mega-HP (normal)
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 05:16:10 PM »

Mixed

How is Wilders's disdain for Islam steeped in liberalism?  Are you referring to his secularism?

Both Fortuyn and Wilders have cited Islam's intolerance of homosexuals and poor treatment of women as reasons for why immigration from Islamic countries should be restricted.

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix
E: 5.65, S: 1.45

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 05:19:42 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2013, 11:00:26 PM by Darth Plagueis »

FF. He is NOWERE near comperable to the BNP or Golden Dawn. For 1 he advocates gay rights and secularism wereas BNP and Dawn are ultra racist. He opposes Islam because of its BACKWARDS culture which ANYONE should.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 05:22:19 PM »

Wilders, who has refused to align himself with European far-right leaders such as Jean-Marie Le Pen and Jörg Haider, views himself as a right-wing liberal and has expressed concern of being "linked with the wrong rightist fascist groups."[18]

Wilders generally considers himself to be a right-wing liberal, with a specific mix of positions independent of the European political spectrum and particular to iconoclastic Dutch society. He has stated that "My allies are not Le Pen or Haider... We'll never join up with the fascists and Mussolinis of Italy. I'm very afraid of being linked with the wrong rightist fascist groups", saying instead his drive is issues such as freedom of expression and Dutch iconoclasm.[4] Wilders views British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher as his greatest political role model.[4] People's Party for Freedom and Democracy figure Frits Bolkestein also heavily influenced his beliefs.
RedSLC
SLValleyMan
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 05:30:49 PM »

He isn't as bad as the Golden Dawn/BNP types.

I wouldn't say he's quite up to their level, but he's still pretty bad. HP.

Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 05:34:55 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2013, 05:36:48 PM by Scott »

FF. He is NOWERE near comperable to the BNP or Golden Dawn. For 1 he advocates gay rights and secularism wereas BNP and Dawn are ultra racist. He opposes Islam because of its BACKWARDS culture which ANYONE should.

You know that old slogan the NRA likes to tout in the aftermath of every massacre, "Guns don't kill people; people kill people?"  I like to apply that logic to religion.  Religion has not harmed a single human being in the history of the world.  No.  Religious fundamentalists, on the other hand, have killed and oppressed an innumerable amount of people.  Islam did not attack the country on September 11th, nor did Muslims.  Those were the actions of a few religious extremists.  It takes a special kind of narrow-mindedness to believe otherwise.

So Wilders and company, if anything, should blame Muslims, but not just any Muslims.  There are plenty of Muslims, some of which I've met, who are absolutely nothing like Al Qaeda members and not only tolerate, but respect, other faiths.  But until you can prove to me that a religion - a creation of the human mind and product of the desire to better understand our existence - is capable of causing someone pain, I will not partake in the senseless bigotry of you or anyone else.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 03:23:05 PM »

Mixed

Both Fortuyn and Wilders have cited Islam's intolerance of homosexuals and poor treatment of women as reasons for why immigration from Islamic countries should be restricted.

... a quote which, in full, clearly demonstrates that Wilders is no "liberal".  Indeed, you only need to delete a couple of items to make it sound like something the BNP could easily come out with.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 05:52:47 PM »

Mixed

... a quote which, in full, clearly demonstrates that Wilders is no "liberal".  Indeed, you only need to delete a couple of items to make it sound like something the BNP could easily come out with.

He opposes Islamism because it suppots the genocide of non muslims and abuses women. gays, and freedom of speech. Just look at bengahzi, MUSLIMS attacked the embassy and BURNED american flags simply because PEOPLE EXERCISED THEIR RIGHT TO FREEDOM OF SPEECH!.

I oppose genocide, racism, and bigotry. Therefor I oppose Islam. You should to. I hate Islam, not muslims.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 06:04:53 PM »

FF.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 07:19:07 PM »

The only fitting words all contain but four letters.

Exactly. I tend to take the view that liberalism has been an incredibly diffuse ideology since 1914 and that it can be safely applied to a wide range of people who would agree with very little, but to describe someone like Wilders as a 'liberal' is to rob the word of any and all meaning. Perhaps even to rob it of the possibility of meaning.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 07:23:28 PM »

People who don't think he is a far right figure should come over here and talk to some of his supporters. Preferably where I am now which is a neighbourhood which at an ancedotal glance seems 75% Muslim.
Darth Plagueis
Kazakhstan

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 09:32:37 PM »

People who don't think he is a far right figure should come over here and talk to some of his supporters. Preferably where I am now which is a neighbourhood which at an ancedotal glance seems 75% Muslim.

Supporters=/=candidate.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2013, 10:36:49 AM »

Supporters=/=candidate.

Not when the candidate help propagate and makes socially respectable a vile discourse.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 10:38:55 AM »

Seems to me the only people who buy his fairly transparent 'liberal' disguise are already sympathetic to his cause anyway. HP.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies