From the New York Times: "Rich People Just Care Less"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 04:04:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  From the New York Times: "Rich People Just Care Less"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: From the New York Times: "Rich People Just Care Less"  (Read 788 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2013, 06:24:11 PM »
« edited: October 13, 2013, 02:23:03 PM by Progressive Realist »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

snip:

snip:

http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/05/rich-people-just-care-less/?_r=0

Modern social science: confirming the suspicions that many people have had about the powerful  for centuries. Tongue

Seriously, though...this is one of the major reasons why social and economic inequality are self-perpetuating. Higher-status individuals can convince middle-status (or even many lower-status) people that the problems with society are not caused by the top of the social pyramid, but by the bottom (see: the 1970s and 1980s in countries like the US and the UK).  

As inequality is increased by the resulting policies (cutting taxes and regulations for corporations and wealthy individuals, or cutting social assistance to disadvantaged groups, for example), the economic "winners" have a tendency to self-segregate away from the rest of society, while the lower-status people withdraw from the political process-which leads to political participation being more of an affluent middle-to-upper-class thing.

When policies that affect the poor and other lower-status groups are defined almost wholly by the concerns of society's elites...well, it's easy to see how inequality increases even more under those circumstances.

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 06:28:13 PM »

Hasn't it repeatedly been shown that the rich and powerful basically all have ASPD?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2013, 06:44:22 PM »

It does take discipline to not do that. I make a special effort to try to make all feel comfortable around me these days - no matter what their station in life. And I don't need anything from the rich and powerful anymore to boot. So just why should I give them special attention?
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2013, 07:32:58 PM »
« Edited: October 12, 2013, 07:45:13 PM by Indeed »

Isn't this way women will go home with a bastard and why "nice guys" are considered "desperate"?

The sanitary equivalent to say that "people that get their way all or most the time are crooks" is that "successful people negotiate from a position of strength because they are confident".

Not to justify the insane and  degenerate behavior of many at the top,  but being inappropriately impulsive and anxious are amongst the two worst things a  person can be. Whether its worse than being an insane degenerate that always gets what she wants is the question that has shut down the Government.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2013, 09:56:45 PM »

I think the better question is why do liberals have such a strange obsession with wealthy people?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2013, 10:49:17 PM »

I think the better question is why do liberals have such a strange obsession with wealthy people?
Cuz we gave you all the milk... and the butter you gave back to us wasn't nearly the value of milk we gave you.  So now we think we should have the milk and you can have the butter.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2013, 10:54:09 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2013, 06:51:13 PM by pbrower2a »

Modern social science: confirming the suspicions that many people have had about he powerful  for centuries. Tongue

Either they get away with it -- or the simplest way to command a hierarchical organization is to be a brutal boss. Such is the simplest way when neither democracy or economic competition exists.  

In authoritarian, hierarchical societies what passes as the middle class are largely enforcers and highly-skilled servants. In democratic societies they are more likely to be independent professionals and entrepreneurs. Entrepreneurs want customers, independent professionals want clients, and these people don't care that their customers and clients aren't aristocrats. Such people want to expand the economy so that more people can participate in the prosperity; aristocratic elites want all for themselves.  

Such may be more symptom than cause -- the causes being the disappearance of economic competition and the rise of a hierarchical order. The System increasingly serves the elites and impoverishes everyone else.

And of course the victims get blamed for the consequences of their victimization.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 02:43:06 PM »

Why do conservatives have such a strange obsession with poor people?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 02:53:53 PM »

Because they are the enemy, snake.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies