GOP congressman: Default will be like the American Revolution!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:58:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  GOP congressman: Default will be like the American Revolution!
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GOP congressman: Default will be like the American Revolution!  (Read 1797 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 12, 2013, 10:40:42 PM »

!!!

http://thehill.com/homenews/house/328185-house-gop-powwows-as-debt-limit-looms

“That’s something the Speaker will have to decide,” second-term Rep. Morgan Griffith (R-Va.) said. “But if the Senate trying to create a time crunch, that’s a time crunch that’s damaging to the American people.

Griffith suggested the House should reject an unfavorable agreement from the Senate, even if it resulted in a debt default that severely damaged the economy.
“We have to make a decision that’s right long-term for the United States, and what may be distasteful, unpleasant and not appropriate in the short run may be something that has to be done,” he said.

Griffith, a former majority leader of the Virginia House of Delegates, cited as an example the American Revolution.
“I will remind you that this group of renegades that decided that they wanted to break from the crown in 1776 did great damage to the economy of the colonies,” Griffith said. “They created the greatest nation and the best form of government, but they did damage to the economy in the short run.”
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2013, 10:56:07 PM »

Whenever I see a topic thread start with "GOP Congressman: Dumb Quote" I like to guess who it will be before I read it.

I guessed Steve Stockman or Tim Huelskamp
Link
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 02:17:52 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2013, 02:26:08 PM by Link »

Hhmmm... More garbled GOP messaging.  Even on this very forum it was explained to us that we weren't going to default.  Now we are going to default and it's going to be horrible... and that's okay.  Which Republican are we supposed to believe?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 02:21:21 PM »

The best form of government? Seriously? Have you looked at the news recently, Morgan? Tongue
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2013, 02:39:26 PM »

I'm pleased it wasn't my grotesque Republican representative.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2013, 04:33:41 PM »

Whenever I see a topic thread start with "GOP Congressman: Dumb Quote" I like to guess who it will be before I read it.

I guess Stockman as well.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2013, 04:40:18 PM »

I suppose that Rep. Griffith doesn't care that the tax revolt only succeeded because the cheese-eating surrender monkeys helped the traitors.  Problem is, I can't see any foreign intervention on the horizon to help the GOP pull this off, so this Third American Revolution is likely to be as successful as the Second of 1861-5.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »

These folks even get their early American History wrong. The American Revolution was in no way a rejection of government per se or even of big government. It was a rejection of a King who thought that he could negate what local, lawfully-elected colonial assemblies enacted and impose taxes without even asking for approval.

By the time the American Revolution got serious, all of the forces of the American Revolution (except for the foreign support) followed the lead of the proto-State governments or (in the case of the top leadership) the decisions of the Confederation. 

Now what does the American Revolution have to do with opposition to a President Obama?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2013, 05:32:16 PM »

The increased prevalence of secession rhetoric is terrifying.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2013, 05:33:11 PM »

I've never seen a group of people go so ALL IN on drinking the Kool-Aid like today's Republicans.  It's horrifying.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2013, 05:57:27 PM »

It is scary.  I feel especially bad for our liberal posters from the south.  If the "revolution" comes, you guys will probably wanna gtfo of the south.

[/all in]
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2013, 07:15:46 PM »

Actually they are reminding of the worst of the 70s New Left... Tales told by idiots, all sound and noise signifying nothing. Reminding us yet again that "I feel it therefore it's true" is the king of fallacies.

Of course the New Left were never as nihilistic.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »

Do you think, maybe, this sort of thing is an intentional aspect of the GOP's negotiation strategy

Obama: Look. All I'm asking is for a clean vote to fund the government, with no conditions. If we don't have that, we risk a government default, which would have catastrophic consequences for everyone.
Griffith: Default the government? I don't give a [Inks], I'll do it. Hold me back bro! Hold me back!!!
Boehner: Obama you better agree to this deal here, my man Griffith here is uncontrollable, I can't tell you what he's gonna do if he don't get his way
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2013, 07:45:35 PM »

Do you think, maybe, this sort of thing is an intentional aspect of the GOP's negotiation strategy

Obama: Look. All I'm asking is for a clean vote to fund the government, with no conditions. If we don't have that, we risk a government default, which would have catastrophic consequences for everyone.
Griffith: Default the government? I don't give a [Inks], I'll do it. Hold me back bro! Hold me back!!!
Boehner: Obama you better agree to this deal here, my man Griffith here is uncontrollable, I can't tell you what he's gonna do if he don't get his way

I think I prefer "he's dumb" type of theories over 'It's 4-D Chess" type of theories. I mean, have you seen those guys? Are you sure that they could do something quite intricate as strategy or tactics. The sort of guys who when playing actual 4-D Chess flip the Tesseract over after losing their first pawn insisting on a rematch.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2013, 07:46:49 PM »

These folks even get their early American History wrong. The American Revolution was in no way a rejection of government per se or even of big government. It was a rejection of a King Parliament who thought that they could negate what local, lawfully-elected colonial assemblies enacted and impose taxes without even asking for approval.

Fixed.  Granted, George III went along with what Parliament did, but at least at first, there was some hope in the colonies that the King might side with them and accept their position that they be treated as autonomous realms sharing the same ruler, much as George III ruled in Hanover, Ireland, and Mann in addition to Great Britain.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 08:14:34 PM »

If there is in fact a default, I will be voting straight Democratic next year, and may very well never vote for another Republican in my lifetime. This is what Ted Cruz and his ilk are doing - I hope they're happy when the olds who support them are all dead and the electorate is solely comprised of my generation, who will explain to our children and grandchildren who these crazy people called Republicans were who existed from the mid-19th to early 21st century. I will not even vote for the state/local Republicans I like whose offices have nothing to do with any of this. Not that it would make a difference around here, but if it did they would have to be collateral damage for choosing to associate with such a horrid group of people.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 09:32:44 PM »

Griffith is one of 435, and Boehner has more power than anyone else in the House of representatives.

You get control of the loose cannons, or you render them innocuous even if you must cast them overboard lest you allow your own ship to sink. "I can't control the extremists in my own Party" is no excuse for fail to cut a deal with the aid of the moderates.

If John Boehner can't cut a deal with President Obama, then there might be a female Speaker of the House in January 2015. Initials NP, that is.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2013, 11:43:37 AM »

Griffith is one of 435, and Boehner has more power than anyone else in the House of representatives.

You get control of the loose cannons, or you render them innocuous even if you must cast them overboard lest you allow your own ship to sink. "I can't control the extremists in my own Party" is no excuse for fail to cut a deal with the aid of the moderates.

If John Boehner can't cut a deal with President Obama, then there might be a female Speaker of the House in January 2015. Initials NP, that is.

Boehner is a coward who has no control over his backbenchers. That's the key problem here.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2013, 07:13:58 PM »

Yet there are over 200 potential candidates for each dumb quote. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies