Middle Class for Less
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 14, 2024, 02:02:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Middle Class for Less
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Middle Class for Less  (Read 1859 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2013, 06:40:47 PM »

I wouldn't live in any building over about 4-6 stories.  My god, what if the elevator goes out?  Nonsensical structures.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2013, 06:56:55 PM »

I wouldn't live in any building over about 4-6 stories.  My god, what if the elevator goes out?  Nonsensical structures.

I wouldn't live in the suburbs.  My god, what if it turns out that gasoline is a non-renewable resource and it's running out?  Nonsensical building pattern.

Seriously, though, elevators are the most efficient and sensible mechanized form of transportation known to man- and if its a structure that really needs them, there will almost always be more than one.  But, even so, they're not necessary to reach "urban" levels of density; you can do just fine with rowhomes or even duplexes.

FWIW I live on the first floor of a six-floor building.  I wouldn't need to ever use the elevator, except that there's no other way to get to the garbage and laundry rooms in the basement... which is a little silly IMO but it wasn't a dealbreaker by any means.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »

I wouldn't live in the suburbs.  My god, what if it turns out that gasoline is a non-renewable resource and it's running out?  Nonsensical building pattern.

Sure.  I like the middling density - large towns/small cities with around 4-6 story buildings. Common here, and I think hardly 'suburban' in any way.  To me suburban means 1-2 stories.. only maybe very rarely 3.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2013, 07:03:53 PM »

Sure.  I like the middling density - large towns/small cities with around 4-6 story buildings. Common here, and I think hardly 'suburban' in any way.  To me suburban means 1-2 stories.. only maybe very rarely 3.

Most of Manhattan, let alone NYC, doesn't break six stories.  What's "middling density" in Asia is super-urban here.
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 05:46:02 PM »

Living within your means is a problem our country has had ever since the Great Depression. My grandparents made all food from scratch, had one car, and clothes were passed down for all four of their boys; they also had a girl after the boys were born. Only my grandfather worked, but as the Dean of Science and Engineering at a private and prestigious college. He was very successful with his own engineering company and was appointed as the township's engineer as well bringing in a good bit on the side. I have alot of respect and admiration for him as he was still very involved in his church and the president of the county AAA. Anyhow, they lived a very modest lifestyle and didn't even own a credit card despite a comfortable income. They did things together from the ground up. My grandmother didn't even drive until she was 35. Another modest person I admire is Sean Hannity who has never paid more than $5,000 for a car because it's all he needs.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies