If Reagans revolution failed... (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 26, 2024, 11:50:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  If Reagans revolution failed... (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: If Reagans revolution failed...  (Read 2089 times)
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: October 13, 2013, 10:45:27 PM »

Why do people, moderates, liberals, etc., like to pretend that Nixon was "sensible"? I'd advise that you learn your history to an extent more than "OMG, passed progressive legislation".
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 11:29:55 AM »

Why do people, moderates, liberals, etc., like to pretend that Nixon was "sensible"? I'd advise that you learn your history to an extent more than "OMG, passed progressive legislation".

Given today's Tea Party brand Republicans, I don't think it's at all unreasonable to say he was sensible.  That said, I was also under the delusion that Nixon was a progressive president at one time.

The thing is, people seem to think that "sensibility" and all that other crap is dependent purely on one's political compass score, which is ridiculous. Let's look at what Nixon did with his time in power. In economic policy, he purposefully created a looser monetary supply to give a short-term boost to the economy that he knew wouldn't end well, but needed in order to win re-election. As if Johnson's spending hadn't primed the economy enough to self-destruct in the 70's, Nixon did nothing but add to it. In foreign policy, he purposefully extended the Vietnam War so as to win re-election, getting exactly nothing out of it other than political gain. I don't call that sensible and anyone that proudly aligns with that is utterly ridiculous. Not to mention the ultimate failure of detente, his attempts to dodge de-segregregation, his actions in the last few weeks before election day, 1968, the Plumbers, etc. Jesus Christ, you people.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2013, 11:32:37 AM »

And if y'all don't like Reagan, stop voting so enthusiastically for the guy that helped bring together the political coalition that Reagan won on. Jesus.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies