Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 09:01:02 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What would it take for Washington DC to vote Republican?  (Read 9917 times)
HamRadioRocks
jhsu
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:05:14 pm »
Ignore

Washington DC is so heavily Democratic that no Democratic nominee has ever received less than 74% of the vote.  Marion Barry was elected mayor even after serving time in prison for the infamous cocaine conviction.  Some of you have suggested that DC is so partisan that it would vote for Zell Miller over Lincoln Chaffee.

Because DC has had electoral votes only since 1964, it lacks a voting record under the earlier political alignment.

So what keeps DC so heavily Democratic?  Short of a presidential election taking place when a Republican president has a 90%+ approval rating (like Bush Sr. right after Gulf War I or George W. Bush right after Sept. 11th), what would it take for the Republican nominee to win the 3 electoral votes of Washington DC?

Don't call him McCain, McBush, or McSame. His name is McNicotine! Mr. "Smoke Smoke Smoke, Smoke Smoke Iran" has a tobacco lobbyist for a senior adviser.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2005, 07:10:31 pm »
Ignore

Washington DC is so heavily Democratic that no Democratic nominee has ever received less than 74% of the vote.  Marion Barry was elected mayor even after serving time in prison for the infamous cocaine conviction.  Some of you have suggested that DC is so partisan that it would vote for Zell Miller over Lincoln Chaffee.

Because DC has had electoral votes only since 1964, it lacks a voting record under the earlier political alignment.

So what keeps DC so heavily Democratic?  Short of a presidential election taking place when a Republican president has a 90%+ approval rating (like Bush Sr. right after Gulf War I or George W. Bush right after Sept. 11th), what would it take for the Republican nominee to win the 3 electoral votes of Washington DC?

I think it has more to do with the Democratic nominee than anything else. George Wallace and Zell Miller are examples of Democrats who would not do well in DC.
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2005, 09:55:57 pm »
Ignore

The Democrats will never lose DC. Even if there is another realignment, it will stay with the Democrats, just like Kansas and Nebraska have always stayed with the GOP.

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
HamRadioRocks
jhsu
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2005, 10:10:00 pm »
Ignore

The Democrats will never lose DC. Even if there is another realignment, it will stay with the Democrats, just like Kansas and Nebraska have always stayed with the GOP.
So why do these areas keep sticking with the same party?  Many constituencies have changed as the parties have changed.  For example, African Americans were heavily Republican until the FDR administration and then became heavily Democratic as a result of the New Deal.  The reactionaries of the South used to be heavily Democratic and then turned heavily Republican. 

Don't call him McCain, McBush, or McSame. His name is McNicotine! Mr. "Smoke Smoke Smoke, Smoke Smoke Iran" has a tobacco lobbyist for a senior adviser.
Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2005, 10:16:32 pm »
Ignore

So why do these areas keep sticking with the same party?  Many constituencies have changed as the parties have changed.  For example, African Americans were heavily Republican until the FDR administration and then became heavily Democratic as a result of the New Deal.  The reactionaries of the South used to be heavily Democratic and then turned heavily Republican. 

I've wondered that myself. A while back, I started a thread on Kane County, Utah, which has always voted Republican except in 1916. It really irritates me that those people vote Republican when they're progressive, and still remain loyal when their platform is completely opposite. So why the hell weren't they Democrats back then?

These areas are inexcusable- they must not care about "issues", or "candidates"; they just care about the little R on the ballot.

(And all of that applies to always Democratic areas too, though there aren't many).
« Last Edit: March 09, 2005, 01:21:11 am by Bob »Logged

Here’s what Sarah Palin represents: being a fat fucking pig who pins “Country First” buttons on his man titties and chants “U-S-A! U-S-A!” at the top of his lungs while his kids live off credit cards and Saudis buy up all the mortgages in Kansas.
dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 07:20:24 am »
Ignore

There would have to be a complete political realignment for DC to vote Republican.

Much of DC is non-citizens who can't vote, and many of the citizens who can vote are black.  Even the white citizens tend to be limousine liberals who vote Democratic.  It feeds upon itself - the atmosphere is so unfriendly to Republicans that they choose to live elsewhere.

It's no coincidence in my opinion that a city that is so strongly and mindlessly Democratic is also completely dysfunctional.  The two are usually strongly linked.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2005, 07:10:57 pm »
Ignore

It's no coincidence in my opinion that a city that is so strongly and mindlessly Democratic is also completely dysfunctional.  The two are usually strongly linked.

...Whereas the areas that are strongly and mindlessly Republican are virtual paradises in comparison?  Not in my mind.

Real America demands to know.
dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 07:28:04 pm »
Ignore

...Whereas the areas that are strongly and mindlessly Republican are virtual paradises in comparison?  Not in my mind.

Generally, they're a lot more functional than DC.
phk
phknrocket1k
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 07:32:04 pm »
Ignore

Fresno, California isn't that much more functional, it even boasts a higher poverty rate.

Grad Students are the Worst
Alcon
Moderators
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 08:26:01 pm »
Ignore

That is because they are generally not big cities and tend to be wealthier.

n/c
ian
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2005, 08:28:40 pm »
Ignore

A foreign policy, economic, and socially liberal Republican.

WHY I'M A DEMOCRAT:
"People who wear Christ on their sleeves and vote against helping people are the biggest hypocrites." - Charlie Melancon, in response to the voting down of the Melancon Amendment to raise levee funding.

For my positions on political issues go to:
http://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=18844.msg405414#msg405414

Registered in Mississippi for fantasy politics.  RL resident of Arkansas.  Kentucky avatar for my fav state!
ATFFL
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2005, 08:45:34 pm »
Ignore

A really confusing butterfly ballot.
Redefeatbush04
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2005, 09:28:33 pm »
Ignore

A really confusing butterfly ballot.
^

Man is by nature a political animal - Aristotle
Notre Dame rules!
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 11:42:14 pm »
Ignore

It would take a nuclear strike from the Chi-Comms to kill virtually all of its inhabitants.  No, wait...that wouldn't do it either.  Nope, D.C. remains Democrat.

Econ Left/Right  3.00,  Social Libertarian/Authoritarian  2.97
Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2005, 05:31:06 pm »
Ignore

Even Zell Miller would win DC.  Anyone who has that (D) next to their name on the ballot would carry DC.  No Republican would win unless maybe the Democrat raped their wife and then ate their children on live TV.  If enough saw it, DC could go Repulican, but it would be close.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2005, 07:41:04 pm »
Ignore

Even Zell Miller would win DC.  Anyone who has that (D) next to their name on the ballot would carry DC.  No Republican would win unless maybe the Democrat raped their wife and then ate their children on live TV.  If enough saw it, DC could go Repulican, but it would be close.

Lowell Weicker (R) would easily beat Zell Miller (D), it wouldn't even be close.
Jake
dubya2004
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2005, 07:52:03 pm »
Ignore

Lowell Weicker (R) would easily beat Zell Miller (D), it wouldn't even be close.

There would be enough Democratic pocket voters to push Zell over the top.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Moderators
YaBB God
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: 1.38, S: -1.74

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2005, 07:59:05 pm »
Ignore

Ehem!

Rob
Bob
YaBB God
United States
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2005, 09:04:40 pm »
Ignore

Ehem!

That was only because Byran was from Nebraska, and the farmers were starving. Even then, his margins were fairly narrow. They reverted to their traditional Republicanism in 1900.

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2005, 07:13:27 pm »
Ignore

Seeing as how Vermont used to vote for the Republicans in terms of about 65%-80% for a large part of the 20th century, and now is probably the safest Democratic state after DC itself, I'd say anything is possible.  The reason Vermont switched is because of the political shifts of the two parties, and the demographic shift (rich liberal New Yorkers emigrating to the small towns up north).

So, despite the fact that DC currently votes Democratic in similar margins as Vermont used to for the Republicans, I'd say DC could actually vote Republican in the distant future.  But only under similar circumstances; i.e. another party realignment or a demographic shift.  Coupled perhaps with an economic boom.

Real America demands to know.
WMS
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 0.35

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2005, 11:17:45 pm »
Ignore

A meteor hits DC, destroying the east half of the city.

Then, the Dems run a pro-life populist while the Reps run a pro-choice gay libertarian (why gay? well, there IS a gay libertarian Rep City Councillor up in the rich NW Dupont Circle area, right?), and some leftist Green lunatic runs a strong campaign.

Final result: 33.4% R - 33.3% D - 33.3% G

Grin

The political class has demonized the working class because the political class no longer represents the working class.  Neither Republicans or Democrats.
Political Beliefs Summarized:
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2005, 03:39:05 pm »
Ignore

Hitler (D) vs. Kerry (R)

Brace yourselves for me.

Economic Left/Right: 7.05
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.67
Beet
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2005, 04:44:42 pm »
Ignore

The bigger question is, why are most cities so Democratic?

dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2005, 06:37:47 am »
Ignore

I don't think even that would make DC vote Republican.  I think the people there are pretty much brain dead, and the state of their city proves it.  If Congress hadn't basically taken over because it was a disgrace to have such a dysfunctional city as the nation's capital, DC, aside from the national mall area, would have descended to the level of a third-world city.
dazzleman
YaBB God
Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2005, 06:39:23 am »
Ignore

The bigger question is, why are most cities so Democratic?

The more dysfunctional a city's population is, the more heavily Democratic it will vote.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout