So is Boehner's job really in danger?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:08:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  So is Boehner's job really in danger?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: What happens to Speaker John Boehner now?
Boehner will be ousted by Republicans within a month

Boehner will be ousted by the end of January

Boehner will be ousted later in 2014 but before the midterms

Republicans will replace Boehner after the midterms

Boehner will be replaced after Democrats retake the House in 2014

Boehner will remain Speaker after the 2014 midterms

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Author Topic: So is Boehner's job really in danger?  (Read 3590 times)
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2013, 05:15:24 PM »

Option 4.  GOP will lose half a dozen or so seats and use it as an excuse to punish Boehner.

I think this is pretty much right. Democrats will make gains in the House, but an 18 seat swing is pretty tough, and I don't know that we're looking at any kind of wave election in 2014. Maybe if the election was held today it would be, but we've got a year to go.

So Republicans will lose enough seats to get worried. Republicans will make Boehner the scapegoat, and he'll step down once the writing is on the wall just like Newt did rather than force a leadership fight.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2013, 05:29:18 PM »

The Dems can win the House if Team Obama does a massive GOTV drive that targets every Democratic sympathizing voter in every swing house district to vote in midterms.  It's possible.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2013, 08:21:59 PM »
« Edited: October 17, 2013, 08:55:44 PM by Indeed »

Option 4.  GOP will lose half a dozen or so seats and use it as an excuse to punish Boehner.

I would say they lose about 8 or 9 seats and fail to take the Senate. Boehner will probably resign because of it.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2013, 09:17:52 PM »

Boehner I doubt will be going anywhere, unless he wants to quit, or there is a plausible and uniting replacement. I tend to doubt either will obtain, but who knows?  My take is that most of this is about posturing. It was a theatre of the absurd where folks were attempting to move poll numbers, rather than having the slightest interest in fashioning good public policy. The Capitol is awash in small minded careerists. Pathetic and sad.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2013, 09:20:55 PM »

Are you serious? Of course the House isn't going to flip D in 2014. Don't kid yourself.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2013, 10:04:18 PM »

Are you serious? Of course the House isn't going to flip D in 2014. Don't kid yourself.

If the Republicans pull this kind of nonsense again in February, when the election is that much closer, it just might.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: October 17, 2013, 10:13:49 PM »

Democrats will fall short of enough seats for a majority, but Boehner will not have enough votes to remain Speaker.  He barely got 218 last time around, so I doubt he'll have the numbers next time, he probably won't even stand for Speaker again.
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2013, 10:23:09 PM »

I'm not sure.  If anything, I see the guy stepping down.  Much as I'd like to see the Democrats take the house back in 2014, I think it is fairly safe to assume that isn't going to happen (probably be awhile for that folks).  I don't see the Republicans ousting him because:
A.  They don't have a real reason to (at least the majority of them don't).
B.  Who the hell wants to have to deal with the nonsense he does? 
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 06:27:19 AM »

The more shutdowns happen, the more it will effect both parties. Eventually, the individual mandate and debt ceiling will become an election issue if the shutdowns continue. This could spell trouble for Obama which would lead to Democrats not doing as well as some think next year. Right now it looks bad for Republicans but the longer things linger, the more both parties will be blamed.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 06:29:15 AM »

One word:

Gerrymander
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 06:20:57 PM »

You forgot the option that says John Boehner won't be re-elected to his House seat in 2014.

Technically this has no bearing on any of the poll options because you don't have to be in Congress to be Speaker.

You forgot the option that says John Boehner won't be re-elected to his House seat in 2014.
You mean the one where he got reelected to with 64%.  In 2006?

A loss from a primary challenge would be more likely than a loss in the general election, IMO. Not that either will happen.

This isn't impossible considering the state of things. I would've said no before, but considering what egg Boehner has on his face and there's no chance of a Democrat taking this seat, MAYBE his challenger (who seems like a sane variety of hardline conservative) might use this to build enough momentum to have an equivalent chance of winning as McConnell's Tea Party challenger.

Though you'd think a guy whose professional background as a CEO of a computer consulting company wouldn't have such a crappy low-tech looking website. Tongue
hopper
United States

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 08:05:30 PM »

He will probably just retire after the 2014 mid-terms. I just don't think he has the patience to deal with those 40-50 Tea Party Republicans till 2016. I would like to see McCarthy be Speaker even if he hasn't been in the US House as long as previous House Speakers have. Boehner, Pelosi, and Gingrich had to wait a long time for their turn at their gavel.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies