Blacks Increasingly Receptive to the Republican Party
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:20:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Blacks Increasingly Receptive to the Republican Party
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Blacks Increasingly Receptive to the Republican Party  (Read 2539 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 05, 2005, 09:35:05 PM »
« edited: March 06, 2005, 03:24:33 AM by Frodo »

Black Churches Struggle Over Their Role in Politics

By NEELA BANERJEE
Published: March 6, 2005

A tug of war is under way inside black churches over who speaks for African-Americans and what role to play in politics, spurred by conservative black clergy members who are looking to align themselves more closely with President Bush.

The struggle, mainly among black Protestants, is taking place in pulpits, church conventions, on op-ed pages and on the airwaves, and the president himself began his second term with a meeting in the White House with black clergy members and civic leaders who supported his re-election.

Bishop Harry R. Jackson Jr., the pastor of the Hope Christian Church in College Park, Md., is part of a new breed of leaders who have warmed to the Republican stand on social values. He paraphrases Newt Gingrich as he stumps the country to promote a "Black Contract With America on Moral Values," whose top priorities include opposition to same-sex marriage and abortion.

"Historically when societies have gone off kilter, there has been rampant same-sex marriage," Mr. Jackson said in an interview. "What tends to happen is that people tend to devalue the institution of marriage as a whole. People start rearing kids without two parents, and the black community already has this incredibly alarming and, if I may say, this shameful number of babies being born without fathers."

He said he hoped to collect a million signatures of support this year.

Efforts like Mr. Jackson's have brought a sharp reaction from other black ministers, who bridle at putting their energies into fighting same-sex marriage.

"Oppression is oppression is oppression," said the Rev. Kelvin Calloway, pastor of the Second A.M.E. Church in Los Angeles. "Just because we're not the ones who are being oppressed now, do we not stand with those oppressed now? That is the biblical mandate. That's what Jesus is all about."

At the heart of the debate, church leaders say, is whether to stay focused primarily on issues like job creation, education, affirmative action, prison reform and health care, which have drawn blacks closer to the Democratic Party, or whether to put more emphasis on issues of personal morality, like opposition to abortion and same-sex marriage, which would place them deeper in the Republican camp.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/03/06/politics/06clergy.html
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 03:21:26 AM »

I wish blacks were teetering between the two parties.  If they are, they're teetering 90-10.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 03:24:53 AM »

better?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 07:26:49 AM »

I have long believed that blacks would be better served if their vote were competitive for both parties.  That has almost never been the case. 

During the time that blacks voted almost completely Republican, hardly any blacks were even allowed to vote, and the Republicans did little for them.  Now they vote largely Democratic and face no impediments to voting (despite the imaginary claims of desperate Democrats), but the Democrats have simply aligned themselves with black "leaders" who wish to prolong racial tensions for their own benefit.  There is a crushing stultification of ideas in the black community, caused by a mind-numbing demand for conformity and political correctness.

New ideas are needed, and there need to be a competitive marketplace of ideas.  Black allegiance to both the major political ideologies would be a major step in the right direction.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2005, 10:58:11 AM »

As a whole, where do racial and ethnic groups stand on issues not related to race (abortion, gay marriage, Bush's tax cuts, etc.)?  Have there been any polls on this?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2005, 11:03:36 AM »

As a whole, where do racial and ethnic groups stand on issues not related to race (abortion, gay marriage, Bush's tax cuts, etc.)?  Have there been any polls on this?

I'm sure there have been, but I can't quote details.

My understanding is that blacks are more opposed to gay marriage than the population as a whole.  I am not sure of the overall black position on abortion.  I assume that blacks oppose Bush's tax cuts.

Blacks are generally more socially conservative than whites, especially rural blacks who have remained in the south.

Because blacks have less margin for error in their life than whites, they tend to be more extreme in their opinions and behaviors.  As an example, I know many blacks who never drank, touched drugs, or got involved in any of the other "mischief" that "normal" white teenagers get involved in, because their parents impressed upon them that in the environment in which they lived, a slip-up in that direction could lead to dire results, something that is not usually the case for suburban whites.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2005, 11:04:12 AM »

According to one story I recently heard, a black professional basketball player was discussing politics with his mother. He mentioned that he was planning to vote Republican. She said " But son, the Republicans are for rich people!". He replied, " But mom, I am rich."
Leif Ericson
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 11:04:24 AM »

It seems as if minorities tend to be socially conservative. Example:

This past election, almost 70% of Wayne County, Michigan, voted for John Kerry. However, about 60% (I believe) voted for the amendment to ban gay marriage in the state. A huge portion of this county is composed of Arabs and blacks.
MHS2002

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 1.57

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2005, 11:11:08 AM »

According to one story I recently heard, a black professional basketball player was discussing politics with his mother. He mentioned that he was planning to vote Republican. She said " But son, the Republicans are for rich people!". He replied, " But mom, I am rich."

I thought Charles Barkley said something like that.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2005, 11:49:25 AM »

If the black vote ever splits 50-50 or close to it the Democratic party is in deep trouble nationally.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2005, 11:53:35 AM »

If the black vote ever splits 50-50 or close to it the Democratic party is in deep trouble nationally.

If the black vote goes 50-50 a traditionally republican group will split also. Every gain is a loss somewhere else.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2005, 01:17:32 PM »

If the black vote goes 50-50 a traditionally republican group will split also. Every gain is a loss somewhere else.

You're generally right, but it is possible to pick up gains that are bigger than your losses, resulting in a net gain.  However, if Republicans pick up 50% of the black vote, they will definitely lose in other areas.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2005, 01:40:21 PM »

We might get two black Republican Governors in 2006. Ken Blackwell, the Republican Sec. of State in Ohio, will be running for Governor and Lynn Swann, chair of the President's Fitness Council, will be running for Governor in PA.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2005, 02:14:04 PM »

This is hilarious - far from the white working class coming to its senses about its economic interests, we are seeing the black working class loose its economic sense? 

That gay hating is powerful stuff! 
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2005, 02:17:41 PM »

We might get two black Republican Governors in 2006. Ken Blackwell, the Republican Sec. of State in Ohio, will be running for Governor and Lynn Swann, chair of the President's Fitness Council, will be running for Governor in PA.

Lynn Swann wont win, the 97' Kerry Donation will be brought up.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2005, 02:59:50 PM »

Last time it came close to that was 1960.  The Democrats don't have enough votes in other parts of the country to make up for it now, though.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2005, 05:32:37 PM »

O/c the chances of the black vote even coming close to 50/50 is tiny... bearing in mind economic factors most blacks would be Democrats if they were white.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2005, 05:36:35 PM »

And then the President (Swann's boss) will come to PA and campaign for him. Nice try.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2005, 05:07:00 PM »

It's always puzzled me why most blacks support abortion, or vote in favor of candidates who do.  Other than that, blacks being Democratic makes sense.  Kennedy started it, and Lyndon Johnson and Hubert Humphrey sealed the alliance, which still lasts today.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2005, 05:13:27 PM »

The black vote isn't overly relevant... the GOP probably could pick up some black votes without losing anyone else, just by educating voters on what the parties actually stand for-- many black voters really don't know, except they know all the other black people are voting Democrat. But is it worth the $$?
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2005, 07:04:18 PM »

I don't know. That actually could play very very well in some areas.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2005, 07:17:26 PM »

He means in the primary. I then explained to him that since he works for the President and that he'd campaign for Swann.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2005, 07:17:55 PM »

Unless an insurgent Toomeyite comes up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2005, 07:19:17 PM »

Unless an insurgent Toomeyite comes up.

The race is pretty much between Scranton, Piccola and Swann. Conservatives will go with Swann.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2005, 07:21:17 PM »

Whose the quintessential RINO candidate out of Scranton and Piccola?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies